Internet friendships!

Blaze

A random topic I seem to see on a lot of forums now is people discussing whether people you meet on the internet count or are like real friendships.

For me anyways, I've met what i'd consider to be some of my best/closest friends online and I wouldnt change them!

How about everyone else?

well yes i would consider them real very real indeed

i met my girlfriend on this forum and we av the irish seas separting us

and i have met 4 other ppl on this forum and they are good friends of mine

I think there are certain degrees of privacy and (possibly) illusion involved in relationships formed online. So there's always the possibility that it's built on lies and preconceived expectations, no matter how genuine you think the other person is. Often this is not the case, though, so I believe it is possible to form a "not fake" friendship over the net. I see nothing wrong with considering people you've met online "real friends" but there's still something missing if you are only talking over MSN or whatever. That's why I, personally, avoid the word "real", because I reserve that to an "IRL friendship", which is still a whole different world.

My personal experiences on the subject...I'm very conscious about the line between internet and the real world, so if I really open myself up online, it's because of me being anonymous, nothing more. I've been close to meeting someone I know from the internet a couple of times, but it's never happened. :)

i think there's maybe one person on here i'd count as a "friend", haha... that's nothing personal against the rest of you, you're all lovely people, but it's just the way it is. don't really speak to many of you on a one-to-one basis so yeah.

am friends with a whole bunch of people i skate with who, looking back i did infact meet years ago from discussions on an internet forum (not this one) but who now i don't count as "internet friends" just friends. friend friends.

i'm not too big on the whole e-social thing, i mean i use the internet as a tool to maintain friendships for sure but these days it's more i just use it to wind down and spout crap that no one else would listen to ! not necessarily to form social relationships - although that isn't to say that i don't want to, it's just not my "goal" perhaps.

(this whole post makes me sound really pretentious, i realise - perhaps i am ! i'm nice really. maybe)

Ooh I agree with you.

I've known most of some good friends I have who i talk to online for 2+ years now.

Some I've known recently, and know we'll be good long - time friends.

:D

On a Green Day forum, a girl lives like a 20 minute drive away from me. We were shocked, and I've only known her almost two months, but we're already good friends. My mom actually ran into her by the mall which was a surprise to her, haha. We may go to a concert together on tuesday and plan to hang out this summer!.

i would have to say yes i do think of them as real friends...if you talk to someone on daily bases they somehow become part of your life...mabye i live in a farytale but i like to think that the people i've met this way are speaking thruth of themselves...as i speak of myself...

and i met some people not form ths forum( couse you all live so far away from me) and they became some of my really closest friends...

Well, from my personal experience, I've made one of my best friends through this site. Maddie and I met at a Paramore show after we found out that we were going to the same show on here. Now we talk daily, and she's come to visit me and I'm visiting her next month. We're honestly the best of friends now. I basically can tell her anything... and I owe it all to meeting her here on PF.

And I consider a lot of other people on here friends and I'm sure that if I did in fact meet them in person I would be better friends with them. I think the internet can definitely produce real friendships.

to me, a friend is a friend regardless of where you met them

i've met two of my best friends online

one of them i've talked to daily for a good five years

i think that counts as a friend even if i've never seen her face-to-face

and i've met a lot of other people online that i ended up seeing in person that i never would have met otherwise

i don't think it's a bad thing at all, or that it's 'fake'

let's say,

i made my only real friends through the internet. i've known them for 2 years now.

all of them live on the other side of the country, but we try to meet as many times as it's possible. and we talk every day on msn.

it's the #2 reason why i'm so addicted to internet... i can talk with my friends only through it.

i have no idea what i'd do without them.

oh and yes, if it wasn't so obvious, Dia is one of them. for sure. <3

I think of them as friends for sure. Even though I haven't met any of them in real(and I prolly won't or at least not in a few years) I think of them as really close friend of mine. Feel free to call me stupid to do that, but I choose to believe that they are genuine, and not making up stuff if you get what I mean. I can take Maddie for an example, even though we live in a whole different place of the world, I talk to her on almost a daily basis. And I tell her more about my life than I do with my friends I see everyday. I think it's easier to be honest with people that's not in the same place as you, I don't really know why. Maybe it's because you won't exactly see the reaction to what you tell them. I really see Maddie as one of my closest friends, even though I may not be one of her closest, that's the way I feel :]

i've got no real friends in real,i've tried to be friend with them but they did gossip about me,

one of them tried to fight with me and she was friend of mine since 1 year old.

so i dont want anymore ''fake'' friends near me.

and my best friend is from the internet.i met with her on a turkish paramore fan forum and she's going to come to my city for see me again,she's the best of me.

so distance is not that important