Health Care reform Bill... you opinions?

roxchick93

(probably gunna get heated. or no one will care. i just find this worthy of discussing.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1290

the healthcare bill in America is passed. And to be honest this pisses me off. the provisions of the bill are what really get me...

"-The bill, which the Congressional Budget Office says will cost $940-billion over ten years, is expected to cover an estimated 32 million Americans who are presently uninsured. Among its major provisions:

-An "individual mandate" will require all Americans to purchase some form of health care coverage, with government subsidies provided to those needing financial assistance to do so. People who don't obtain coverage of some sort will be subject to federal fines, which would begin to take effect in 2015."

i just dont find it right that our goverment is FORCING people to get healthcare. What if some one doesnt want to spend the money on healthcare? shouldnt it be OUR choice as Americans??

there are so many other reason why i am against this bill and you know what i could get past those. but forcing people to pay for it is absolutely ridiculous. Either you buy it or the goverments spends even more money (like trillion of dollars in debt isnt enough) buying it for you or they fine you, which is absolutely ridiculous.

and

"-All employers with 50 or more employees will be legally obliged to offer coverage - or else they will be assessed a stiff fine of $2,000 per uninsured employee."

and at first yea that makes sense. employes should get coverage, but what if the company isnt doing well financially (cause our economy is down the drain) and cant afford coverage. by fining them wouldnt that just make it worse? that would just force more people out of business. And once again its taking away our rights as Americans. let us chose!

im really tempted to go fly to washington and ask them what the hell they are thinking.

ughh.

okay. im sorry but i really feel the need to present this and get it off my chest.

go debate (or not)

im openminded. truly i am. as long as you have a reason to back up what your saying.

Personally, I think there are much worse things to use money on in the american budget than healthcare(forget the nuclear warheads, just smoke pot and play nintendo folks!).

The only people with the luxury of choice(insurance vs. no insurance) are those who could afford an insurance in the past, but now the goverment is making an effort to bring healthcare available to EVERYONE, regardless of their wealth, and to me, that actually sounds pretty humane. And I'm sure as hell that the only people complaining are those who CAN afford an insurance. The goverment is basically saying: "dammit, you WILL get this insurance or WE will get it for you!", and who the hell is still stubborn enough to stomp the ground and blow the horn about one's rights as if USA is the only free land left in the world?

I'm paying for infrastructure, healthcare and public transport among other things with my taxes every month, as is everyone else in Finland, and I have NEVER heard ANYONE complaining about the goverment forcing us to pay for public transport even when I never use it. It's part of my duty as a member of the society, that's how it works and I've accepted that.

Why, oh why would anyone NOT want healthcare? Is the problem coming from the fact that it has to purchased separately? "YES, I don't need to get it if I don't want to!" It looks like it... How about if the military would be transformed into the DDSFYAPAY (Domestic Defense System For You And People Around You) and people would be forced to buy it separately (No, war is bad, I don't want to!) as opposed to the current system where it is funded by taxes? Isn't it still the same thing?

I think you're reading too much into principles and fines etc. Just get the healthcare insurance if you can, or get the goverment pay you for it like any reasonable person would. :)

I pay £160 (equivalent of $241) a month tax/national insurance. That's so I have free healthcare and a pension waiting for me when I retire. It doesn't bother me because "that's just the way it is".

I don't understand how people can complain about the free healthcare in America. It's a good thing, and almost every other major country in the world already has it.

Having healthcare should be the number one thing you want as person. I mean you pay for insurance on your car, and your home so having healthcare for YOU is a no brainer.

I'm reading up on it right now and from what I can see there are plenty of pros and cons. The biggest con I can see that could possibly make Americans really pissed is the stuff like Medicaid and whatnot. People who can "afford" healthcare end up paying for the people that cant. And, I really don't know how to say this without sounding exceptionally stuck up, but a lot of people on Medicaid are people who are simply too lazy to find jobs. So people that are working and sacrificing their time and efforts are paying for people to have healthcare even though they aren't bothering to help themselves. Most people that pay for medicaid don't receive any benefits of it.

Guest JadeIsRad
...dude... are you seriously saying you don't want healthcare ? Like, seriously.

don't go crying to obama when you get hit by a bus.

hahahaha this.

