Offensive language

donttouchmebia

Well.. this somewhat has to do with this topic.. I think.

Quoted by Jess Origliasso, one of The Veronicas

--------------------------------

Being 'gay' or 'lesbian' should not be looked down upon. Everyone has the right to their own sexual preferance. Being gay is not a disease.. please dont let people in your society treat it like one. Everyone in this world is unique..never judge someone else for not being the same as you.. its one of the greatest things about being human - that you can choose what music you listen to.. you can dress how you want to dress, you can choose your friends, and you can freely love whoever you want!

--------------------------------

And I completely agree with that.

i try not to use the word gay or fag and things like that cus i do have gay friends and i understand how they dont like it its kind of the equivelent of calling a black person a nigger and a asian person a chink its offensive and i do find my self slipping but i try not to cus even tho i dont meen it to offend people it doesnt always come off that way...

did ny one else do the day of silence i did lol i only talked once by accident i was playin chess and i said check... my friend slipped alot he said he was pissed off at himself cus he said thankyou when someone held the door open for him....

wow i got off topic in a hurry

• 1 year later...

I dont say it ina offensive way, if like a tv show gets canceled or i get homework i'd be like 'thats so gay'.. and im gay myself so I dont honestly mind., but yeah i can see your point on how it could be offensive to other people, loads of people react differently to it so it really depends on the person your talking to.

Besides that, i dotn get offended by it, but it does annoy me, is the work 'dyke', my friend uses it and she's straight and she starts rambling on about a hot guy and asks me if they are hot, and then she goes oh wait your a dyke so you cant' ...i know she doesn't mean it in nasty way but it still gets on my nerves.

blegh sorry for long paragraphs, i'll shut up now,.

i don't like using the term 'gay' out of context.

because if you're referring to something stupid, then i feel like you're saying that being gay is stupid.

i also never use the words dyke or fag, just because i generally don't like using homophobic terms. i hate unnecessary bad language of any kind to be honest.. you know how some people are like "oh i f***ing hate the f***ing way you just did that you f***ing asshole! what the f***?!"

:-x

I concur--we should all use different words rather than offensive and curse language. But we cannot infringe on other people's freedom of speech. That would be really ignorant since we are able to voice our opinions now.

We can make a difference by not saying the words ourselves, though. We can lead by example. But we cannot expect everyone to have perfect language. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

I agree with Cheyenne. But I usually do ask people to not cuss around me. And most of the time, they respect me enough and stop it. I don't think my request is ignorant though. And I don't expect people's language to be perfect. I honestly do expect some decency though. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. Like one of my friends does what Hannah talked about ("What the f*ck, you f*cking gay rapist! D*mn, stop f*cking around, you f*cking b*tch!" type thing) all the time, and it gets on my nerves. There's no need to call me or anyone else those terms. I try not to use any language at all, and it works for me.

i hardly ever curse. i cant stand how ppl always say f***.. it drives me insane

but i have come into the habbit of saying "thats soo gay"

i dont mean it to b offensive though cuz i have nuthing against gay ppl.

but i have this one teacher that if u say "thats gay" or "retarded" they will give u a detention. so im finally breaking the habbit.

In my mind, hell sounds better then heck, so therefore, I never say 'what the heck.'

I really don't care what the curse word means, I'm just getting the point across with a word that sounds better to me.

As far as calling things gay/stupid, one of my guy best friends is gay, and he himself calls things gay, stupid, and retarded.

I dont say it ina offensive way, if like a tv show gets canceled or i get homework i'd be like 'thats so gay'.. and im gay myself so I dont honestly mind., but yeah i can see your point on how it could be offensive to other people, loads of people react differently to it so it really depends on the person your talking to.

yeah i do the same thing. i'e never liked saying stuff like "thats gay" or whatever, but it doesnt offend me. i slip up and say it, but i think everyone does.

I'm absolutely terrible with bad language, i have to admit...

I'm not proud of it, but the town i live in and the people i hang around with, the same mannerisms and wys of saying things are drilled into my head. This might not excuse it, but hey sometimes i really can't help it. I'm quite an angry person, despite my best efforts, and if someone winds me up calling them a "fucking twat" is sort of what i have to do "/ i'll work on it though ! it just so happens that calling someone a "silly billy" instead just doesn't quite have the same effect ;)

Basically my entire school go around like "erggh that's so gay" if something goes wrong, but i don't actually... it's just sort of never caught on haha ;\

But yeah. Bad language. Guilty.

I'll stop one day.

I'm absolutely terrible with bad language, i have to admit...

I'm not proud of it, but the town i live in and the people i hang around with, the same mannerisms and wys of saying things are drilled into my head. This might not excuse it, but hey sometimes i really can't help it. I'm quite an angry person, despite my best efforts, and if someone winds me up calling them a "fucking twat" is sort of what i have to do "/ i'll work on it though ! it just so happens that calling someone a "silly billy" instead just doesn't quite have the same effect ;)

Basically my entire school go around like "erggh that's so gay" if something goes wrong, but i don't actually... it's just sort of never caught on haha ;\

But yeah. Bad language. Guilty.

I'll stop one day.

ha i have to agree there.. but since i never swear my friends just think it's cute when i say other things. i would soo call someone a silly billy ;-)