First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

Well after a few listens to the album this is what I have to say.

Careful- Definitely a fiery way to open up the album and is full of energy the entire way through. Reminds me of stuff from previous times, this could be described as a transitional track, but either way it is extremely catchy.

Ignorance- I don't know whether it's the play count of 79, but it doesn't have the same impact it used to. Nevertheless, I never liked this upon first listen as much as other singles, not making it a bad track by any means though. Just seems like another Misery Business, another song that you grow tired of due to overplaying.

Playing God- I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this song, and for the people saying that they wanted something more aggressive- this is why I stay away from spoilers like lyrics or instrumentals- it gives you a predisposed opinion on what the track should sound like. Great, catchy tune that is really fun to sing along to.

Brick By Boring Brick- Didn't really click the first few times but has grown on me to become a fun track. It is suitable for a single and as someone else mentioned, the bridge is truly beautiful. I also love a section of 'ba da da's or stuff like that so yeah.

Turn It Off- This was my favorite when I first listened to the album and something about it makes it instantly likeable. It seems a tad slow but shows Hayley's great voice and leaves you feeling good after listening.

The Only Exception- I was a bit on the fence regarding this track, it was instantly memorable but also seemed a bit repetitious and slow. I think it could use a better climax or have Hayley go up the octave but I supposed they built up the song in other ways than that on purpose. Not bad, just lack that power I'm used to with Paramore.

Feeling Sorry- Another song that didn't click instantly, but after a few more listens it became a very acceptable track that wasn't the strongest but was far from bad. I like the use of the 3/4 time signature as it creates some interesting rhythms.

Looking Up- It took me the most listens out of all the tracks to get this one stuck in my head, and it's probably because the song is rather generic. It's like the 'Miracle' of Riot, it's not bad but it doesn't have any defining quality that makes it stand out.

Where The Lines Overlap- This is a song that's hard to describe- it's not wonderful musically or lyrically but damn does it do a great job at making you feel good. It's a song where you smile after the first few notes. I could see this being a good single as well, and I like the slower pace as it makes it seem calmer.

Misguided Ghosts- I have mixed feelings regarding this song, usually when I listen I enjoy it, in particular Hayley's voice which is great to hear without any strain. However, other times I just get plain bored. I think that towards the end the texture could have thickened to make the song more interesting but it is what it is, and I guess it's okay.

All I Wanted- I can tell that this song will mostly be remembered for Hayley's one line where the instruments come out and she sings about the greatest note I've ever heard from her. That is one beautiful moment and the first time I listened I was speechless. Otherwise a good song, but the vocals really propel it into the 'great' level.

Overall, a great album and my favorite from Paramore so far. I liked the variety and the way they weren't afraid to experiment. We heard new things, and even though it can't be so great for hardcore fans of Riot it's still a great experience for others. Standout tracks for me are Turn It Off & Playing God, and to a slightly lesser extent All I Wanted & Careful. There were no dissappointing tracks but in comparison the weakest for me would have to be Looking Up & Misguided Ghosts, and to a lesser extent Ignorance, which is just overplayed.

Careful – I was listening to the intrumental one before and I’ve already loved it. The melody is epic and I guess, Careful is the most energic of the album. To come back to the melody, Hayley’s voice is so strong and fits so good.

Playing God – Yup, the first thing I thought was “shouldn’t it actually be more aggressive and fast?”. Although, I’m more than happy with it. The Lyrics are so amazing. Hayley posted “You don't deserve a point of view, if the only thing you see is you” in a LJ update months ago, and I can remember how I loved it (and I still am). Playing God is definitely one of my favourites off the album.

Brick By Boring Brick – This song amazes me, really. I can’t even find the words to describe how I’m actually feeling about it, haha. Also among my favourites. (It’s Taylor’s favourite song off the album! :D )

Turn It Off – Slower song, but beautiful in it’s best view. “And the worst part is before it get any better. We’re headed for a cliff. And in the free fall I will realize I'm better off when I hit the bottom”

The Only Exception – I don’t like it yet, though the line”And that was the day that I promised

I'd never sing of love If it does not exist” is nice. And the ending when Hayley sings “I’ve got a tight grip on reality…” is probably the best of the song. But the chorus is pretty boring to be honest.

Feeling Sorry – I love it! One of the songs that makes me feel good after I listened to it. And when I first listened to it, I felt like this is going to be my favourite off the album. And I haven’t felt that wrong ;D

Looking Up – Seriously the “woah-oahoah” parts are damn catchy! And I find it slightly amusing that I thought it would end but Hayley goes like “I can’t believe we almost hung it up” and I was shocked, haha.

Where The Lines Overlap – It’s SO amazing live, and I love how you can hear Josh sing on the album. It gives me chills, just because there is this positive vibe that makes me feel so good.

Misguided Ghosts – Not what I expected either, but damn, I fully and absolutely loving it. I love acoustic songs anyways. And in the very first listening, I thought it also could be by Tegan and Sara, but don’t shoot me :lol:

All I wanted – First thing I noticed: Hayley voice. She got very high there, which fascinated me completely. Definitley gives me chills, too.

Careful - I completely loved the instrumental that leaked and was even more impressed with the vocals. Definetly a favourite.

Ignorance - Loved this song since I heard the live versions from the No Doubt tour on Youtube. Still love it and this is probably my favourite Paramore song overall.

Playing God - I expected this to be alot more upbeat but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm guessing the whole thing about Hayley screaming in this track was pretty over exagerrated.

Brick By Boring Brick - Love! Love! Love! A really great song, that's all I can say. "Ba-da-ba-ba-da-ba-ba-ba"

Turn It Off - I expected this to be quite a slow song and didn't think I'd like it as much as the upbeat faster songs but it's quite a chirpy song. Really like the chorus!!

The Only Exception - Like my (wrong) expectations for Turn It Off I didn't think I'd like this as much as the others but it's ok although, compared to the rest, this is my least favourite BNE song.

Feeling Sorry - The first line about living in the same town reminded me of "Teenagers" from the Jennifer's Body Soundtrack. I'm guessing I'm comparing it to the thing about sleeping 3 feet apart which made me think of it. Just thought I'd say that, even though it's pretty pointless. Don't know what else to comment on about this. I like it but I don't have many thoughts on it at the moment.

Looking Up - At first I thought it was still Feeling Sorry I was listening to since the beginning is very similar. Again, I don't have many thoughts on this at the moment but I do like it.

Where The Lines Overlap - After hearing the live No Doubt tour versions I didn't really like it but after listening to the studio version I love it!! Such an upbeat, happy song.

Misguided Ghosts - Reviewers made a big deal of this and, although I do like it, I don't think it's a brilliant song. I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

All I Wanted - Looking at some reviews from other people, they seem to love it. I really like it too but I don't think it is really that amazing.Another one that'll have to grow on me. Hayley's vocals are amazing by the way. Not just on this track but overall. She has quite a maturer voice in my opinion.

Only one thing to do now, learn all the lyrics before the Glasgow show in Decemeber!! I'm pretty sure I'll have learned them all by the beginning of October though!

i'm too lazy right now it get all into it and tell a story about every single song [i went to bed LATE last night/this morning] but i will say this: the album is nothing i expected, i didn't think it would sound the way that it did. i never thought i'd hear songs that i've heard on this record...it is way off from Riot! - yet:

I LOVE IT AND CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO IT.

this album makes me think, makes me close my eyes and it drags me into 40 mins of learning about each and every one of them. they've grown && i'm glad i can watch it happen. this record is going to be HUGE for them. they really out did themselves.

[[standing o for paramore]]