Bad/odd Review

Locomotion

this was posted by punknews

http://www.punknews.org/reviews.php?op=albumreview&id=4870

Hayley Williams has got to be living the dream. Sixteen years old, and at the helm of a rising band with a record deal. How many 16-year-olds can you name who’ve got those credentials?

As far as I’m concerned, that’s pretty damn impressive. Fueled by Ramen’s Paramore are definitely a band on the rise, thanks in large part to Williams, who may be only 16, but has the range of a seasoned music business veteran. Fronting this four-piece band, the young singer belts out at quite the impressive range, one that drives the songs, and the album as a whole just the same. The music backing her may not be the most inventive, but they’re already a few steps ahead on no basis other than those vocals. “All We Know” opens the album in fine fashion, with some pretty basic riffing, and Haley’s vocals, though relatively quiet, immediately impressing, and she will continue to do so for the rest of the album. But the more the album goes on, the more it unravels.

The problem here is the structure of the songs, they’re just too flat, too linear. A voice like that needs some real dynamic musicianship behind it, and it’s sorely lacking on All We Know Is Falling. Even by the standards of similar pop-rock bands, the guitar seems a bit uninspired, the drumming a bit lazy, and the bass is barely existent, if existent at all. It gets to be a problem, when the band's lack of ability and diversity drag Williams down. Take “Never Let This Go,” a relatively slow song, where the vocals sound like a complete afterthought, just because there’s nothing driving them underneath. There’s only so much that one person can do themselves in a band; there’s got to be some chemistry, and I’m having a real hard time finding any. And as the album goes on, any momentum from the beginning really seems to be fleeting. “My Heart” is an extremely poor note to end things on, as what could have been a beautiful track was really disrupted by some awful, awful background growling at the end of the song. Williams just never gets that real chance to let her vocals expand, without being pulled back down by her bandmates.

At only 16 years old, Hayley Williams has an absolutely incredible voice.

At only 16 years old, Hayley Williams does not have the band to match, and it’s that poor song construction that leads to this record's early demise.

well.

i agree with some of what he's saying.

never let this go needs more of an intro.

or something to start the song off better.

i understand where his thoughts are coming from.

but, um guessing the band memebers wrote the music.

and they are young and not the best at. thye'll just start to get better.

I also sort of agree with Golly. But then again..what that guy is talking about..like my heart and stuff...isnt really bothering me,,so I only agree for maybe 10% haha. And Matt,,Well Im praying along with ya. Im not saying I dont like..band-singers going solo. Cause Gwen Stefani is awesome. But theres enough solo people outthere. I dont think I can think of a good band who get the attention that they deserve. I want Paramore to be that. As a band. Not just Hayley.

Interesting. Everyone has an opinion' date=' I guess. I don't happen to agree with this one.[/quote']

As I'm sure many of us will, myself included

And myself included.

hmm. i agree with some of it. alot of the songs are basic & sound the same. but i love them anyways! i don't really care. & i disagree about my heart bc i think the screaming adds alottt to the end.

& as far as the going solo thing - doubt it. i used to think that was the case but with all these pop/punk bands getting so big now & moving away from the solo artists it's going to benefit them all soo much more in the long run to stay together.

Even though I haven't heard the album yet, it sounds like a pretty critical review. I've listened to the songs on myspace and purevolume and I think they're at least better-than-average pop songs. The band is very young, so they still have a long way to go.

But I understand the whole "vocals are much better than the other instruments". Paramore's songs could easily be mistaken for a Hayley Williams song.

Hopefully, I'll be getting the album shipped over in the next while, so I can fully judge.

Well, that's my two cents.

Even though I haven't heard the album yet' date=' it sounds like a pretty critical review. I've listened to the songs on myspace and purevolume and I think they're at least better-than-average pop songs. The band is very young, so they still have a long way to go.

But I understand the whole "vocals are much better than the other instruments". Paramore's songs could easily be mistaken for a Hayley Williams song.

Hopefully, I'll be getting the album shipped over in the next while, so I can fully judge.

Well, that's my two cents.[/quote']

you worded that perfectly

i was gunna reply to this thread but i couldnt really put it in the right words but what you said is exsactly what i was thinking too

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I guess that is the author's opinion on that album. Personally, I think the band is amazing and Paramore woudn't be Paramore without the amazing talents of each and every member. I mean, Zac is only 15 and is one of the most impressive drummers I have seen in a long time. Josh is not only an amazing guitar player but sings backup and screams. Hunter definitely adds the harmonic end of the songs which is one of the reasons the songs are so unique. Jeremy, as a bass player, is already unique enough. Not only is he a bass player (which are so hard to find), he adds ALL of the low end to the harmonies. Finally, Hayley (which apparently the author LOVED but who doesn't?) really does have an amazing voice and a large range. The whole band comes together to make an ultimate music making machine that we all love and call Paramore!

the person who wrote this is prolly like 80.

yeah. you have to consider the age of the band too. i mean, its their first album and theyre all soo young. i bet they take more risks instrumentally on the next album and improve a ton with the whole instruments backing vocals. and i really hope hayley doesnt go solo. i luv the whole band thing. im not too into solo acts.

• 2 years later...