Question for you all about singles

Harry

I often see in threads people complaining about how they don't want x song to be a single because it will ruin them for them by being over played.

Maybe I'm just fucking weird, but I don't understand the issue you guys have at all.

I just never listen to the radio and I've never had a single issue with a Paramore song being over played and it being "ruined" for me because of it being a single. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a Paramore song played outside in public except for like once at a club.

I remember reading a post along the lines of "Oh man, the one song with integrity (The Only Exception) is gonna be ruined now because of radio air play".

Why is it an issue for you guys, may I ask?

Too difficult to just turn off the radio and listen to something else?

What is it?:???:

*For a second I thought the title was: "...a question for all you singles out there"

Nevertheless, when a song is officially announced as being a single, that means it's going to get airplay. As Paramore fans, we know how good the songs are, and don't mind listening to them over and over. But once these songs hit mainstream radio, if in fact they do become popular singles, they will get overplayed, to the point where non-Paramore fans become sick of that song, and in turn start to hate hearing it.

"Oh man, I can't stand that Paramore song"

It's almost like we want to keep these songs to ourselves and our fanbase, not overexpose the songs to the radio and have to in turn "defend" the song itself.

*For a second I thought the title was: "...a question for all you singles out there"

Nevertheless, when a song is officially announced as being a single, that means it's going to get airplay. As Paramore fans, we know how good the songs are, and don't mind listening to them over and over. But once these songs hit mainstream radio, if in fact they do become popular singles, they will get overplayed, to the point where non-Paramore fans become sick of that song, and in turn start to hate hearing it.

"Oh man, I can't stand that Paramore song"

It's almost like we want to keep these songs to ourselves and our fanbase, not overexpose the songs to the radio and have to in turn "defend" the song itself.

this lmao

anyways, i don't get why people get so mad about singles. I never hear them. maybe it's because they dont want other people to hear it..? i dont know. it's just weird.

Whatever songs they want to release as singles are fine with me. There's only one station around here that plays their songs, and when I actually listen to the radio, I love it when I hear a Paramore song. I usually just listen to my iPod though.

I think people either fear that it will be overplayed and they'll get sick of it (but you're right in that they can change the channel), or that people who aren't huge fans will hear it and come to shows only knowing that one song. Just a guess.

No paramore single has had overplay anyways especially over in the UK, i think a lot of hardcore fans of any band gets a little pissed off when some section of the population only like them for one song. So if you go up to

Example Rock Star by Nickelback that over here was played to death, when it became popular it was constantly on the television and radio and even a few adverts, the song then becomes tedious and when i asked people had they heard of nickelback they were like YEAH which was cool, but they only knew that song.

I've noticed that radio play will only ruin the song for me if it isn't very good in the first place. Take the current post-grunge movement which has taken the airwaves (talking about the rock radio, now)with bands like Creed, I hatehateHATE it! Not at first, mind you, but after the 100th listen when all the flaws start to shine through. It can work the other way for me, too.

Now these guys make my blood boil, but enough has been said about that.

And no, Paramore songs don't fall into the "not very good" -category. :P

Where do you have to hear radio play anyway?

And this :

"remember growing to like one Rihanna song quite a bit after hearing it so many times that I got past the fact that it was from an artist that usually does absolutely nothing for me."

Shameful.

A real man does not like Rihanna's music, ever.

I often see in threads people complaining about how they don't want x song to be a single because it will ruin them for them by being over played.

Maybe I'm just fucking weird, but I don't understand the issue you guys have at all.

I just never listen to the radio and I've never had a single issue with a Paramore song being over played and it being "ruined" for me because of it being a single. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a Paramore song played outside in public except for like once at a club.

I remember reading a post along the lines of "Oh man, the one song with integrity (The Only Exception) is gonna be ruined now because of radio air play".

Why is it an issue for you guys, may I ask?

Too difficult to just turn off the radio and listen to something else?

What is it?:???:

I wonder a lot about the same thing. In fact this friend of mine totally hated the idea of MCR's "Ghost of You" as a single purely because she had sentiment to that song and was her favourite but now is a single and now is a favourite for a lot of people. People are under the idea of a song being exclusive to them. Like a jealous girlfriend. Just because you're cool and cannot understand people having this strange feeling towards a song being a single doesn't mean you or anyone is fucking weird here.

If I'm honest, I've not intentionally listened to a radio station in some years, probably since I was like 14. From that point on, I began to discover the power of the internet for finding new music. Even when I'm in my car I just plug my iPod in, and if I forget that I always keep a couple of CDs as backup. Music television as well, I haven't watched since like I was 16/17. It hit the stage when I was watching it that only one or two channels actually played the genre of music I like, but even then not the bands I like, so I just gave up. So I'm not too fussed if something goes to radio or TV cause I won't see or hear it.

i understand your point.

it does annoy me tho. i rarely listen to the radio but even i'll still hear songs get overplayed.

walk into a store and a songs on, turn on the tv and it's on, drive passed a car and it's on, walk in school or go somewhere and everyone is singing it.

and i'm not just going to walk out of a store or walk away from someone when i hear a certain song

it's not just the radio. i hear the same songs everywhere i go. and yes i have heard paramore songs way too much sometimes.

it's just annoying when you hear something way too much.

thats just the experience i've had with it. i'm not saying i get crazy annoyed with it. it's just a little bother. nothing major tbh

I don't listen to the radio, but I do watch music channels (MTV2/Rocks, Scuzz, NME, Kerrang) For me if a band gets over-played on TV I can lose interest in that band or the song/video getting played.

Brick by Boring Brick was certainly over-played on TV imo and in the end I wouldn't watch it on TV I'd just change the channel. In that case it changed my opinion of the song.

But most of the time music videos or 'songs released as singles' tend to get me to like a song/band more.

I think you all pretty much summed this up. If it goes on the radio, it gets loads of airplay, on pretty much most stations. So wherever you go, it's being played. Of course, us Paramore fans don't mind this. But other people start hating the song, or loving it to the point where it's just annoying. So basically it gets overplayed. Like Weightless by All Time Low. I liked that song, but now I can't stand it becuase it's always being played on the radio, on tv, and people always sing it and quote the lyrics. So I guess people don't really like that to happen to one of their favourite bands songs. Hope that made sense... :rotfl: