Too old to start public high school?

out_of_the_blue

Okay. So I just finished the 8th grade. Had a really not so great, extremely busy couple of years and got sidetracked. Homeschooling, by the way.

But what I'm wondering is. I'll be 17 in September. This would be too old to start, right? I'd look like an idiot. lol I'm planning on going through the two next grades very quickly and being ready to start next year. Unless, obviously, I could get away with starting this fall.

So; 17 and starting high school - too old? Brutal honesty wanted. lol

But not.. insulting honesty. Name calling is not constructive. :lol:

I was homeschooled from first grade until ninth grade. I loved it and often wish I could just do it again. You would like the school experience probably though. Making friends is not difficult (coming from someone who only had one friend before starting high school).

My sister knew a kid who was sixteen, almost seventeen and going into the ninth grade. He was a cool kid and a lot of people liked him. He decided to get his GED though and leave high school to start college, thinking he was too old.

It's really up to you. I don't believe age matters as long as you're slashing through that material.

the way the world is now, you're just better off getting your GED, then college, cause you dont want to be stuck in high school when you couldve been in college...or be in college when you could have a steady job and so forth....in some ways i guess its like losing a few years of your life. you can make friends in college too and have an educational experience at the same time.

my opinion.. your still young..people seriously are expected to grow up realli fast. if u have never had the high school experiance then go to high school.wat you could do get through freshman and sophmore year with home schooling in about a a year (or how ever fast you can get through it.) or just go through half of sophmore year home schooling then join during the spring semester.

you could lie about your age or just say you were held back to other students.

cause i have a friend who is a freshman and was 16 freshman year.. i know 2 people like that actually..

but on the other hand my bro is only 16 and is gunna be a senior (cuz he started early)

so really high school is mixed up with all sorts of people and age doesnt matter soo much..

some peole may say though that ur gunna b 19 soon and you'll need and job and be in college. blah blah blah.

really the world like expects people to grow up quickly. its rather stupid. do high school. its good experiance in general.

I dont really think you're too old. You should finish getting an education no matter what, and who cares what the other kids think? I mean that's why the world is so full of posers, people worry too much about what others will think. The choice is yours, I say if it's what you wanna do then go for it. We have 17 year olds as freshmens where I go we even had a guy who was like 23 when he finally graduated.

I still have problems to quite understand the education system in the US. In 8th grade you'll be 14-15 years old in Denmark and you have to take 9th grade in Denmark, so you'll be 15-16 years old when you start high school unless you take 10th grade. So to me 17 is not a high age, but the educational system is of course different in the US. So sorry I am probably not much help.

I just got curious because education has my interest.