Zoos.

the1

I don't think i've ever been to a zoo.

i'm okay with zoos if the animals in them have like, grown up in captivity, but don't really like the idea of capturing wild ones and sticking them in an enclosure.

i don't know, they're educational, they're fun (i assume) and you get to see lots of cute animals, i'm down. i think i'm going to get the boyf to take me to one, actually, i feel this is an important step of life that i have missed out; the zoo visit.

I don't think i've ever been to a zoo.

i'm okay with zoos if the animals in them have like, grown up in captivity, but don't really like the idea of capturing wild ones and sticking them in an enclosure.

i don't know, they're educational, they're fun (i assume) and you get to see lots of cute animals, i'm down. i feel this is an important step of life that i have missed out; the zoo visit.

this.

I'm an animal lover and have been to many zoos over the years, both as a kid myself and with my little cousins. As much as I love to see the animals that ordinarily I would never spot, I do find it a little unfair to have them locked up.

I agree with Jorgi's point though, fair enough if they have been brought up in captivity.

They get fed well and have a longer life expectancy in zoos, which is nice I suppose... I think I'd rather visit a safari park or whatever and see them in their natural habitats. :P

Sorry, I don't really understand that, if they're 'lucky' enough to be born into captivity that means you're less sympathetic? :lol: Even though they'll never have the chance of leading a 'full' life? :P

Because they don't know any different. So yeah, to be honest, i am less sympathetic towards like, a polar bear brought up in london zoo (assuming they have polar bears) living in lukewarm water and constant rain, in comparison to one that was captured and taken away from the snow and yummo seals they'd become accustomed to.

this.

i have been to zoos like million times but actually i have been to only two different zoos. but i have been to both zoos like million times! anyways, zoos were a lot of fun when i was a kid but nowadays i never go to one.

anyways, i got traumatized when i was in a zoo. i was like 7 years old and i really liked rabbits (it is/was actually my fave animal haha). i was in an estonian zoo and there was this place where was this box full of bunnies and you were allowed to go there to fondle them. so i went there and there was already lots of people and there was this about 5-year-old-boy who suddenly just grabbed the bunny's ears and carried it like that and shouted something like "mom look at this!" and i couldn't say anything to that cause i didn't know any estonian and i just waved like "nooooooooo" haha. that was terrible.

Yes I do approve of zoos.

Zoos serve several functions that I can think of off the top of my head.

One is to serve as an educational device.

Another is to serve as an entertainment device.

Another is to help in the preservation of species of animals that would otherwise be extinct/become on the verge of extinction if they were left to only live in the wild.

Admittedly, the entertainment side of it does bring it's negatives (idiots interacting with the animals in negative ways etc), but hell, if it puts smiles on people's faces, it's not all bad.

So yes, while Zoos, like pretty much everything, have their negatives, I feel the positives greatly outweigh any negatives there may be.

it depends on the zoo and the animals really

like some people have mentioned, animals bred in captivity

if they were bread in captivity they don't know how to fend for themselves in the wild so releasing them would be a death wish

they're better off at the zoo

rescued animals obviously weren't doing that great in the wild, they're better off being watched and taken care of at a zoo

and most zoos take very good care of their animals and like harry mentioned they're great for conservation and education

i don't have any problems with legitimate zoos

however, james' video helps with my next point

there are people out there who decide they should open their own zoo

most of them are referred to as "roadside zoos"

i googled the zoo those tigers are from and this was the third result

http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=431

"Killman Zoo of Horrors

A recent trip to a local roadside zoo has forever embedded a haunted memory of torment and depression as captive animals languish in substandard conditions."

basically, dipshits who think they're capable of taking care of wild animals in tiny cages on their own

these are what i have a problem with

it depends on the zoo and the animals really

like some people have mentioned, animals bred in captivity

if they were bread in captivity they don't know how to fend for themselves in the wild so releasing them would be a death wish

they're better off at the zoo

rescued animals obviously weren't doing that great in the wild, they're better off being watched and taken care of at a zoo

and most zoos take very good care of their animals and like harry mentioned they're great for conservation and education

i don't have any problems with legitimate zoos

however, james' video helps with my next point

there are people out there who decide they should open their own zoo

most of them are referred to as "roadside zoos"

i googled the zoo those tigers are from and this was the third result

http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=431

"Killman Zoo of Horrors

A recent trip to a local roadside zoo has forever embedded a haunted memory of torment and depression as captive animals languish in substandard conditions."

basically, dipshits who think they're capable of taking care of wild animals in tiny cages on their own

these are what i have a problem with

Lol bread.

Why people would visit these roadside zoos and keep them going is beyond me.

...my phone tries to correct me sometimes :P

people have been trying to shut them down for years

on that zoos official webpage right in the top left hand corner it says

"NOTICE TO GUESTS

Killman Zoo is private property. It is not a forum for protest. The proprietors reserve the right to refuse entry to any person and, in particular, to any member or affiliate of WSPA, PETA, Zoo Check and other similar animal rights organizations. Members or affiliates of those organizations found on these premises without express written permission from The Killman Zoo will be charged with trespassing pursuant to the Trespass to Property Act of Ontario."

they know people think what they're doing is disgusting and they know people want them to shut down

that's why they have to go all "omg you're trespassing"

...my phone tries to correct me sometimes :P

people have been trying to shut them down for years

on that zoos official webpage right in the top left hand corner it says

"NOTICE TO GUESTS

Killman Zoo is private property. It is not a forum for protest. The proprietors reserve the right to refuse entry to any person and, in particular, to any member or affiliate of WSPA, PETA, Zoo Check and other similar animal rights organizations. Members or affiliates of those organizations found on these premises without express written permission from The Killman Zoo will be charged with trespassing pursuant to the Trespass to Property Act of Ontario."

they know people think what they're doing is disgusting and they know people want them to shut down

that's why they have to go all "omg you're trespassing"

Surely there should be laws against those kind of institutions? I mean, it's not like Drug Dens could stop raids for tresspassing...

Surely there should be laws against those kind of institutions? I mean, it's not like Drug Dens could stop raids for tresspassing...

well right now i don't think the ownership of exotic animals is regulated in every province/state

people are 'working on it' but it's not really that easy to just say "okay, you're not allowed to have your zoo anymore"

there's lots out there and then you have to figure out what to do with all those animals

plus i'm sure there's some loopholes with changing laws about it all