Demi Lovato

Guest JadeIsRad

I'm sorry but you can't try to reason with someone on the basis that "she listens to good music". That has, really, no bearing on how she sounds. Granted, said acts may influence her and she may model parts of her performances on them or whatever but to suggest that a "great taste in music" separates her from her peers isn't exactly a coherent argument.

Particularly when one of the bands listed is underOATH. Who you either love or hate. Case in point. McFly. They listen to Brand New, that doesn't make me want to listen to them. Just because an act listens to particular groups does not give them any credibility or anyone anymore of a reason to listen to them.

In saying all that, I don't mind Demi Lovato as much as the rest of them. Definitely one of the better acts in her "genre".

hahahhaahaha. wow.

seriously that was quite alot to say for one little comment.

the person asked wat sets her apart. her taste in music was one of them cause most disney people only like pop.

^the fact that she likes the music i do did get me to give her a try. and she is reali good!

i dont see the big deal about this:roll:

haha yeah me too! lol.

i think if it wasnt for the fact that paramore is her fave band...i doubt i would have

taken the time out to listen to her songs. and after a few days...she just sorta grew on me.

but i do think that what demi listens to i believe does have something to

do with her music because it influences her. you may not be able

to hear it on her album....cuz people say that it's too poppy, but if you listen

to some of her old material, it's actually veryy different.

• Like 1

^^FINALLY! some one who gets wat im saying :]

and im sure if demi's favorite artist was britney spears. her music would sound differnt.

so who artists listen to does effect there music

hahaha yeah definitely!

who you look up to as an artist music-wise, their music will definitely have an impact on your own music.

I just didn't see the relevance of someone's music taste to their musical ability or the way they sound. Look at bands like All Time Low/The Maine etc who listen to rap/hip-hop fairly extensively. Does that mean their music consists of dropping "phat beats" and laying one down freestyle? No, it doesn't. Because she listens to Paramore doesn't necessarily mean she'll sound like Paramore. To use my McFly example again, they listen to Brand New but that doesn't mean they sound like Brand New.

I just didn't see the relevance of someone's music taste to their musical ability or the way they sound. Look at bands like All Time Low/The Maine etc who listen to rap/hip-hop fairly extensively. Does that mean their music consists of dropping "phat beats" and laying one down freestyle? No, it doesn't. Because she listens to Paramore doesn't necessarily mean she'll sound like Paramore. To use my McFly example again, they listen to Brand New but that doesn't mean they sound like Brand New.

agreeed. i like to listen to fergie and brittney, but i dont sing like themm.

i never said that the music they listen to will sound EXACTLY like the music they produce. all i said was that the music demi listens to does make an influence on what type of music she puts out there. and of course a lot of you are going to say that her album sounds really pop, well what do you expect? the jonas brothers co-produced HALF of her songs...so of course it will sound very pop, disney doesnt want deep, emotional songs coming from a young rising artist like demi...they want songs that young girls can jump around to and will be a hit on the radio. hence why jb got involved cuz demi isnt used to writing those type of lyrics.

and duh, we all listen to a wide variety of genres, we dont just constrict ourselves with genres that all sound similar. i listen to hip hop as well...but doesnt mean that i'll be writing songs about strippers going down the pole and how big the rims are on my cadillac escalade.

anyways...what i was trying to say in the begining was that demi's taste in music was what got me interested in the first place. =/

mahaha they should lay down the phat beats fursure! haha

paramore likes brittney spears but they dont sound liike her

we the kings listen to crappy rap but they arent rappers

the maine listens to jacks mannequin and death cab but they dont sound like them

all time low likes jacks mannequin also they dont sound like them

a cursive memory is influenced by the beach boys...they dont sound like them

so if you say demi is good because she listens to such and such and you can here it in her music...that makes no sense

if shes trying to sound like them then shes obviously not creative.

When someone asks what sets her apart from other artists, you can't say she listens to good music. I'm not disputing any fact that favourite artists can influence your sound, but it's not really a valid answer. Everything else that was given, such as she has talent, I have no problems with. It was entirely relevant to the question and provided a decent answer. I'm not disputing the fact that because she listens to bands you like is a valid reason for you to like her, but when someone comes on and asks what makes her different you want to hear "good voice, good lyrics, talent/potential" and the likes. Not "she listens to underoath." Surely you see what I'm getting at here?

When someone asks what sets her apart from other artists, you can't say she listens to good music. I'm not disputing any fact that favourite artists can influence your sound, but it's not really a valid answer. Everything else that was given, such as she has talent, I have no problems with. It was entirely relevant to the question and provided a decent answer. I'm not disputing the fact that because she listens to bands you like is a valid reason for you to like her, but when someone comes on and asks what makes her different you want to hear "good voice, good lyrics, talent/potential" and the likes. Not "she listens to underoath." Surely you see what I'm getting at here?

lol yes ross. i can definitely see where you are going at. and you do make very valid reasons...but i never once said that the music she listens to is what sets her apart.....if you look back...i actually listed what i think may be valid reasons to the question that was asked. =/

and may i just add that i was comparing demi to other disney artists...and not just other artists in general.

lol yes ross. i can definitely see where you are going at. and you do make very valid reasons...but i never once said that the music she listens to is what sets her apart.....if you look back...i actually listed what i think may be valid reasons to the question that was asked. =/

and may i just add that i was comparing demi to other disney artists...and not just other artists in general.

Oh no, I never had any gripe with your response to the question. All that you said related pretty much perfectly. I just didn't see the relevance of what bands she listens to, to what sets her apart. I can't remember who actually said it now haha.

I knew you were comparing her to other Disney acts, I thought we all were? haha

Oh no, I never had any gripe with your response to the question. All that you said related pretty much perfectly. I just didn't see the relevance of what bands she listens to, to what sets her apart. I can't remember who actually said it now haha.

I knew you were comparing her to other Disney acts, I thought we all were? haha

hahaha. ohh, ok. yeah.

now im not as confused as to what point you were trying to

get across. sorry, sometimes i over-analyze a lot of what people say.lol

and well the person who asked the question in the first place put, "what makes her different from other artists" and i just wanted to make sure that we were comparing her to disney and not like a random artist like chris brown.lol

hahaha. ohh, ok. yeah.

now im not as confused as to what point you were trying to

get across. sorry, sometimes i over-analyze a lot of what people say.lol

and well the person who asked the question in the first place put, "what makes her different from other artists" and i just wanted to make sure that we were comparing her to disney and not like a random artist like chris brown.lol

My main point was that just because an artist listens to band X or band Y it does not make them either: a) a good artist or B) give them credibility.

Yeah, I think the original question was a broad one about every sort of artist but I think we all kept it, at least, within her genre - if not, within the Disney bracket.

My main point was that just because an artist listens to band X or band Y it does not make them either: a) a good artist or B) give them credibility.

Yeah, I think the original question was a broad one about every sort of artist but I think we all kept it, at least, within her genre - if not, within the Disney bracket.

hahaha yeahh, ok now i agree with you.lol

i think this was the most productive discussion i've ever had

with another board member! lol. =)

im used to discussions where people end up cussing each other out.hahaha

hahaha yeahh, ok now i agree with you.lol

i think this was the most productive discussion i've ever had

with another board member! lol. =)

im used to discussions where people end up cussing each other out.hahaha

Yes, exactly! That's why I kept this one going. It's good to have mature discussions, particularly when most discussions here do resort to some form of ad hominem argument. Although, they are usually much funnier!

• Like 1

Yes, exactly! That's why I kept this one going. It's good to have mature discussions, particularly when most discussions here do resort to some form of ad hominem argument. Although, they are usually much funnier!

hahaha yeahh!

its refreshing to finally have a mature talk with another mature

member. =)

and yeahh...all the other ones are funny to read, but i try to stay out of it.lol

ross, i think you'd be a very good person to debate with. :)

hahaha yeahh!

its refreshing to finally have a mature talk with another mature

member. =)

and yeahh...all the other ones are funny to read, but i try to stay out of it.lol

ross, i think you'd be a very good person to debate with. :)

Yeah, I mean I don't have a "problem" with swearing but if you are in a serious discussion your argument looks and sounds much more weighted and mature so I try to keep away from it as best I can.

As are you! I'm actually hoping the person who asked the first question comes back with a followup:p haha

fuck!!! demi is amazing live!!! watch this vid

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=w00Wja4wXPI

haha yeah! she really is! =]

also videos of her performance from somedia are incredible as well! =]

and kidd kraddick interview!

pretty funny. =)

http://www.kiddlive.com/video.asp?channel=Featured+Videos&clipid=2539_387698&bitrate=300&format=flash

[lol, its hilarious how demi is so easily confused.]