Week 8 Recommendation: Jorgi

Jorgi

I love that my name on the proper thread thing is as Georgina. How rad is that.

Anyway. Just so you know i'll add links to the songs later, can't really be bothered right now !

Okay, here we go. i do have to warn you that this isn't going to be a particularly coherent set of recommendations, in the sense that i. you know. don't make much sense. ever. I ramble so much.

Also keep in mind none of them are very genre-ically relevant to the other.

Caroline Smith and The Good Night Sleeps

i'm gonna go ahead and say acoustic/folk/pop

http://www.myspace.com/carolinesmithmusic

csatgns.jpg

Okay, so let us begin with some delightful acoustic mellowness. Caroline Smith and The Good Night Sleeps. A bit of a mouthful, especially considering it might as well just be "Caroline Smith" by herself, but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it don't you think ? Stumbled across this band/artist a good while ago and although they've only released a single CD in the time i've known of them, called backyard tent set, a jolly good'un it is too. Typically typical songs about heartbreak and relationships and life, although the awkward honesty manages to shine through endearingly and i actually just love to listen to this record the whole way through, just sitting. Preferably in the sunshine but it's winter now so that's unlikely. Yes.

Songs: Clench My Teeth, Tying My Shoes, You Promised Me

Emarosa

google says "post-hardcore rock". i completely disagree.

http://www.myspace.com/emarosa

emarosa.jpg

Emarosa existed before Jonny Craig joined them, but i didn't know about them until he left Dance Gavin Dance to leap into this band. Now, you may or may not have heard me warble on about Jonny Craig before. If you haven't, or if you have, here i go again; he is a vocal god. It is undeniable. Just give, literally the first 3 seconds of the past should stay dead a play and try and tell me otherwise. His voice, along with the delightful dancing guitars in the background make this band a go-to choice for me if i ever need to get hyped up for something. Their album Relativity makes regular airtime in my car if i have to make a boring journey down the m25, just to liven it up, even if other road users do give me odd looks.

Songs: The Past Should Stay Dead, Set It Off Like Napalm, Her Advice Cost Us A Life

Ellie Goulding

i'm probably just going to have to admit this to being Pop...

http://www.myspace.com/elliegoulding

l_0881eded6eb745f09303824023e510e2.jpg

Okay so i made a thread about this girl a couple of weeks back after i saw her on Later With Jools Holland on the telly, as was completely impressed. Her voice is kind of fascinating, maybe a little annoying to begin with (oops aren't i meant to be selling this artist to you guys?!) but i kind of love her a little bit. A little bit Regina Spektor/Imogen Heap/Bon Iver-y, but better (with the exception of Bon Iver - damn should've rec'd Bon Iver...). Give her single Under The Sheets a few whirls and you won't get it out of your head, trust.

Songs: Under The Sheets, Starry Eyed, Wish I Stayed

Mogwai

instrumental post-rock experimental awesomeness

http://www.myspace.com/mogwai

l_3a18dfa9639c4a5e902aef61f7af2506.jpg

I know this is meant to be relatively unknown bands, and (at least by like, natural law they shoud be) Mogwai are quite well known. I don't really know what to say about them, they're just genius. They've been around for a while now, and i keep stumbling across tracks i haven't heard before and every single one never fails to impress. Fully definitive dynamic pieces, they're just magnificent to listen to. That's a good word that, Magnificent.

Songs: Any song, any one at all. I personally love the entire of Hawk Is Howling but people often shout at me for that. Never mind ey.

I think out of the list Emarosa are my favourite. I think out of life Emarosa are my favourite. My spirit was dampened for a while when Jonny Craig released a solo album and - not gonna lie - it legit sucked. like. SUCKED.

But i love Emarosa, so i'd give them a listen even if i was to ignore the rest :)

Craig makes everything sound so ridiculously epic that it's always hard for me to listen to a full Emarosa album. :D Ach, but how rewarding it is...

I didn't think Ellie Goulding sounded weird...just kind of quirky. I liked the dubstep remix more than the original "under the sheets", but yeah, it did get stuck in my head. I'm probably not doing myself any favors by listening to it again right now butbutbut meh.

I'm also downloading a Mogwai album now. We'll see how it turns out. :shifty:

EXACTLY. E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. when i saw emarosa on the ym@6 tour and that song started, i actually could've died. (literally because i was squashed in between two heffer men, and metaphorically because jonny is GOD).

aye i didnt know any off their stuff til i went to that tour. i was blown away to say the least.

I was gonna do Mogwai for mine in week 12 damn it:(

Guess I'll have to think of something else then.

Excellent band, I've been a fan of them for years and I've got most of their discography and I feel their stuff is extremely consistent in quality from release to release.

I'll give the other recommendations a go soonish