Hayley on New B.O.B. Album

yourenotsam

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"i didn't know you's a producer?

but really... there is hardly an effect on the main vocal in the chorus, if any at all. it's pretty dry. that type of auto-tune you're describing is a "no-no" for me. if the producers of this song wanted that kinda thing, they would've had another singer (perhaps one who can't sing and needs that kind of effect?) on the chorus. "

Yeah, maybe I'm the only one, but I don't hear any autotune on her voice. I think it's just the fact that we're not used to her voice singing over hip-hop and it's slightly more produced than rock songs tend to be. It is pretty dry like she said, actually.

The song's available on iTunes now. Here's the US link if anybody wants to buy it (and if you like it, you should):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/airplanes-feat-hayley-williams/id365840257

Yeah, maybe I'm the only one, but I don't hear any autotune on her voice. I think it's just the fact that we're not used to her voice singing over hip-hop and it's slightly more produced than rock songs tend to be. It is pretty dry like she said, actually.

The song's available on iTunes now. Here's the US link if anybody wants to buy it (and if you like it, you should):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/airplanes-feat-hayley-williams/id365840257

Agreed. I don't hear autotune, and it is more produced since it's a hip hop song as you said. I think that is what is confusing people. And I'm pretty stoked to buy it on iTunes, and I rarely listen to rap. Oh the things Hayley forces me to do! haha

B.o.B is one of my favorite hip-hop/rap artists..... and this song is no exception.

Hayley sounds really good. I was skeptical to be honest about her vocals because I thought she was going to attempt rapping again like on the Set Your Goals album. I'm glad she's just singing. hahaha

I commented on this before listening to it thinking there was some noticeable autotune, but after hearing it and seeing ya'lls debate i can tell you the vocal track is pretty damn dry. There's one basic harmony background and almost no ear candy on the main. Sounds like a simple compressor and maybe a sprinkle of reverb. What you guys are prolly buggin out on is her descending melody on "wish right now". Girls got control over her voice, but we already knew that. =)

In all likelihood it is tuned. But not everyone has played with or seen antares or melodyne used. Almost everything you hear on the radio is tuned, its just that the sensitivity is at an almost impossible to notice level. It has more to do with getting a fuller/more pro sound out of your doubles and harmonies than it does with making up for a poor singer. Vocal takes are kinda like snowflakes, theyre almost never the same. Sometimes this can make harmonies and doubles sound funny, or chorus-d out. To compensate for this you usually see engineers tuning the vocal w/ a light sensitivity to flatten out any slight wavering or minute key problems that by itself in the mix of the song aren't noticeable, but after adding a double or harmony on top might become apparent. In addition, most of the songs you listen to that have 2 voicings at the same time are also using vocal-align, another huge plug-in that takes two vocal takes and conforms the second to the first- making them identical in phrasing. It's fucking nuts, some of the shit studio producers use on a daily basis will blow your mind. But back on topic, once you start decreasing the autotune sensitivity is where you start hearing the t-payne effect. Once you hit zero (maybe even negative, dont remember), you're hearing typane-ismz as you hear it on the radio.

hope i dont come off as a know it all :willy_nilly:, but i spend a lot of time in a hd studio- I actually just got home from a vocal mixing session haha.

teehee, this song is less produced than paramore records! :willy_nilly:

she could have recorded this in her garage.