First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

The grouprip leaked today so I'm loving the quality. It sounds a lot better than the 320kbps rip. Can't wait till this album comes out Tuesday though. I'll definitely be sure to buy it. I actually like the slower songs. I think they show a more intimate side of Hayley that we wouldn't get in a heavy type of song.

Guess so.

I still think it's their worse album (possible the worse album i've heard all year?!?!?!) to date and I didn't like Riot! so figure that one out.

I don't know what to say this, but it can't be the worst album you've heard all year, it can't be as bad as you make it out to be. I think you're exaggerating. :P

i didn't really think much of the only exception when i first heard it, but i really love it

i think careful should have been released instead of ignorance though

same about the only exception i love it now but i didnt like it at first

NO! careful is my favorite and i dont want to hear it everywhere i go and get overplayed lol

Okay, this is more wordy than I had planned...

I don't have a favorite yet cause I've only listened to it once through (and yes, I opened the box set like a 5-year-old on Christmas and showed all the contents to my grandma... shut up!), but for once, I can actually hear the band's influences. They've always named influences like Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab, John Mayer, etc, but the first two albums were either too raw or too poppy, and I always knew those were the bands that inspired them, but I could never hear it. Now I do, and to me, this represents them for exactly who they are. Don't get me wrong... AWKIF and Riot! are great albums too, but brand new eyes (cause that's how it's supposed to be stylized) just feels more like I understand them as people now.

I was pleasantly surprised by "Playing God," which I thought, based on other people's reviews, was going to be a huge disappointment. Everybody saw those harsh lyrics and expected it to be really loud and angry. Yes, it's about frustration, but it's more confused frustration like Hayley honestly just doesn't understand what's going on. In that case, the music fits a lot better. As soon as I got through the first verse, I literally said, "Oh! I get it!" I really liked this one.

Others that really stood out to me: All I Wanted, Misguided Ghosts, Careful, and Turn It Off. Brick By Boring Brick is still among my favorites too. I just remember reading some of the lyrics when Hayley wasn't sure what she thought about them and showed them to a few of us in the fan club chat one night and liking the concept but not getting how it would make sense musically. Then when they played it at Unplugged in June, everything clicked, and I've loved it ever since.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the album. :)

^ I hope so too!

My only advice to people who haven't heard it yet is to just not expect anything to sound a certain way cause it's not going to sound the way you're expecting it to. Just turn it on and listen, and you'll appreciate it a lot more.

^ Haha, I almost turned on Fuse, and then I realised we're in different time zones. It's on again here in an hour and a half, so I'm gonna watch it then. :)

i better get mine tomorrow!

You'd better get yours tomorrow or I'm gonna go to FBR and punch someone. lol