Music Recommendation Week 5: Kayla (watchthesky)

watchthesky

...with a little bit of help from ross :P

i know it's nearly two weeks late but hopefully it was worth the wait

anybody who actually watches all these videos gets cookies

City and Colour

City and Colour is the acoustic folk side project of Alexisonfire’s vocalist/guitarist, Dallas Green. Clever, eh? His debut album, Sometimes, was released in Canada in 2005 and everywhere else in 2009 following the success of follow-up release, Bring Me Your Love, south of the border. Bring Me Your Love employs a more folk orientated sound compared to its predecessor, which was little more than Mr. Green with his trusty acoustic. The songs themselves are carried seamlessly and emotionally via arguably his most impressive instruments, his soaring vocals and remarkable writer's craft. One listen of either album should be more than enough to make you connect with the man as he spills his heart and life experiences in fully glorious acoustic which will surely lead you to fall as in love with this man as I am.

City+and+Colour+BW+7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btjhdHX8pMo

(if you only watch one video watch that last one, 100% pure raw talent there)

Texas Is The Reason

In 1999, Jimmy Eat World released "Clarity" often lauded as an exceptional piece of work, their magnum opus depending on who you speak to. But three years previous in 1996, a small band from New York City released an album not exactly a million miles away from the Clarity-era JEW sound. That album was "Do You Know Who You Are?" and that band was Texas is the Reason. Living in the post-Sunny Day Real Estate scene, TitR went about making a name for themselves. Debut (and sole) album, Do You Know Who You Are, made that mark with MTV heralding the band as the "next big thing" in the current punk scene eventually leading to a deal with Capitol Records (although the band split before recording anything). Playing the ever so infectious brand of nineties emo that just begs to be over played, this band will soon become the gem in your collection.

titrinterviewwr2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDijY33j1Tc

Something Corporate

While bands from California were content plying their trade in the booming punk scene, one band of brothers decided their musical career was destined to follow a different path. Deconstructing his thoughts behind his piano, Andrew McMahon and Something Corporate quickly mastered the art of the fun, piano-driven, indie-rock song. Debut album Leaving Through the Window shows of McMahon's lyrical genius and witty humour to great effect with songs filled with witty lines and cleverly crafted choruses. Then with next release, North, not only was the indie rock piano formula perfected but lyrical maturity soon followed leading to an album with possible unrivaled lyrical craft within the genre at the time. The band soon went their separate ways, although Andrew still continued with Jack's Mannequin - a project not entirely dissimilar from the band he made his name with. But they can't fill the SoCo shaped hole in my heart no matter how hard I try. COME BACK SOCO, I MISS YOU!

Something+Corporate+somethingcorporate5.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTO1fO8P0ek

• Like 1

Got into Texas Is The Reason ages ago, due to having an older sister who is an absolute walking punk and indie encylopedia.

Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas Is the Reason and Jimmy Eat World, that stuff was always the real deal emo.

Sad that nowadays you have kids that just hop on the emo bandwagon because it's the most popular thing and turned into a superficial fashion festival, which totally misss the point, because it's obvious the 90s emo dudes weren't so fashion conscious and were just about being themselves rather than the others around them, so it was nothing but genuine and straight from the heart passionate music.

Plus they didn't wear make up, which I consider a big bonus (and proves the point they were more concerned about music first and foremost and image second, rather than the other way around in the case of some modern emo bands) because males shouldn't be wearing makeup (I now anxiously await female emo fans who love their guys in makeup to vehemently disagree with me on that point:p)

Now Harry, i know you love your mightier-than-thou spiels and really, i think you're a good guy, but was it necessary to use this thread as a platform to spout a well tired point on a debate that everyone (well, most) is pretty much over ? no, dear harry, no :(

...ANYWAY kayla i love dallas green with my entire being and something corporate have a good bit of nostalgia points stored away from repeated sneaky ipod plays in year 9 history classes. I'm willing to give Texas is the reason a chance, but sometimes these relationships just don't work out and we grow up and grow apart and there is no fault in this, it's just something that happens.

...:willy_nilly:

@Jorgi : Well this is the PF board, staying totally topic just isn't cool here:lol:

Part of the rant/anger in my post probably stems from the fact I was quite pissed off I had managed to cut my foot open just prior to posting that. Which is really fucking weird, cos I always constantly wear skate shoes which are pretty much non foot cuttable kinda of shoes and the one time I'm not wearing shoes I cut my foot open lol

Bleeding foot makes Harry a sad (and angry) panda

Also, I heard City and Color and it was quite good.

I dont want to be mean or anything, but its City and Colour. There's a u in color, thats not just Kayla using the British spelling of it.

i always feel bad correcting people on that haha

so many people, even other canadians, spell it color and i'm like GUYS

he's canadian, we use british spelling, there's a u :P

Yeah I know, but I hate most Aus/British spellings that have their American variations to be honest.

To me it doesn't make sense to spell "Center" as "Centre" for example, the American spelling just looks more right to the eye.

Being Australian of course means I had to learn how to adapt to both types of spellings.

Really, on most forum boards I go on, it's just easier to spell in American and not have people question why you spell things a certain way and rag on about it forever, but if I'm going to be sending a formal email to somewhere in Australia, obviously I'm not gonna use American spellings.

Anyway, on topic:

TEXAS IS THE REASON FOR THE WIN.

Sucks they only released one full length