Help for a newbie

travel_hymn

I missed this thread completely and it seems everything's already been said; BUT I HAVE TO ADD

that i have never received an injury ever from playing guitar. except when a string snapped and pinged back and whipped my cheek. so i think this talk of wrist/back damage is like, unnecessary scaremongering going on here. it could happen, but then you could fall down some stairs and break your neck you know, it ain't gonna stop you walking down some stairs.

also, for what it's worth, i got a teach-yourself acoustic "step 1" book which taught you the basics of note reading and a couple major chords and then went on to tabs from there, and then onto electric. never had a guitar lesson in my life, so i don't think it's necessary; infact i think it's the one of the reasons i've continued playing for so long, i ditched piano after a few years because i could not stand my teacher at all.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my point of view the best think you could do is just take it easy. Leart the basic like chords and strumming patterns. Then go to tabs to prepare yourself to be able to move fingres across the fretboart quickly,and after that try learning easu acustic song progressions. After you manage to overcome all that then try little more complicated tabs ( not that i am saying that chruscx3 is complicated,but it is complicated for a noob.) I play guitar for 7 months now so i am a begginer too, i never took any class beather do i plan. Most of the begginer things you colud learn by yourlself but it would be helpfull if you can get a peace of advice from someone who plays for longer time.

That is all

hope it was helpful :)

yeah i am acustic also :)

you you have stealed or nylon strings?

Try this video for repairing strings:

It's different from how I change mine but there are different ways. That way seems the simplest. And your Dad shouldn't be mad at you because you ARE going to break strings and will have to change them if you play often. I play a lot so I'm changing mine quite often because I wear them out so much. And breaks are going to happen no matter what.

the string wasn't in tune, it wasn't, but he thinks I was wrong. now I'm getting screamed at and it's all over reacting. :(

Over a string, he's screaming? Oh, boy. Chances are, even if it WAS in tune then the string was defective if that's the case. Or perhaps it just wasn't tied in properly.

WAIT, did the string completely snap off or did it make a snap sound and now it's loose?

no, it's snapped off.

and now i really wish i didn't get it....because now i know i have to change strings often and it will cost us a lot of money? this isn't good at all. that's why i didnt like being told to get a teacher, i have no money or time at ALL for something like that. it's easier said than done.

I just want to do something in my spare time, because i dont go out that much and i just want to learn guitar, why does it suddenly become such a big deal? Why do they have to make me feel worthless I don't need to be told off like this...ergghh.

no, it's snapped off.

and now i really wish i didn't get it....because now i know i have to change strings often and it will cost us a lot of money? this isn't good at all. that's why i didnt like being told to get a teacher, i have no money or time at ALL for something like that. it's easier said than done.

I just want to do something in my spare time, because i dont go out that much and i just want to learn guitar, why does it suddenly become such a big deal? Why do they have to make me feel worthless I don't need to be told off like this...ergghh.

for real, calm thoughts. the people here and yourself (sorry, guys) are making playing the guitar to be a bigger deal than it really is. you do not have to change the strings any more often than like, every few months (unless they snap (or you end up playing in a band because then tonation is an issue, but just playing for yourself it does not matter - i had the same strings on for pushing a year and a half...)).

once you've got the basics down strumming chords is the most relaxing thing ever swear down. and learning to play your favourite song feels fantastic.

it takes time and perseverence, but so does everything worth anything.

guitar is rad, snapped strings are part of the deal and they're not expensive anyway, and your dad needs to chill !

I missed this thread completely and it seems everything's already been said; BUT I HAVE TO ADD

that i have never received an injury ever from playing guitar. except when a string snapped and pinged back and whipped my cheek.

Don't take this the wrong way and no offense intended, but :rotfl:

Plus, a lot of strings that come with the guitar are cheap anyway.

If you get a really shitty guitar yeah, but otherwise a lot of guitars come with D'addario, Ernie Ball etc strings from the factory.

Hell, my dad got a new guitar 2 months ago, it came with Elixirs from the factory, which are fairly expensive strings.

As for string changing, if I buy sets of non-coated strings, I change mine every 7-10 days.

"HOW DO YOU AFFORD THAT?" you ask? Well, basically I just spend less money on alcohol than my friends do:lol:

I know every 7-10 days sounds insane, but after that, gunks starts to really build up and it effects string bending and vibrato.

That shouldn't worry you at this stage though, and you can get away with having strings for a month or even more.

I also record my own stuff at home and for that, having fairly fresh strings is vital, but again, no something for you to worry about now, perhaps later down the track though if you get into that stuff.

String winders are for pussies.

Well, my dad has one and it's rather good. My dad doesn't live with me, so I don't get to use it.

DAMN YOU FATHER, DAMN YOU!

You're lucky anyway, on the latest guitar I bought, because of the way it's designed, the guitar will hold in perfect tuning for almost 2 weeks non stop, but on the negative side it needs about 20-25 minutes to restring it:p I doubt the guitar you bought requires that

Swearing?

Oh come on, that's pretty toned down for me:p

Acoustics are not harder or easier, just a different instrument, different tools in the box really.

You wouldn't want to try to play death metal on an acoustic, nor would I want to play a song written specifically for acoustic guitar with my electric guitar with the gain set to uber high levels.

hahaha well I'm sorry I'm snobby like that

I guess it depends on what kind of player you are

no, it's snapped off.

guitar is so much fin afterwards...the main thing i stress - DONT GIVE UP!!!

String winders are for pussies.

Well, my dad has one and it's rather good. My dad doesn't live with me, so I don't get to use it.

DAMN YOU FATHER, DAMN YOU!

You're lucky anyway, on the latest guitar I bought, because of the way it's designed, the guitar will hold in perfect tuning for almost 2 weeks non stop, but on the negative side it needs about 20-25 minutes to restring it:p I doubt the guitar you bought requires that

I just realized that you just called your father a pussy, then you said you wanted to use it, which would make you a pussy also.

You just contradicted yourself man... :rotfl: