Paramorefans online band.

Jordypord

Well if you're using Guitar Rig, Jordan, I assume that means you can track DI tracks anyway. Send me the DI files and I can use my audio engineering knowledge to sculpt the tones for you (of course in conjunction with the bass tracks, since a ot of the guitars tone comes from the bass guitar as well, as much as people don't think of it that way)

And anyway, I never claimed to be able to make "studio quality" stuff, I'm not even close to that level, but at the very least having someone onboard like me who has been studying a bit of audio engineering can help get some results that are more sonically pleasing

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you're using Guitar Rig, Jordan, I assume that means you can track DI tracks anyway. Send me the DI files and I can use my audio engineering knowledge to sculpt the tones for you (of course in conjunction with the bass tracks, since a ot of the guitars tone comes from the bass guitar as well, as much as people don't think of it that way)

And anyway, I never claimed to be able to make "studio quality" stuff, I'm not even close to that level, but at the very least having someone onboard like me who has been studying a bit of audio engineering can help get some results that are more sonically pleasing

I know I know i was just taking the piss a bit ;-) Yeah ive also got that toneport thing, with gear box software, which is awfull.

Anyways if get a list of whos doing what we can suss out what were going to try first.

Looks like I won't be using the computer much next month, so unless someone tells me what to play really soon, I'll be out of the picture for a while.

The rest of you who advertised your playing abilities, you should now tell us if you are able to record anything. Especially you, Jedd, since you seem to be the only drummer around here.

I have my ubercool classical rendition of Misguided Ghosts at the ready if anyone wants to sing it. :shifty: Start throwing possible songs around gaiz!

If there are no drummers that can record anything decent (this means having OH mics, room mics and actual drum mics and a nice room to record in that doesn't have poor acoustic properties) I'm willing to program drums, because that will sound far better than the usual sticking a video camera in the room as the drums, which usually just sounds like complete noise with the drums being almost indistinguishable from each other (that is, after I've processed the drums when it finally gets to the mixing stage).

People don't have a recording program?

Here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

Download, free to use for a month, full functionality. I know Pekka already uses it. I don't use it because personally I own a 849 USD software package which pretty much does it all, but I have used Reaper before and it's seriously pretty good for a program that costs 60 USD to buy.

Especially you Jordan, record your guitar tracks using this.

You have a Line Toneport, which means you're in business:) I'm not sure how well you know your way around it, but read the manual if you don't know.

Basically, you should be able to find this audio properties thing in Control Panel called Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices.

In "ASIO Settings" set the default buffer size to 128, set the bit depth to 24 and the bit at the bottom which says "USB Audio Streaming" make sure the slider is set all the way to left.

I apologize if you already knew all that:rotfl: In the "Inputs and Recordings" you have a choice of record sends "1-2" and "3-4".

When you open up your DAW software (be it Reaper, or whatever else you use) you need to make sure you are recording your guitar tracks using the "3-4" option. You may have to read the manual for your DAW software of how to do that.

Again I apologize if you know this already, but if you didn't, I guess you learnt something new, heh.

If this all worked out, this means you were able to record DI tracks which you can send to me, and then I will able to process them.

Being Paramore songs, you only need to double track rhythm parts.

If you do any lead parts, you only need to send me one guitar track, unless you for some reason felt the need to harmonize leads or double up leads, send me two, but yeah, I'm all okay with one track, but you absolutely MUST do at least 2 rhythm tracks (applies to anyone sending me guitar tracks).

An important thing for everyone to be aware of, if you are sending me tracks, make sure the file format is in 44.1KHz sampling rate and 24 bit depth wave file, NO EXCEPTIONS.

16 bits just fucking sucks for modern digital recording (there is a bunch of technical reasons why, which no one here will care about, but I'm just pointing that out anyway), and anything higher than 44.1KHz quickly eats away at computer CPU power.

Again, this will all be configurable via your DAW software.

And no Pekka, none of your clipping, 192KHz, 32 bit depth files you cunt:rotfl::mrgreen: (never mind people, I'm pretty sure only me and Pekka understand that joke:p)

Again, any peepz doing bass guitar? Pekka, you own a bass, correct?

Well, seeing as you're going on vacation, or whatever the fuck it is you're doing, working, I don't know, whatever Paramore songs you can currently play well, send me as many DI tracks as possible before you go AWOL on our asses, be it electric guitar or bass guitar tracks.

Even if we don't end up using all the guitar tracks, at the very least it will give us more options in the future if we decide to do stuff while you're aware and I'm pretty sure we'll all be super appreciative of your efforts.

