NY Times Review of NY show

Komomaan

Hmmm...interesting review from the NY Times...super analytical and (attempting to be) high-minded, like always.

Pretty strong praise from the Times...interesting that they found Hayley's LJ post on faith too and referenced that.

I don't really buy their criticism that they're too upbeat during the songs that talk about lower moments - when Hayley's getting the crowd fired up during "Pressure", it's because that's what Paramore's about - overcoming that pain and emptiness and fighting for something better :)

Man I'm so bummed, I just moved to NC and I woulda been there if I hadn't. :[

Yeah that is interesting that they had looked up their livejournal. Once again, another review focusing entirely on Hayley. Sighhhh.

For now, though, Paramore gets by on good cheer, even during seemingly uncheerful songs.

WHAT? Hah, I get what they mean but I think they misinterpret her energy. What Brent said is basically what I think about the subject.

EDIT: And Paramore doesn't preach onstage, ever. Why do they constantly refer to their being Christian? It's certainly making people who don't know the band very well beleive they're like UO or something.

its the NY times, twice in one month they get an article on them, you dont really see that much for other bands.

i guess you have to take it from the perspective of the reporter, i mean, the Times isnt exactly AP magazine when it comes to music and the readers

one thing i hated was how they said that Faces in Disguise was too long, its such a great cover, and i loved it.

i dont know if many other people knew the song besides me and a couple of others i guess, but the crowd was open to it, and people were getting into it.

im not surprised that they went on to the livejournal, the times is always very specific and always look under every nook and crany for a good lead.

over all good article tho

You can hear her accent in this video...one of my favorite thing Hayley has ever done is at 3:46.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WZopqm67JFM

"I got rocks in my shoe...but don't call me a rock shoe!" LMAO.

"This looks pretty straight BITCHIN' if you ask me"...lmfaoooo

Ok go to 3:46 and you hear her accent so hardcore, which is the main reason for this post...haha. Sorry about the offtopicness.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of it that discussed faith could have been worded differently. As a reader, I didn't take it as saying they were preaching or whatever, but it's just worded oddly and if you just skim it, it sounds that way. I had to read it a few times to get that it was saying she doesn't preach. (though i do have to say, when listening to Miracle and Hallelujah, I sometimes wonder whether or not they have religious themes)

I didn't take it as high-minded either. Compared to other publications who have written about Paramore in such a negative "I'm better than you" fashion, I thought this was pretty good.

but i also tend to agree with a lot of the NYT's reviews, so I guess I'm a bit biased (however, I do agree with Brent and Lisa on the whole energy thing)