Help for a newbie

travel_hymn

I just realized that you just called your father a pussy, then you said you wanted to use it, which would make you a pussy also.

You just contradicted yourself man... :rotfl:

I wont lie Ernie...........I realized the irony of what I said some 15 and a half hours ago when I made the post:wink:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you sit down when you play? If it hurts, you are probably doing it wrong and you need to fix your posture. Make sure you are sitting up straight, because the Quasimodo-posture is the first thing that makes your back ache when you're playing. You don't have to be rigid, just try to find a comfortable position. It's a new situation for your body and it might need some time to adapt, don't worry about it, but if it starts to hurt, put your guitar away for a moment and post on PF or whatever till you feel like playing again. If you are using the classical position that Harry mentioned, I'd say try playing the guitar in whatever position you find most comfortable (just having the guitar sit on your lap, for example) as the classical position can be physically a bit more demanding and it miiight suck some fun out of it (I had already played for 3 or 4 years when I learned the classical position so it's hardly necessary). You can avoid injuries by remembering this:

-If it hurts, you are either

a) tensing up and need to relax,

B) doing it RONG, or

c) pushing your body into something it hasn't gotten used to, and you should take a break (your fingertips will have a hell to go through before they harden up)

One thing you might consider is not storing your guitar in its case but rather having it somewhere where it is constantly available to you. I always have at least one of my guitars right next to me when I'm on my computer so that I can whip it out anytime I want. Personally, I'm much more willing to play my guitar if I can grab it and put it away with as little effort as possible, and this will ultimately make you more comfortable with handling the guitar and such when you are constantly using it (maybe not even practicing, but just...noodling). The correct posture will find you eventually. This might sound unnecessary but it has proved itself with my own students. :P

As for what you should start out with...well, that's a good question. I'd say learn the basic major chords (E, G, A, C and D) and minor chords (Em, Am and Dm). Major chord is the happy chord, minor chord is the sad chord and they only differ from one another by one note.

For example, here's A major (or A)

e-----0-------

b-----2-------

g-----2-------

d-----2-------

a-----0-------

e-------------

and here's A minor (or Am)

e-----0-------

b-----1-------

g-----2-------

d-----2-------

a-----0-------

e-------------

You don't have to get into the theory of it all, but internalizing this is hardly overwhelming (I'm looking at you, Harry. No one needs to know why the major scale is made of two Ionian tetrachords in order to learn the scale itself ;-)) and you have the guitar to try these chords out so I'd say you are ready for it. :P If you feel optimistic, try the F chord, which is a barre chord (you have to use your index finger to press down all of the strings at the same time. You'll find instructions to play all of these chords from the webs with a bit of googling.

There are many many songs that only require you to strum different chords back to back so learn these chords and you have the basics to play (approximately :shifty:) half of all the songs ever made.

Don't let this get in the way of you learning whatever you want to play, though. Crushcrushcrush is originally played in drop C#, but this tab is made for the drop D tuning and it sounds correct for the few seconds of it that I played. EDIT: Okay, you don't even use the bottom string with that tab, so yeah. :lol: Doesn't matter if your guitar's in standard tuning or drop D.

Finally, take advantage of players that have more experience than you have. Keep asking questions, because I know for a fact that every guitarist on the planet enjoys showing off his infinite knowledge. It's nowhere near impossible to make progress without a proper teacher when you are willing to find things out on your own and learn from other players.

I don't even know what a tetrachord is:shifty: I read about it once, but forgot what it was about lol.

Pekka is the "I take jazz theory classes and also have studied classical guitar" dude of the forum, so as far as music theory he goes, he knows A LOT more than me and in comparison, I'm a down and dirty unschooled rock and roll guitarist.

I also can't read music for shit either to be honest. Anything more than trying to read simple 8th note melodies in notation makes my brain explode:shifty:

So yeah, Pekka is probably much better to ask regarding music theory.

I've honestly gotten to a point where I'm happy with the level of theory I know and don't really plan to learn significantly more.

The level of theory I do know means I can branch out to pretty much most styles of rock music, from pop rock to technical progressive death metal with no problems.

The theory I don't know means I probably cannot compose an epic Romantic era classical style piece any time soon nor play much in the way of jazz.

Does it bother me? Not really, because I've pigeon holed myself as a rock guitarist and I'm cool with that.

Pekka will come in and say "UR DOIN IT RONG, LIMITIN URSELF LIEK TAHT", but I'll be like "Well, I do as I do, bitch":cool:

Sometimes it's okay to set yourself boundaries, believe it or not.

You can set yourself boundaries and choose to push yourself within those boundaries.

Or just do whatever and set yourself none.

Both are just different approaches, neither right or wrong.

If you just want to be a hobbyist player, as you said previously, there's no pressure to go out and learn HEAPS of theory.

Knowing a certain amount will expand your creative options and as weird as it sounds, but it's actually kinda fun to know some theory and then be able to listen to music and say "So that's what they are doing!".

Often you'll find many tabs that are incorrect and many times, theory has helped me work out songs easier by ear.

I'd actually recommend NOT going on the computer if your feel any pain in your back or wrist. Go and do something else, go for a walk or whatever, cos sitting down on the computer ain't gonna help.

But chances are, once you get into good practicing habits, have good technique and take care of your physical health, it shouldn't be much of an issue anyway.

I also prefer putting my guitar back in the case which means it's away from the air and what not and as a benefit means your strings don't go all crusty and gross as fast.

