Remembering September 11th (9/11)

lilley_1

I once gave 5 euros (7 dollars) to a beggar, he raised up and kissed my hand several times like a manservant would kiss his king's hand.

I was stunned. :P

Oh my goodness, I would've cryed! That's sweet. I mean, it's like he was showing he was so greatful.

I wish I had billions of dollars, I give at least 50,000 dollars to each one!

aww yes!

thats so nice

Well, it was nice for me to give him the 7 dollars, but when you think about it, It's not very nice.

We have a lot, we get a lot, and he is so grateful for just 7 dollars.

There is definitely something going wrong in this world.

but sometimes homeless people can be very rude.

it makes me aggravated to see that.

What makes you say this ?

Did you experienced anything bad with them ?

I'd say that the kids that are starving to death every day and have horrible diseases with no treatment is worse than a terrorist attack. As we can prevent those kids from starving to death and we know that thousands of people will be dieing tomorrow, yet we go along with our happy little lives.

The problem with people in the African countries, is their governments. Which is why I don't give money, because I know that the money is going straight into the hands of the corrupt politicians. Look at Robert Mugabe.

Yes, but It's always better than nothing ... I'm already happy people are giving something, even though It's only a dollar ...

We can't do better, we're not rich people, It's all in the government hands. They are the ones that could give millions in a day for charity, just like they did for the tsunami case.

The major countries of the world are struggling at the moment (there's like an economy recession in nearly every European country) so I doubt any countries could actually give money to the poorer countries, and if they did then it'd go to corrupt politicians as I mentioned above.

I sometimes give to beggars, but sometimes they really are just doing it for drugs though.

That happens a lot here, a lot of people begging for money and you just know they want it just for drugs.

I'm a bit skeptical anyway about tramps/bums on the street. There's one here where I live who a lot of people say is actually really rich. He once found a guy's wallet and returned it to the guy it belonged too but refused to take a reward from him. Good old Tea Cosy Pete! The guy has got the massive beard, dirty clothes, carries a black bag around with him.

Actually lol I just remembered, Steve who volunteers where I work, actually OWES him money :lol: That sounds stupid I know. Don't be so sure that all people living on the streets don't have money ;-)

• Like 2

ok i was just going through this. this comment might be a bit late; i stopped reading after page eleven. and i don't know who i'm saying this to, i can't remember.

please don't take this the wrong way or turn it into an argument. it is merely an explaination.

we are fully aware of the victims of the earthquake in china, the genocide in darfur, and other foreign problems (with the exception of some ignorant americans, of course). we are also aware that other events have yielded more casualties than this day. but we as americans mourn 9/11 because it was an AMERICAN tragedy. 9/11 was the first time that another country was really able to do some serious damage to the country. americans simply were not used to it. we thought we were invincible, and we obviously weren't. go on google and type in "9/11, missed signals" or something like that. we weren't prepared and it came as a shock. just because we don't dedicate days to other countries' tragedies doesn't mean we don't care or don't know. america is not obligated to acknowledge any of that. or even 9/11, for that matter. we just do it because it literally hit so close to home for us. i'm not sure why i have to explain that, but there you go.

i'm sorry if i'm coming off rude, but i'm sick of trying to defend myself just for living in this country.

• Like 1

holy crap... I just read all that happened while I was gone and I'm just simply shocked so I'll just say a few things and get out of here.

1) This thread was never meant to shove anything down anybodys throat. If I did that I'm sorry.

2) I never wanted this to turn into a political discussion. It was meant to remember the American Tradegy.

3) As for the countries in Africa, they are rulled by dictators which is why I don't give money. It goes into the rulers pockets and not the people who need them. We can give all we want but until there is a political revolution it will do nothing. Same goes with any country ruled by a dictator.

4) Yes, yes I am a republican and I'm proud of it.

5) A lot of the problems that we are going through we actually caused by Democrats (ironically). This democratic congress has a 9% approval rate and the major reason why is that they do nothing. If the congress does nothing then the president can't do much either. Therefore we can't blame Bush for everything. A lot of the recession was actually, in my opinion , was caused by the min wage increase. More money = more inflation = higher prices across the board whether it be for groceries or gas or pretty much anything. Also Nancy Pelosi (current speaker of the house) is very agenda minded and won't help us solve the energy crisis. Drilling in Alaska , even though not an immediate rememdy, could help us in the long run.

6) I do beleive Iraq wasn't the best decision but we can't get out now. Its just too risky and don't beleive the conspiracy theories. They are not based on fact. Simply why would we go to war for oil and we have untapped resources here. It doesn't make sense.

7) Monkee (whatever your name is) you are getting rep from me if it will let me.

8-) This thread is gonna be locked soon and I'm sorry if I aggravated this situation but I needed to say my peace.

5) A lot of the problems that we are going through we actually caused by Democrats (ironically). This democratic congress has a 9% approval rate and the major reason why is that they do nothing. If the congress does nothing then the president can't do much either. Therefore we can't blame Bush for everything. A lot of the recession was actually, in my opinion , was caused by the min wage increase. More money = more inflation = higher prices across the board whether it be for groceries or gas or pretty much anything. Also Nancy Pelosi (current speaker of the house) is very agenda minded and won't help us solve the energy crisis. Drilling in Alaska , even though not an immediate rememdy, could help us in the long run.

First off, the congress approval rating is rarely higher than like 40%. The only time it ever shot up was after 9/11 as them and Bush were expected to be our guardian angels to keep us from harm. The rating plummeted soon after.

Also you do know that the Dems have only had control of Congress for the past 2 years right? What about the loads of nothing that the Republican majority congress did in the first 6 years of Bush's terms? Don't feed me that unfounded shit.

And there is no sense drilling in America for oil, it will take 10-15 years before it even makes a sliver of a difference. By then, we'll be getting alternative energy more than ever. We should be funding alternative energy research, not drilling more oil when it won't make a difference anyway.

6) I do beleive Iraq wasn't the best decision but we can't get out now. Its just too risky and don't beleive the conspiracy theories. They are not based on fact. Simply why would we go to war for oil and we have untapped resources here. It doesn't make sense.

The Iraqi government has been making get out noises for a while now. We should just slowly move out and let them handle it, as they seem to want it just as much as we do now. And it's been calming down a lot there recently, we have no reason to believe they couldn't handle it on their own at this point.

First off, the congress approval rating is rarely higher than like 40%. The only time it ever shot up was after 9/11 as them and Bush were expected to be our guardian angels to keep us from harm. The rating plummeted soon after.

Also you do know that the Dems have only had control of Congress for the past 2 years right? What about the loads of nothing that the Republican majority congress did in the first 6 years of Bush's terms? Don't feed me that unfounded shit.

And there is no sense drilling in America for oil, it will take 10-15 years before it even makes a sliver of a difference. By then, we'll be getting alternative energy more than ever. We should be funding alternative energy research, not drilling more oil when it won't make a difference anyway.

The Iraqi government has been making get out noises for a while now. We should just slowly move out and let them handle it, as they seem to want it just as much as we do now. And it's been calming down a lot there recently, we have no reason to believe they couldn't handle it on their own at this point.

First off 9% is really bad, even if the norm is 40%. Secondly I want an all around plan which would include alternative fuels as well as drilling. However a good alternative fuel is still years away. Ethanol is actually counter-productive if you read the research. Thirdly I meant pulling everything out now would be a mistake. When the conditions are right we need to pull out slowly. I'm not against that but it needs to be based and conditions on the ground not what people think over here. The media never reports anything good that happens in Iraq and thats why so many are against it. I had a friend that was stationed in Germany a couple of years ago and WWII has been over for over a half of century.

First off 9% is really bad, even if the norm is 40%.

That's not the norm, that's how high it ever gets. It's around 20% a lot. Congress is never highly approved of, so the approval rating for them says very little. Yeah this one has low approval, but would the Republicans be doing better? No. And Bush has an extremely low approval rating for president.

Secondly I want an all around plan which would include alternative fuels as well as drilling. However a good alternative fuel is still years away. Ethanol is actually counter-productive if you read the research.

Fuck ethanol. When did I say a thing about that? Solar energy is the future. We recently discovered how to efficiently store it and it will be mass-produced in about 10 years. Let's concentrate on that, not something that will be too little too late with oil drilling.

Thirdly I meant pulling everything out now would be a mistake. When the conditions are right we need to pull out slowly. I'm not against that but it needs to be based and conditions on the ground not what people think over here.

Pulling out slowly is the only way to pull out. I agree.

I had a friend that was stationed in Germany a couple of years ago and WWII has been over for over a half of century.

We have people everywhere in the world. Of course there will be people still around, the thing is we won't be occupying it.

Fuck ethanol. When did I say a thing about that? Solar energy is the future. We recently discovered how to efficiently store it and it will be mass-produced in about 10 years. Let's concentrate on that, not something that will be too little too late with oil drilling.

I'm sorry its just that everyone in my hometown is all for ethanol for some reason. So yeah I know you didn't say it. Also not everyone is gonna have a solar power car in 10 years and what if there happens to be some kind of defect in with it? Now I don't know much about solar energy but I just don't think we should be all of our eggs in one basket. Plus oil is used for everything these days. About 10% of all oil is used in things like plastics and even in food. If we could get that from here , then we wouldn't have to appease foreign dictatorships for it.

edit: indabisofmisery, the congress approval rate, as a whole, is 9% right now. Its never really high but thats just sad.