AP Review of RIOT! - July Issue of AP

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New used album is pretty decent. The production on it is amazing... A LOT of time and money was spent on it with much attention to detail.

All they had to do was get bert to sleep with kelly osborne.

What??? Bert slept with WHO???

I agree though, the new Used album is pretty good.

I love AP interviews!! Weee! Can't wait!

Does anybody know how long the issue is going to be on stands?

Well, Alt. Press gave that Amber Pacific album 4 1/2 stars. 4 1/2 stars. That pretty much flushes their credibility right down the toilet in my book.

No offense to anyone who really likes Amber Pacific, but imo, those dudes are as mediocre as you can get.

I posted the rest of what I thought in the LJ, but I really take offense at the way the whole review seems to be saying "well, they're so young, so they can't possibly make a GREAT album." And the line about Hayley's lyrics being docile and sophomoric is ridiculous. I've heard four songs off this record in various forms (Misery Business, Born For This, Hallelujah and Pessimist) and the words that come to my mind to describe the lyrics to those songs are honest, heartfelt, aggressive, raw, beautiful, uplifting...how anyone could listen to Misery Business and get DOCILE is beyond me.

I read this review and what I take away is someone in their late twenties at a "hip" music magazine determined not to let a bunch of "kids" who play great pop punk music and can't possibly understand life as well as someone who's "older" and "wiser" become the next big thing.

I just laugh at most of AltPress's reviews. Most of them are crap anyways. The only one I've ever agreed with was Underoath's 'Define the Great Line' and we all know they only gave that one 5 stars because of credibility.

AP also gave Anberlin's 'Cities' a 3/5, and Paramore's RIOT was compared to it, so it must be good if they compare it to that album =] as well as the Acceptance comparison.

i'm waiting to see what the staff of AP.net gives it, because I generally agree with their thoughts more.

Well, Alt. Press gave that Amber Pacific album 4 1/2 stars. 4 1/2 stars. That pretty much flushes their credibility right down the toilet in my book.

No offense to anyone who really likes Amber Pacific, but imo, those dudes are as mediocre as you can get.

I posted the rest of what I thought in the LJ, but I really take offense at the way the whole review seems to be saying "well, they're so young, so they can't possibly make a GREAT album." And the line about Hayley's lyrics being docile and sophomoric is ridiculous. I've heard four songs off this record in various forms (Misery Business, Born For This, Hallelujah and Pessimist) and the words that come to my mind to describe the lyrics to those songs are honest, heartfelt, aggressive, raw, beautiful, uplifting...how anyone could listen to Misery Business and get DOCILE is beyond me.

I read this review and what I take away is someone in their late twenties at a "hip" music magazine determined not to let a bunch of "kids" who play great pop punk music and can't possibly understand life as well as someone who's "older" and "wiser" become the next big thing.

Thats true, i really like AP ,but they always seem to go for the indie, weirdo, im a genius nobody gets me albums, just bc its the cool thing to do.

btw.....Fences....swing?? whats that all about??¿

totally agree.

honestly, i dont know how they critique others peoples records.

most people keep their thoughts to themselves, and hayley, josh, jeremy, and zac have the guts to lay it on the chopping block, for millions to hear.

thats a HUGE accomplishment in itself.

to, me, they have no right to say anything about the record...and if Paramore's happy w/ the record, then we should be....even tho we havent heard it yet.

I just read the review. haha i was gonna wait till I got my own copy, but whatever.

The thing is, the words they wrote don't really correlate with a 3, imo. With the review they wrote, I would've expected 3.5-4 out of 5 (if i hadn't looked at the stars).

though, I don't think one review is something to get worked up about. It's one person's opinion.

I hate how they keep comparing them to the other FBR bands and the emo scene.

"the record feels like it is a follower and not a leader"

Like wtf review the damn CD not it's comparison to other bands!

but the picture is cute. wished it was a better review though. but hey it's AP...

I just read the review. haha i was gonna wait till I got my own copy, but whatever.

The thing is, the words they wrote don't really correlate with a 3, imo. With the review they wrote, I would've expected 3.5-4 out of 5 (if i hadn't looked at the stars).

though, I don't think one review is something to get worked up about. It's one person's opinion.

Yeah - it really does read like a 4 star review...I don't get why it gets only 3 stars.

I hate how they keep comparing them to the other FBR bands and the emo scene.

"the record feels like it is a follower and not a leader"

Like wtf review the damn CD not it's comparison to other bands!

but the picture is cute. wished it was a better review though. but hey it's AP...

That's a really good point - the review does spend way too much time comparing them to every other band on the label...it's almost like it's reviewing whether or not they're going to be the next big thing on FBR or not rather than actually reviewing the record for the music...and that's annoying.

When I heard it was three stars I assumed it was someone who I usually 100 000% always disagree with their reviews but now that I see it was Scott Heisel it makes me a little sad...

I really like that pictures though :)

i didn't even see it was him. that's a little disheartening. i could've sworn he was a fan of theirs

ap deff let me down here.

i dont think this will change anyones mind tho.

people are still going to buy the record.

and hopefully...people will listen and judge for themselves.

it did annoy me about the whole "not enough life expireance.

im sorry i didnt know you get life expireance from sitting at a desk and

writing crapp reviews of a band that has done more in their 18 years of life then you have in yours.

rant done.

I really don't like the way AP reviews albums. The ratings are very misleading and the reviews are predictable; it's a good album, but it has it's faults.

I really don't like reviews in general because it all comes down to opinion. Not everyone feels the same as some twenty-something dude at AltPress.

I honestly don't think 3 stars is that bad and since it's Scott Heisel I give him a little credit,he does have a point,they're young and have plenty of time to grow and I highly doubt this review will change anyone's opinions.When I'm going through looking at reviews for bands I might wanna check out the only thing that makes me over look something is their comparison albums and if they have a 1 star review.

I really don't like the way AP reviews albums. The ratings are very misleading and the reviews are predictable; it's a good album, but it has it's faults.

I really don't like reviews in general because it all comes down to opinion. Not everyone feels the same as some twenty-something dude at AltPress.

I agree. That's why I completely hate reviews, even if I agree with them. There are so many people out there that base everything the read, watch, or listen to on what the reviewers say. Maybe that's just because I always like the things reviewers hate, I don't know. ;-) But it's just someones, admittedly well-written, opinion. I hope no one takes it too seriously.

And Fences, swing?! I'm definitely excited now :D That could be veryy interesting.