If not, all cool, I can understand, but yeah, up to you man.

This, IMHO is the best file hosting solution around : https://www.dropbox.com/

Use it, love it, because I use it and love it.

Go on MSN for once too ya cunt, or at least PM me and I will do my best to find as many tempos for songs as possible so you can play to a click track.

Same for Jordan, I can get you tempos for the songs so you can track to a click which will make editing a bazillion times easier (and will just sound better) than playing them in free time.

So far it's pretty much Pekka, Jordan and I that can do guitar tracks.

Since it's pretty obvious I have to take care of audio engineering duties I'd like to be mainly concentrating on that, but if I have to I'm down for recording guitar tracks (again, as you all heard on the last page was an example of my playing)

Again, as for vocals, it's gonna be tricky because none of the vocalists here have ideal environments for recording vocals, but I will sincerely try my best to work with what they have to offer because at this point it doesn't look like there is any other choice

Aye drums would be the trickiest one i would think, unless he has an electric kit? I presume you could plug that in to a computer somehow :shifty:

Ive already two recording programmes, ableton live and cubais (or however its spelt again) but i havent really got my head round the latter, but i do remember that the specs you mentioned for the wav files are actualy the default settings for both the programmes, so thats fine.

Anyhoo, any sugestions on what we do first?

Anyhoo, any sugestions on what we do first?

I'd say Brick by boring brick. :shifty: *I thought I could break the ice and name a song,haha. It's just a suggestion anyway.*

Or My heart! The version from "The final Riot!". Or even the studio version,but we'd need someone to do the screaming part. :shifty:

Anyway,as I said,I'm okay with any song,haha. :D

I used to have a bass when I was like 10 years old, but it's not here anymore, so someone else has to do the bass tracks (unless I use Guitar Rig to make my guitar a bass :lol:). By they way, Reaper says I've been evaluating it for about 400 days now and it's still functional, so yeah...it won't stop working after that one month.

We Are Broken, My Heart and BBBB suggested. I'd say we'll start with those since most of us don't have opinions anyway.

Seeing how it's from BNE, BBBB is really dense arrangement-wise, but it leaves plenty of stuff for different people to play and I think it would be the most fun to record out of those three. My Heart would be interesting if one of our screamers will step up to the plate and do Josh's parts (self-proclaimed decent screamers, start posting audio!), but the Final Riot -version is easily done as well. There is just the fact it wouldn't need anything besides one dude playing the acoustic guitar and someone singing. If you guys want to do We Are Broken, I can play the piano parts to it, but that song is kinda stripped down as well (unless we do the Final Riot -version :-o) so that might not be the ideal choice.

Harry, don't forget that I can go Donal Trump on your ass if you're going to be a faggot about the quality of the recordings. >:o

Looks like bass guitar duties are being assigned to me then. Unfortunately, at this current phase my bass playing isn't quite up to the standard of my guitar player (not that I'm a stunning guitar player anyway), so time to get practicing and learning songs for me:shifty:

We are not doing ghetto bass. What happens when you do guitar tracks and pitch shift them down an octave is that the actual sound of the pick hitting the strings goes down an octave too, so you lose that attack and articulation you get when playing a real bass guitar.

I'm quite reluctant to do songs off BNE to be honest.

Sitting in the chair of the producer as such, it's pretty much a severe uphill battle to get stuff sounding good for that.

I am however, MUCH more comfortable working with anything off AWKIF and Riot!.

In fact, I am TOTALLY down with doing My Heart. (Not to say we can't do stuff off BNE, but people really need to be aware of the complexities and potential for severe headaches and frustration there will be, not just for me either)

And who says we need a screamer?:mrgreen: I'd love to hear a version with death growls instead of screams, but of course we can do both a screamed and growled version, there is no issues with that

I'll admit, half the time I hear My Heart, I can never decide if the screaming is cheesy or not.

I've been wanting to hear a death growled version for ages and you'd be my fucking hero if you did the vocals for that Pekka, seriously.

It would also be good because it would be my first time mixing extreme vocals, so it would be a cool challenge for me.

As for clean vocals, Diana has a pretty decent voice.

Would be good if we get Kayla to sing, cos apparently she took singing lessons, but the damn bastard is shy:(

Also:

"By they way, Reaper says I've been evaluating it for about 400 days now and it's still functional, so yeah...it won't stop working after that one month."

:rotfl: I shouldn't have found that so funny, but I did

Also, you're going to be leaving me wondering if the spelling of "Donal" was intentional or not.

Sometimes you really fuck with my head Pekka:mrgreen:

Given your love of internet language, I'm guessing it was intentional