Guns N' Roses

Chinese Democracy' Single Is A Radio Smash Hit/ The reasons why they wrote CD

Chinese Democracy Starts Now! With A Bang!

Some artists can stay away almost two decades and come roaring back with hits. Take Axl Rose. The title track from the new Guns N' Roses album hit radio on Wednesday and within a day it was already getting more airplay than the No. 1 song on Billboard's Mainstream Rock radio chart.

According to Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems, between 5:00 a.m. EST on October 22 and 5:00 a.m. EST on 23, Guns N' Roses new single, "Chinese Democracy", was played 683 times on all BDS-monitored terrestrial and satellite radio stations. WAAF-FM in Boston and WHJY-FM in Providence both played it 18 times during that time period. WBSX-FM in Wilkes-Barre was next with 17 spins. By comparison, the #1 song on the Billboard Mainstream Rock radio chart was spun 322 times on October 22, with 526 spins overall.

According to Wikipedia, Axl Rose introduced the first live performance of the song on January 1, 2001 at the House of Blues in Las Vegas with the following introduction:

"The movie Kundun was on about the Dalai Lama. I was getting ready to leave, the TV was on and it was the end of the movie. And the Dalai Lama is about to cross over the border, to you know, be in exile for the rest of his life from his own country. And he looks back at the men who helped him, and you know he’s escaped the Chinese government. And he looks back at them and he waves and they wave at him. And then they show a scene where he looks back at them again and he sees every one of them dead. Because he knew they would be killed, and they knew that in helping him they would be killed. And you know the emotion in this next song, that’s all that’s about. It’s not like an intelligent song. It doesn’t have the answer to anything. And it's not necessarily pro or con about China. It's just that right now China symbolizes one of the strongest, yet most oppressive countries and governments in the world. And we are fortunate to live in a free country. And so in thinking about that it just kinda upset me, and we wrote this little song called "Chinese Democracy."

Recording

• Former band consultant Tom Zutaut has said that Rose wanted drums on the track mixed to sound like Dave Grohl's performance on the Nirvana song "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Personnel

• Axl Rose - vocals, keyboards, arrangement, digital editing

• Robin Finck – guitar

• Richard Fortus - rhythm guitar

• Bumblefoot – fretless rhythm guitar

• Tommy Stinson – bass guitar, background vocals

• Chris Pitman – keyboards, sub bass, guitar processing

• Dizzy Reed - keyboards, background vocals

• Frank Ferrer - drums, percussion

Additional Personnel

• Buckethead – lead guitar

• Paul Tobias - rhythm guitar, arrangement

• Caram Costanzo - intro, digital editing

• Sean Beavan - intro, arrangement, digital editing

• Eric Caudieux - intro, digital editing

• Like 1

Nah, for me they went downhill when axl rose got cornrows.

That's when their credibility died ;-) You also forgot to mention the botox...

3721.jpg

He looks more like a scary PE teacher than a rock star there ^^

I downloaded a "chinese democracy" album about a year ago with new stuff on it which was pretty decent. Axl should give it up, that album is never getting released. They lost another guitarist recently too lol

lol....FOOLS! All FOOLS I SAY!

Anyways, They shall make a return! I good one at that!

And Robin Fnck went back to NIN. I personally think he looked better in GN'R...He looks like a freak in NIN.

Axl Rose down hill? he can't get any lower than this lol, Unless Chinese Democracy is a big flop.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
WHAT IS THIS TOM FOOLERY? O_O

Tom Who? :uhh:

Is he the next guy Axl's gonna bring in to the band? :P

The new song sounds good imo. Not the usual GNR I would have expected, Axl sounds really mad. Maybe a can of Dr Pepper will calm him down? ;-) I love the guitar playing on the song, the song actually reminds me more of the songs from Velvet Revolver's Contraband album, sound and production wise.

Guest JadeIsRad
Tom Who? :uhh:

Is he the next guy Axl's gonna bring in to the band? :P

The new song sounds good imo. Not the usual GNR I would have expected, Axl sounds really mad. Maybe a can of Dr Pepper will calm him down? ;-) I love the guitar playing on the song, the song actually reminds me more of the songs from Velvet Revolver's Contraband album, sound and production wise.

Hahaha Andrew, you weirdo :hug:

• 2 weeks later...