MTV VMA 2008

I agree that politics should be kept to minimum at an entertainment award ceremony. But, in the UK, political satire is one of our most popular types of comedy at the moment and has been for some time. It's nothing new.

He might not live there, but when America sneezes the rest of the world catches the cold. The man who wins this upcoming election has the ability to influence every country in the world. Mistakes made in America have world wide repercussions, particularly in the UK following the credit crunch where after our economy was, basically, shit hot for the past 15-17 years, it's now in a severe slowdown. And it would be no different if he was Republican either, you would still get the same jokes but with more of a dig towards liberalism/democrats. You can correct me here, but since the Bush administration it seems to be "the cool thing" to hate on the Grand Old Party.

i hate bush. they can bash him all they want. but with the upcoming election and considering i am a republican it was fairly annoying to START off the show with that. then to go on about how the jobros wear rings or watever. they werent funny they were just stupid.

an award show is not the place too bash poilticians. the obama thing was okay cuz its like 'oh alright hes a democrat im fine with that'. but then bashing Paulin was realli unessecary. thats wat pissed me off about the whole thing.

i hate bush. they can bash him all they want. but with the upcoming election and considering i am a republican it was fairly annoying to START off the show with that. then to go on about how the jobros wear rings or watever. they werent funny they were just stupid.

an award show is not the place too bash poilticians. the obama thing was okay cuz its like 'oh alright hes a democrat im fine with that'. but then bashing Paulin was realli unessecary. thats wat pissed me off about the whole thing.

So really your argument is "bash who you want as long as I don't like them"? :P

Haha, I kid. I get where you're coming from. :)

So really your argument is "bash who you want as long as I don't like them"? :P

Haha, I kid. I get where you're coming from. :)

wait wat???

agh im confused.

no well realli. who does like bush? i dont take bush jokes seriously and i dont think any one ever will. that guy is weird and just about the whole country could agree with that.

but he's not running in the next election so i thought it stupid to bring up current politics during a award show.

watever i hardly make sense i kno.

ok we're stearing wayy off topic.

so how about that paramore huh?

nah. pretty much any one who get political like that at a an award show will bug me. but he doesnt live here so i dont see wat the point in that was. then to bash Paulin/the whole republican party was unessecary too.

No, I completely agree with you, he's not an American citizen, he can't vote, so he should shut up and keep his opinion to himself, not try and influence others (not that he did).

And I'm Republican too.

I think Brand went a bit over-board, personally. He should change his act for America, but keep himself the way he is for Britain. I don't think people will tolerate him here :( He IS really huge in the UK, though. I used to watch him all the time whilst I lived there. :D

ah well.

• Like 1

No, I completely agree with you, he's not an American citizen, he can't vote, so he should shut up and keep his opinion to himself, not try and influence others (not that he did).

And I'm Republican too.

I still don't buy into this "You don't come from here so you can't have an opinion" theory. Granted yes, he can't vote, I can't argue with that. But, as I previously stated, America has a HUGE influence on the rest of the world. Things which happen in America can affect other counties greatly. See the credit crunch. Again, like I had said.

The typical MTV demograph can't vote anyway so a) there wasn't much point in him doing it but b)if he was as bad as you all think, I doubt the undecided voter is going to think "Hmm.. that crazy guy from England is telling me to vote Obama, cause he says it I must do it". I can accept it's fruitless on Brand's part but it's not a very solid argument that he should keep his opinion to himself cause he can't vote.

But, as I previously stated, America has a HUGE influence on the rest of the world. Things which happen in America can affect other counties greatly. See the credit crunch. Again, like I had said.

Oh, I definitely know that...having lived in England myself, and visiting this year.

EVERYONE does know that America has a huge influence...

But it causes conflict...a lot of people (as you can see on here) were pissed with him going into politics on MTV. It's understandable if he was on some politics show or something....

Oh, I definitely know that...having lived in England myself, and visiting this year.

EVERYONE does know that America has a huge influence...

But it causes conflict...a lot of people (as you can see on here) were pissed with him going into politics on MTV. It's understandable if he was on some politics show or something....

Now THAT I would love to see!:mrgreen:

^but if he's not from here its unessacary. the media is so biased some one from another country wont have a good view of american poilitcs as in some who lives here and know exactly wats going on.

him on a politics show would be a trainwreck. i'd like to see that..

ok back to paramore. haha we're soo offtopic

I think we all agree that we hate Russell Brand

Hyperbole.

Look through the pages and you'll see that Casey, Courtney and I, somewhat, defended Russell Brand because we quite like him. Well, I do anyway, I only assume that they do. So to say "we all agree" is wide of the mark as I'm sure it's not only us three that feel this way.

And to use the word "hate" is a little extreme. Saying that you don't appreciate his humour or you don't neccessarily agree with his views would be a much less animostic way of putting it.

And to quote your earlier post:

"Half of his jokes were about Bush, the other half about the jonas brothers"

Of course they would be, comedians tell jokes about popular subjects. When was the last time you saw a comedian recently make jokes about the Napoleonistic Wars or the Taipong Rebellion?

• Like 1

Hyperbole.

Look through the pages and you'll see that Casey, Courtney and I, somewhat, defended Russell Brand because we quite like him. Well, I do anyway, I only assume that they do. So to say "we all agree" is wide of the mark as I'm sure it's not only us three that feel this way.

And to use the word "hate" is a little extreme. Saying that you don't appreciate his humour or you don't neccessarily agree with his views would be a much less animostic way of putting it.

And to quote your earlier post:

"Half of his jokes were about Bush, the other half about the jonas brothers"

Of course they would be, comedians tell jokes about popular subjects. When was the last time you saw a comedian recently make jokes about the Napoleonistic Wars or the Taipong Rebellion?

All right, maybe not all, just the majority?

And it's good for a "comedian" (if you can even call him that) to make jokes about recent events, but his jokes we're almost entirely all about Bush and the jonas brothers, there's a lot more happening right now and that's all he can think of?

All right, maybe not all, just the majority?

And it's good for a "comedian" (if you can even call him that) to make jokes about recent events, but his jokes we're almost entirely all about Bush and the jonas brothers, there's a lot more happening right now and that's all he can think of?

I'll accept majority.

From your use of parenthesis and quation marks I get the feeling that you think you are more qualified a comedian than him. Now, obviously, you can't be "qualified" as a comedian per se. But if he is there presenting a fairly large award ceremony then some people must view him as a "comedian".

Like what? The credit crunch? That would go down a treat.

"Well, thanks to your banks being utter dicks my country's ruined. Ho ho ho, laugh it up dickwads!"

Granted that is neither particularly good or funny (well it might be, but I won't be the judge) but there is only really so much recent going ons that he can comment on. "Wars a bitch, eh?". "Fuck me oil costs a lot, why don't we go shoot the bastards and steal it?".

Granted he may have tended to use JB/Bush jokes more often than not, I wouldn't say that all his material was based solely on those two topics.