twilight series

i heart guese

I know I posted this in the other Twilight thread, but I'm guessin' this one is more orientated towards the books:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524/?gt1=43001

LOS ANGELES - Stephen King’s opinion may drive a stake through the heart of “Twilight” author Stephenie Meyer.

In an interview with USA Weekend, the bestselling author compared Meyer with J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series.

According to Stephen, “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

While Stephen may not be a fan of Stephenie’s writing, he understands the appeal of the series.

“People are attracted by the stories, by the pace, and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual.”

He further explains, “A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like, the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

If Stephanie Meyer couldnt write, then why the hell would they turn her books into films? and Why would millions of people world wide be fascinated by the twilight series? If your books make that kind of success, then i think that goes to show your a good writer.

Stephen King should just keep his mouth shut and get on with his own writing.

If Stephanie Meyer couldnt write, then why the hell would they turn her books into films? and Why would millions of people world wide be fascinated by the twilight series? If your books make that kind of success, then i think that goes to show your a good writer.

Stephen King should just keep his mouth shut and get on with his own writing.

actually it explains why in the article if you read it, stephen king is no mug

It's popular because of it's mass appeal to pre-pubescent girls.

Stephen King has taught creative writing at a university, has had written books in multiple genres and had them turned into films, such as The Running Man, The Shining, or The Mist.

http://www.stephenking.com/the_author.html

I think he's experienced enough to know when an author "can’t write worth a darn.".

I believe this is Stephanie Meyer's first productions of writing.

In that case,

its like Zinedine Zidane turning round to a successul young football player at 20 and saying "your shit!"

What gives him the right to say that? He may be experienced, and been successful, but it doesnt give him the right to put down a persons career when its only just begun.

Who's to say Stephanie Meyer wont go on to write in different genre's and be just as successful?

stephen king is allowed his opinion, which is fair enough. i dont agree with what he says at all, but still.

but all of the twilight saga books topped the bestseller chart so yanno, its pretty obvious she's not rubbish at writing.

i love her writing, i think its amazing and i seriously wish i could write like her.

I'm pretty sure the Jonas Brothers must've topped a sales chart at one stage, but that doesn't mean they're any good at what they do.

Just like the Jonas Brothers, Twilight was well marketed with ad campaigns, which is usually what causes anything to top sales charts. Whether music, books, DVDs, games etc. It's more about image in the public's eye than it is about the quality of the medium.

There's not as much correlation between sales charts and the quality of work as the people that stand to profit would have you believe.

Being as renowned as he is in literature, and having achieved as much as he has in that field and even teaching it at a university level, I believe his opinions on other works in the same field to be accurate enough.

well thats all fine and dandy for you

did i ever say she's the greatest writer ever? no

i don't think anyone would

but just because stephen king and some random guy who likes to spread negativity everywhere for whatever reason say she's rubbish, doesn't mean people still aren't going to read it and enjoy it

most people read for entertainment

its entertaining

thats all i give a fuck about

I just finished 'Eclipse'. :hyper:

Honestly, my favourite book of the saga for now. The end with this fight, the thing with Victoria, it was really amazing. Temporary, I even had some tears in my eyes when Riley and Seth were fighting and it seemed like Seth has been hurt very badly.

At the end, I was just a bit confused and needed a few lines to check that it was told in Jacobs perspective. But it was just amazing.

well thats all fine and dandy for you

did i ever say she's the greatest writer ever? no

i don't think anyone would

but just because stephen king and some random guy who likes to spread negativity everywhere for whatever reason say she's rubbish, doesn't mean people still aren't going to read it and enjoy it

most people read for entertainment

its entertaining

thats all i give a fuck about

you just dont get it do you

oh, i get it very well

this thread was made for fans of twilight

as a fan of twilight, i post here

i don't think i'm the one confused on the matter

Actually, the thread was asking if anyone's read an article on the release date of one of the books.

Says nowhere that the thread is soley for fans.

Not even a "Does anyone else like it?".