I think its kinda funny how most of the people making comments on this aren't going to be affected by it.

I just talked to my dad and apparently because this passed he has to find new health care coverage because the kind he has now for our family isn't within the parameters of the bill. Apparently we're only allowed half the coverage we have now.

Jade, its not your fault in any way.

I just think it sucks that my dad, who has been working for the same company for the past 25 years and has had the same coverage from that company, now has to change his coverage because of one bill that isn't going to help us in any way.

Sure, it may help other people, but I think its unfair to a lot of others.

Guest JadeIsRad
That's the nature of change though, it can't always be good for everyone. I believe it'll be beneficial to the country as a whole in the future, though.

All i really have to say is:

N TO THE H TO THE MOTHERFUCKING S

wait what.

It took me longer than it should have to figure out what you were spelling.

I was like "...wut. N...H...S? Whaaa- OH NHS."

i don't understand how providing healthcare can in any way be 'unfair' but maybe that's just me

I dunno.

I think its kinda unfair that my family wont get the same healthcare coverage we had because of this bill. Like, my family probably wont be able to afford half the things we need now because our coverage wont work for certain things... like my brothers depression medication.

I dont see why we're being slighted for this.

that's the joy of universal healthcare to begin with, no worries about coverage ;-)

well there is to an extent, canada's system for example is 70/30 but most things not covered by the government end up covered by employers

there's no mess with insurance companies like there is in the states

It will benefit far more people than it will hinder.

Obviously people will pay taxes to receive their "free healthcare", and maybe I'm wrong but surely it will be cheaper for you now that you can get health care from the government?

see how can this be a problem to some ppl,i havent understood it exactly does this mean that besides usally haltcare bill you pay you have to pay another one which goes to this united fond for all that cant afford it?

Over here almost everyone have healthcare employed trough their employees which pay montly to the goverment and unimployed tro this national healthcare and social services which is payed by goverment. i think their package is basic healt care but still all you have to do is to register to the database and you r provided with health care.

Still sthere is some issues with employees paying couse sometimes they "accidently" forget to pay the bill so you end up employed but without health care and praying to God that you wont get hit by the buss or something.... ( That is me currently)

The system can be abused, no doubt. What I find funny, however, is

I think its kinda funny how most of the people making comments on this aren't going to be affected by it.

and

The biggest con I can see that could possibly make Americans really pissed is the stuff like Medicaid and whatnot. People who can "afford" healthcare end up paying for the people that cant.

in combination with

And I'm sure as hell that the only people complaining are those who CAN afford an insurance.

Welcome to the world outside the US where this system (in slightly altered forms) has been a part of life for a long time now (just like Kayla said). Who would pay for the healthcare of those who can't afford it if not those who can? No one, absolutely no one. Money doesn't come out of nowhere. I can't believe that the USA has been on a socioeconomical stone age for this long, but this is a step in the right direction, and major props to Obama or whoever it is that made this happen. I repeat: the system can be abused. I know that part of my tax money is going to students who will drink it away every Friday night, but it is also going to thousands of other students who would be without food and shelter if it wasn't for the goverment (and tax payers, in the end) funding their studying.

I honestly think that this sounds like a step backwards for you guys just because it is a major change in fundamentals. The american crowd is chanting "CHANGE" in horror of recent events while Obama is banging his head on a desk in the White House. You're going to have to get used to taking care of the not-so-lucky, you're now finally becoming a "welfare state".

i don't understand how providing healthcare can in any way be 'unfair' but maybe that's just me

i'm still completely baffled that america didn't have some sort of universal healthcare to begin with

like, completely baffled

i can't wrap my head around it at all

and i agree with what andrew and pekka have already said

too lazy to rephrase it for myself haha

This. and I also agree with what Andrew & Pekka said. I mean, this is the way our [in Ireland] healthcare has been since as far as I can remember.

Obviously there will be people that will abuse the system, as stated before. However, there are ALOT of people, that are genuinely in need of this free healthcare. My family for example, have benefitted from it a whole lot in the past over here.

And, y'know, the world is currently in the midst of an economic crisis, with a whole lotta people that, through no fault of their own, can't find work. So I'm sure those folks will be happy to have this bill brought in.

America are finally catching up with pretty much the rest of the world. So props to Obama for finally making it happen ;-)