Help for a newbie

travel_hymn

I own some awesome guitars, I wont lie.

My latest score, an Ibanez RG 1527, costs me $1300 AU (Australian dollars).

My 7 string before that, an Ibanez RG 7421, costs me about 500 Dollars.

The truth is, I am actually not rich and had to work to afford my first 7 string guitar, which was also 3rd hand AFAIK. It's a 1999 model, so they would have cost about 1500 Dollars brand new.

I also managed to score new pickups for the guitar for half the brand new price and the previous owners barely used them.

RG 1527s costs 2899 Dollars brand new in Australia, and it came with about 700 dollars worth of modifications. The previous owner had barely played the damn thing.

Again, the truth is, I'm not rich and when I saw an incredible bargain, I jumped on it.

I just found if I wanted something, I'd do what was necessary to get it.

My first 7 string involved delivering advertisements by hand, walking 5-6 hours a day.

The second 7 string, I just stayed home and saved my money rather than going to the pub every weekend like my friends did.

I also used to think "Why do I miss out on the bargains/good deals?" but over time, they will come to you if you are willing to research and look hard enough.

I know have professional level instruments that will be ready by the time I go to start a band or join a serious, proper band.

You may be pretty envious of my guitars, but trust me, I know people with like, 15-20 fucking awesome guitars, so you imagine how envious I am of their guitars haha.

Shit, I don't even own a guitar amp to be honest:oops: It gets embarrassing explaining to older, more experienced players that I don't even own one:lol:

But heh, there are guys twice my age, even older, that have been impressed by my playing, amp or no amp, because the reality is so much of it is dependent on how well you can actually play.

:D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OKAY, FOUR BEATS IN A MESAURE OF 4/4, YES?

So your strumming goes:

ONE, TWO-AND, THREE, FOUR.

Downstroke, Downstroke/Upstroke, Downstroke, Downstroke.

But I have to do this in a I IV V progression of D-G-A. How???

I can do it with just the D chord, but I don't know how to do the D-G-A thing.

I know how to play the G and A chords, but I don't know how to do the progression. I'm playing the track, and of course it sounds different to just playing it with the D chord (which I got down perfectly), but now I'm stuck.

I can't draw. oh well. I did it in Paint. XD

30djgvo.png

never mind that the length of those aren't the same. XD

but you all know what I mean, right...:P

I don't know what the book says, so I can only guess, but I think you're supposed to play each chord for one bar/four beats. If the book had wanted you to play the three chords in one bar, it would've told you how to divide them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. You're just supposed to learn how to switch chords confidently and on time. :)

I believe its telling you to strum in an down, down, up, down, down motions.

Also, I have a tip for you that's not realevent to your question. Since you're starting out transtitioning from chord to chord, try switching to similar chord shapes, like C to a G7, or a C to a Cmaj7.

Downstroke, Downstroke/Upstroke, Downstroke, Downstroke.

I can do it with just the D chord, but I don't know how to do the D-G-A thing.

After that? Well okay, it's no harm either, you're right.

As a side question, Lara, does the book explain the roman numerals (I, IV and V)?

Yeah, I even drew it out. Of course I knew :P

The book says,

Let's put our D-family chords to task in a progression that utilizes the strumming pattern we just learned. The following example contains a D-G-A progression. In the industry, this is called a I-IV-V progression in the key of D. Technically, a I-IV-V progression is based on the harmony of the first, fourth and fifth scale tones of the major scale, but we don't need to go into that.

...then it just says how a lot of songs are based upon the I-IV-V progression, and it mentions that a double bar line with two dots in front of it is a repeat sign, but I learned that years ago. :P

And then it just shows what I drew in paint, it's repeated four times, and as you see in the pic I posted, it has D posted above it in the first bar. It doesn't mention a change to G or A, so I'm just confused. ehh.

But it doesn't sound like that at all. :(

Listen to the second half, the first half as you can tell is just the D chord being played in that strumming pattern, but the second half, which is supposed to be the chord progression...doesn't. It doesn't sound like D chord first bar, G chord second. :S

Listen to it, download here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/en6fs5

Yup, sounds like the three chords are divided across two bars. The guy's playing D and G in the first bar (you can hear how the chord changes on the third beat, right?) and then he plays A for the second bar. I don't know why the chord changes aren't described properly, maybe he assumed the players would hear them on their own. *shrug*

Yeah, because I know what the chords sound like but I'm not used to it. This is like only the third piece I'm playing or something, I'm not a genious :(

so first bar goes D - G, then second bar is all A? lemme try it...

OHHH I GOT IT!! thank you SO much you are a genius

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Justin is your friend. Take the beginners course and stick to his practise schedules to start with.

I got an electric guitar last Christmas and I've had moments where I want to just give up completely because I think it's too hard, but at the end of the day, as Harry said, you are pretty much never going to completely maser guitar. Since last year, I've already purchased a new Epiphone Les Paul Custom to replace my beat up squire strat(which I still love), which goes to show how much I've enjoyed learning guitar when I've spent that much on it already.

• 2 weeks later...
Bit late for that seeing as I have a book that's been PAID for that I've already started and would rather finish. And I'm doing okay with it too. :P

Anywhere.

I've given up for a while cause of this, it's taking too long for me to get the hang of moving my fingers between chords in time as well. I'm just going back to the piano for now.

Contradictory :P And don't give up, you just gotta get into a routine. Practice a bit each day and eventually you'll be alright :)