AP Review of RIOT! - July Issue of AP

Well, Alt. Press gave that Amber Pacific album 4 1/2 stars. 4 1/2 stars. That pretty much flushes their credibility right down the toilet in my book.

No offense to anyone who really likes Amber Pacific, but imo, those dudes are as mediocre as you can get.

I posted the rest of what I thought in the LJ, but I really take offense at the way the whole review seems to be saying "well, they're so young, so they can't possibly make a GREAT album." And the line about Hayley's lyrics being docile and sophomoric is ridiculous. I've heard four songs off this record in various forms (Misery Business, Born For This, Hallelujah and Pessimist) and the words that come to my mind to describe the lyrics to those songs are honest, heartfelt, aggressive, raw, beautiful, uplifting...how anyone could listen to Misery Business and get DOCILE is beyond me.

I read this review and what I take away is someone in their late twenties at a "hip" music magazine determined not to let a bunch of "kids" who play great pop punk music and can't possibly understand life as well as someone who's "older" and "wiser" become the next big thing.

You're totally right. The people at AP think they know everything there is to know about music and that "young kids" aren't capable of doing great things. And yeah, the docile remark was seriously the dumbest shit ever. The lyrics are bold, brave, honest, and straightforward. Hayley definitely doesn't hold anything back, which is more than we could say for most bands, who skirt around the topic and use bullshit metaphors to say how they really feel.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahah I really don't think it's that bad of a review. he's not like, flat out dissing it.

you guys all just want them to say 'OMG 5+++++ STARS, PARAMORE IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD' because that's what you think. not that that's a bad thing, you just have to understand that not everyone thinks that.

obviously it's just one person's opinion so why get all worked up about it?

whatevaaaa :]

hahah I really don't think it's that bad of a review. he's not like, flat out dissing it.

you guys all just want them to say 'OMG 5+++++ STARS, PARAMORE IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD' because that's what you think. not that that's a bad thing, you just have to understand that not everyone thinks that.

obviously it's just one person's opinion so why get all worked up about it?

whatevaaaa :]

Agreed.

It sounds like a positive review to me. Nothing wrong with 3 stars, and it's only one review anyway. Although I don't know what AP is like... so maybe 3 stars is bad?

mine came in the mail today. i totally forgot i got a free subscription with my pre-sale warped tickets. i was so excited! the review isn't the best, but could be worse. anyway, this was also in it:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/aarocks20/Miscellaneous/misc318-1.jpg

i don't think that's been posted... sorry if it has.