You really must be a lazy cunt Pekka if that's that much trouble to get the guitar out of the case each time:pfawk.gif

And if playing in the classical position sucks the fun out of playing, that probably has more to do with the player being a fucking negative pants than anything else. If you do it correctly, it should feel quite comfortable indeed and I see no reason to see any negativity in it, especially since it is one of the best sitting positions to play in to avoid injuries.

One thing that should be mentioned, that when sit down is to raise one leg (depending on whether you play in the classical position, which is the guitar situated on the leg left, or the right leg, which is some unnamed position) with books or a small stool or whatever.

That way you will less likely to be hunched over and it raises your wrist to a higher position which also has the side benefit of meaning your wrist is on less of an angle which = less chance of injury and greater comfort.

Ah, I should've seen the music theory rant coming, but notice how I only talked about the difference between a major chord and a minor chord. If anyone wants to limit themselves to not even learning that, then okay, but ugh :rotfl:

Harry's right about the postures and all that, so try things out and see what works best for you.

Ah, I should've seen the music theory rant coming, but notice how I only talked about the difference between a major chord and a minor chord. If anyone wants to limit themselves to not even learning that, then okay, but ugh :rotfl:

Harry's right about the postures and all that, so try things out and see what works best for you.

That's about all I know of music theory--major and minor :D Well, I do know bits and pieces of other things concerning musical theory but dear God, at the rate I'm going I'll never know diddly-squat else.

Ahhh guys thanks I appreciate your time :)

The only thing is, now that I'm getting the hang of it, well...You know how I said I snapped the second string? Well, it's been replaced now, but I can't get it in tune. It's loose. :( I mean, when I tighten it, the electronic tuner says it's a different note. When I do get it to B (since it is the B string), it's really loose and it makes a buzzing noise when I pluck it. :(

I'm guessing you have it tuned to another B one or two octaves lower. The tuner will recognize the note as a B but it might not be the right one. Play the 4th fret of the G string and you'll hear the note that the B string is supposed to be tuned to. Keep in mind that new strings will go out of tune fast and you'll have to keep retuning them until they "settle in". It usually takes a couple of days for me.

Actually, if it takes several days for the strings to settle in, you're probably doing it RONG.

Mine "settle in" within about 30 minutes usually, sometimes even less.

With my old 6 string that I just sold that had locking tuners, it would "settle in" within about 5 minutes, I'm going to assume Lara probably doesn't have an expensive guitar with locking tuners.

Here's my process of "settling in" new strings:

I actually tune the string 2 to 3 semi tones higher than it's actually meant to be tuned to.

I then proceed to literally physically stretch the string with my hand by grabbing it with my fingers and pulling it upwards over the fretboard (as in, pulling the string towards the ceiling if the guitar is sitting across your lap, or on a table/bench) around the 15-19th fret or so.

You'll notice the string then lowers in pitch, by as much as several semi tones, sometimes even below the note you intend to tune to. This is because the string has been literally stretched.

If you keep repeating this process about 8-10 or more times (it always varies, you'll eventually know over time when it's been done properly), the string will be pretty much 99 per cent properly stretched. Play guitar for a bit, hit the strings fairly hard and keep retuning and the strings should be pretty much in tune

Just so you don't feel paranoid, I've NEVER broken a string doing this, even though this method might sound on paper to be stressful to the strings.

If a string did break doing it, it was just a poorly manufactured string in the first place.

This is a good tip, that you could write down, copy and paste and save in a notepad file or whatever you like:D

Once you put on the strings, give them a few, gentle tugs to ease the tension. It'll help them settle in quicker and you'll get out the rest of the slack. After that, just tune it up again.

EDIT: It seems Harry already had that tip covered. DAMN YOU, HARRY.

LOCKING tuners? :crybad: I need some. I keep having to tune my guitar it's cheap and shitty :rotfl: The whole package - amp/tuner/guitar/picks/strap/bag/dvd was $160. So that just shows you what a shitty guitar it is. Keep in mind I've never picked up a guitar before so I don't mind that much...It does get frustrating for people who are impatient like myself though. :P

....and yes a string did snap doing it, which is why I had to replace it. Goes to show you how cheap this instrument is. :oops:

My first guitar was a 10 year old jumbo sized acoustic with the strings an inch off the fretboard, i got it because my parents thought i would never stick at it, but i did, i would have loved a proper starter park. I cant offer much tips than has already been said, but whatever you do stick at it! You are going to feel discouraged and want to kill your guitar, but ive been playing for over 5 years and still feel like that sometimes, but if you keep going, you will become a good guitar player, for a starter guitarist though I suggest only playing songs you like, youll be able to dedicate yourself more that way!

Yeah it does the job, Jorgi. It sounds better now too! I've had to tune it quite a bit but eh, I'm learning to be more patient this way. :)

My first guitar was a 10 year old jumbo sized acoustic with the strings an inch off the fretboard, i got it because my parents thought i would never stick at it, but i did, i would have loved a proper starter park. I cant offer much tips than has already been said, but whatever you do stick at it! You are going to feel discouraged and want to kill your guitar, but ive been playing for over 5 years and still feel like that sometimes, but if you keep going, you will become a good guitar player, for a starter guitarist though I suggest only playing songs you like, youll be able to dedicate yourself more that way!

That's exactly why I have the proper tab book for RIOT! :D

I'm going through this book I bought called "All About Guitar" by Tom Kolb, it comes with a CD so I can play along with the tracks on it. Once I've mastered it (it will take some time but I am willing to put the time in seeing as I would love to be able to play along to stuff I like and I don't have that much else to do), I will take on Paramore and the like.

:willy_nilly: