Hi everyone!

SalsaC

Okay, after I heard That's What You Get for the 34563456#&(%(/%&79679th time in just a few weeks, I was ready to rip my ears off. This was, I don't know, 2 years ago?

Then, a couple of months ago, this song came on the radio. I was doing something else at the same time, but as soon as the chorus hit, I was like :uhh:

Rarely the vocalist catches my attention first as I am more of a guitar player, but this girl had something about her voice that made my ears just soak it all in and ask for more. I thought the band was Within Temptation or Evanescence or something like that, and I knew I had to get their albums RIGHT AWAY. But then the radio host went "And that was Paramore with their new single "Decode"

Let's stop there and explore my musical background a bit. Like I said, I play electric guitar, been playing for about 4 years now, and about 1,5 years ago I started taking lessons on classical guitar and piano as well.

I'm ashamed to say that I thought I was pretty open minded when it came to music, seeing how I listened to a vast collection of different artists from various genres, but I admit, I had a deep prejudice against bands like Paramore from the mainstream pop/punk/rock/ scene or whatever you want to call it.

The most prominent genres in my music collection are:

Progressive rock

Progressive metal

Death Metal

Hardcore

Classical piano music (chopin, handel...)

Classical guitar music

Classic Rock

I could feel the spiteful laugh of the world tingling in my ears. I had just fallen in love with a band I used to hate with a passion. :-o

I got the album RIOT! and from the first notes onwards I knew this was a new cornerstone in my musical evolution.

I got the earlier album as well and watched some youtube videos and such, and I had to admit: I had seriously underestimated them! Their catalogue included compositions so ingenious that it surpassed many of my favourite bands by far!

I knew I was going to get crap from my friends for liking this band, but I couldn't have cared less. .:willy_nilly:

*inhales*

Okay, lets take a look at some facts about myself, before I feel the urge to praise the band again.:shifty:

Name: Pekka

Hobbies: Classical/Electric guitar, piano

Right now, I'm pondering over whether I should post my playing in youtube or not. I feel like it could do wonders for me (I'd actually sit down and learn complete songs!) Back me out here!

Okay, I think maybe two guys/girls will actually continue reading after the first paragraph, but I enjoy writing just for the sake of it, so bear with me, pf.com server! I haven't really taken look at the discussions here, so it remains to be seen how actively I will take part in those. But again, hi, and please don't look at me like that! I'm pretty normal once the initial shock settles.

Hey Pekka! Welcome to the boards, and thanks for sharing your story. The same thing's happened with me and several bands over the years.

If you do decide to post some videos of your guitar playing on YouTube, definitely post them here. We'd love to see them. :)

And, yes, I've read it all! I liked the way you wrote about how you discovered Pmore. Great story. Haha. You can be a writer. Really. :D

Oh God, you're soldier too. My brother is but not in the Finnish army of course. That would be impossible! :P

So welcome here, hope you will enjoy your staying on here!

Anyways, I'm Betty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
HOLY EFFIN' MOLEY :willy_nilly:

I feel like I'm looking into a mirror here. Only thing I need now is a 7-stringer. :) Welcome!

Remember this quote?

You posted that in my welcome thread. I had to bump this, because it's just so uncanny.

Now, it gets even scarier.

Okay, so no, I didn't hate Paramore with a passion in the beginning, I in fact had never heard of them until a few months ago and never had heard them, so neither hated nor liked.

But guess what song got me into the band?

Yep, it was Decode as well.

I used to hate ALL pop music basically, pop punk, pop rock whatever. All I listened to was metal, jazz fusion and classical music. Even today I'm still known as the progressive metal nerd among my friends (to top it off, every heard of Progarchives.com? I am a "Progressive Metal Team" collaborator there, meaning I'm responsible for writing biographies for prog metal bands that get added to the database and other duties, so I truly was/kinda still am the prog metal nerd).

But hell, time was a changin'.

At the progarchives.com forum board and various other boards, I was getting sick of the elitism. I was also getting sick of the jazz fusion snobbery, the classical snobbery, the heavy metal elitist bullshit and the "we are hardcore punk so we hate emo" snobbery/elitism.

I had been listening to nothing but complex, often virtuosic music. Avant Garde music and progressive metal was just constantly replaying in my memory.

I was in desperate need of a contrast to this music.

A friend of mentioned Paramore one day. I finally decided to bite the bullet and gave them a listen, telling myself I would hate them. I listened to a song on youtube thinking " THIS IS GONNA SUCK HARD", but no, I sat through the whole song.

Didn't listen to them again for a few weeks.

Listened to Decode again and was HOOKED, UTTERLY HOOKED. I was listening to Decode 10 times a day after for a while.

I decided to get their other two albums.

I am now super hooked to Paramore and prefer to listen to them over most metal bands any day of the week. I had to learn their stuff on guitar, it was that amazing.

I too am deeply ashamed of my elitist attitude I had in the past and I've never been happier about my music taste now that I'm so much more open minded.

Yes, I remain a metalhead at heart. Metal is what I love to listen to most, what I love playing most on guitar, what I understand most, but I learnt you can be a metalhead and be open minded and not be one of those "ANTI EMO" "ANTI POP" retards.

I swear to hell we were bros separated at birth, it's uncanny.

Now just get a 7 string guitar and we truly are the same person, just from different countries:rotfl: