Opinions after a year...

the1

If they have signed to them then I hope Warners don't have too much control over their music/direction after all look what they did to MCR :???:

I suggest you go watch LOTMS. The label have very little influence on MCR's music. Fair enough they do with the constant media exposure and stupid merch etc, but they didn't ruin MCR. At least MCR are slightly ambitious in what they do. tbh Paramore are now just another pop act to be thrown in with all the CIWWAF's...

Let's be honest. Misery Business is just shit. It isn't a very deep song. The lyrics are crap compared to songs like Emergency and Franklin. It's just aimed at 12 yr olds!! It makes me sick! lol jkz. But in all seriousness it's just a shame that they've gone all glossy. No rawness or energy!

FBR isn't a "real" label. Look at all the pop garbage they spawn out. They could at least go sign withes more about a real independent label that cares more about music than pin badges. One of FBR's founders left because he saw the direction that the label was headed in. It seems as long as you have youth and melody, FBR will make you big. At least bands like All Time Low aren't over exposed.

Another thing- over exposure. There was a time when I'd get excited when Pmore were in a magazine, but now it's so common that it just isnt interesting. One of the reasons I like A7X so much is cos they don't get over exposed- they are still intruiging. Pmore have been completely worn out by the press.

They are never fuckin in Rocksound! They refuse to do interviews with that mag!!

I've only recently started seeing them on TV and I've been into them for quite a while. Dear God is on alot though. But I hardly ever see proper articles on them, and it's a good thing.

They are never fuckin in Rocksound! They refuse to do interviews with that mag!!

I've only recently started seeing them on TV and I've been into them for quite a while. Dear God is on alot though. But I hardly ever see proper articles on them, and it's a good thing.

Fair enough they are not in rock sound (my mistake) but they are all over the places especially that song with that video where they swing from black to white,

Afterlife? Yeah that's true. With the recent album it's slightly true. But they've been a band since 1999, so it's kinda acceptable!

Plus I meant magazine articles and stuff. Seeing the song all the time isn't such a big deal, but it is annoying when you get excited over articles just to find they say the same thing as the last. e.g. "Paramore is a band!!"

I feel and always felt riot was too poppy. When i heard misery business i hated it. I still don't like it much i just mainly like the drums. They lyrics aren't really all that great on it either. They're not bad or anything but they're nothing special. Some songs do have good one liners for example "somehow everythings gonna fall right into place" I love that line cause i always thought that exact thing even before i heard that song. Another one is "its not faith if your using your eyes". Thats just amazing to me. I think the only song that has really good writing in it all the way through was let the flames begin.

It may seem like im bashing the album pretty bad there but im just being honest and it gets better here.

The music itself though pretty basic is very good. Only problem i have is with the bass, you can't hear it enough except on fences and thats a shame cause Jeremy is really talented. What really puts it away for me is hayleys voice though and i know that kinda sounds like your generic paramore fan saying that but you can't deny that shes probably one of the best vocalists out there today.

all in all i'd give riot about a 7.5 outta 10

im not gonna give an opinion about awkif because i feel the same about it as everyone else does.

I've give that record an 8.5 outta 10.

If paramore really want to blow me away they'll get more experimental and start writing about more diverse topics

i cant see paramore ever wanting to make an album like riot again, i'll put it that way. i think thats what this 'final riot' gubbins is all about - theyre calling an end to an era.

its a great cult album, but little more than that. every track is anthemic, but not as easy to relate to and understand as awnif.

i think their aim for riot was to reach out to people, and get their attention. i think paramore have earned their status, and i cant see them getting any 'bigger'. by no means to i think theyve peaked - i think their success should level out from here on in.QUOTE]

def. i think they were proud of the album. and it was really decent i love it. i also love awkif. however i agree with the statement that it was partly created taht way to gain more popularity. get their name out there etc. the next album should be a compilation of what they've done but with major improvements (ex. new outros/intros, more intense lyrics, more rock) i feel like they are already heading that direction and are going to show everyone who listened to Riot! who they really are, and i don't think that showed as much on riot.

don't get me wrong. i absolutely love the album and can relate to it greatly. but i feel like they are going to do much better in the future.

I agree that her wording and end sentence phrasing is very good; as these are aspects of good melody writing skills. But as far as content.. as much as I love the band.. it's pretty vacant. You don't have to look very far to get my point.

And we've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

We've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

You can't argue with me, that means nothing. It's just a medium to which they instill those catchy "I'm never going to forget this" melodies.. which is all it takes considering we listen to music foremost for the sonic pleasure of it.

However.. I love lyrics that I read and stick with me. Ones that make me stop and think; to which I can smile afterwards because I realize what they're talking about and how creative it was to put it in the way that they did. Take for example any of the new circa lyrics.

If blood is thicker than water then,

You'll drown quicker than we intended,

You'll know where you can find us in the end.

or

The world is a dream,

and nothing is worth it,

Unless you have a God.

His lyrics speak about heavy religious doubt and struggle. Things I can authentically relate to. Delving into substance rich lyrics is one of the most pleasing aspects of music. The last circa phrase quoted can mean so many things to different people.. but getting to know what he is saying and understanding it is something really rewarding. It's the same connection we feel to paramore after reading Hayley's Livejournal entries over the years.. you end up feeling like you know them better.

-------

I waited eight long months,

She finally set him free..

She's got it out for me,

But I wear the biggest smile..

Whoa, I never meant to brag

But, I got him where I want him now.

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag

To steal it all away from you now.

But god does it feel so good,

Cause I got him where I want him now.

And if you could then you know you would.

-------

When I start delving into Hayley's lyrics they usually fall into 2 categories. Either they're A) Too vague to understand what she's saying. Look at Emergency lyrics; until she came out and said they were about domestic issues NO ONE would of been able to guess that. And saying that they're purposefully left open ended so that people can apply their own meaning to it is sugarcoating at its finest. B) There are inconsistencies that deflate the songs potency. In Misery Business she talks about a girl using her sexual power to manipulate those around her, in this case a boy Hayley likes [im being very blunt]. So what does Hayley do about it? As far as we know, nothing. She waits "Eight months" for her to "Set him free". I take that as a literal meaning of them breaking up. After waiting for this certain period of time, she gets with this guy, and this for some unknown reason makes this girl jealous. This was her lyrical intention but it makes no sense. Why would this girl care for a guy she "set free"? "Steal[ing] it all away from you now" would entail that she actually stole the guy from her, but due to the vague misleading lyrics in the verse, the listener is told that Hayley simply waited for them to be done.. doesn't sound like stealing to me. I'm sure the actual account of the story is full of fights and tears and anger.. all things that could have created a vivid image. But she fails to word it in a manner that is fluid and easy to understand.

But hey, we all sing along anyway.

ok they even said "whoa" was for the live show and how fun it would be. and it is. josh even said it sounded cheesy at first

there lyrics arent super hard to under stand. there feelings that can be interpreted in many ways. wich i like. instead of lyrics that seriously make no sense unless you sit there for awhile and try to connect with them..

i caught on that emergency was about her parents. maybe cuase i related to that. but i thought it was obvious. but it could also be about a relation ship.

they can relate in many differnt ways. thats wat i like about paramore

• Like 1

I love Riot! It's a great album. But AWKIF is what made me fall in love with Paramore. I'm not upset about their fame and success. We all knew it would happen eventually, I just hope it doesn't start to change who they are, as people, and as a band. I think they're too grounded for that though. But Overall a year later, I'm still just as impressed, although I like AWKIF better, I love Riot! Just the Same, and I still love Paramore just the same, only maybe more. :D

As for the lyrics thing, I love their lyrics. I think they're pretty simply understood as well. That's what I love about them. And I knew what Emergency was about, you can tell. Lyrics don't have to be complex and have big wording to mean something.

Yeah, with Riot I feel like "man this is a long album" and then I compare it to AWKIF and they're practically the same length. But I feel with AWKIF when I listen to it, I'm like "what? it's finished already? I want more!". I can listen to AWKIF from start to finish easy, but with Riot, it's more difficult.

And Trevor, you brought something to my attention there that to be honest I never noticed. Enjoying the debate guys (y)

omg! i just realized that i felt that way when i read your post!

again. i absolutely love that album, fave band etc...

also, i believe that most of the lyrics are deep. Hayley in general writes about real things so taht automatically makes people connect to them. so what if they're vague? that just makes room for interpretation, which i'm all for. Music is supposed to speak to you like that. and also, who cares if they have a few songs (whoa) that don't truely have a meaning. sometimes you just gotta let loose in some songs. it doesn't all have to be serious.

i could rant forever. my opinion is that both albums are good in their own way. they both achieved their purpose and there are somethings i like some i don't but that's the same with everyone...don't know what else to say so imma end.

I agree that her wording and end sentence phrasing is very good; as these are aspects of good melody writing skills. But as far as content.. as much as I love the band.. it's pretty vacant. You don't have to look very far to get my point.

And we've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

We've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

However.. I love lyrics that I read and stick with me. Ones that make me stop and think; to which I can smile afterwards because I realize what they're talking about and how creative it was to put it in the way that they did. Take for example any of the new circa lyrics.

You'll drown quicker than we intended,

You'll know where you can find us in the end.

or

The world is a dream,

and nothing is worth it,

Unless you have a God.

His lyrics speak about heavy religious doubt and struggle. Things I can authentically relate to. Delving into substance rich lyrics is one of the most pleasing aspects of music. The last circa phrase quoted can mean so many things to different people.. but getting to know what he is saying and understanding it is something really rewarding. It's the same connection we feel to paramore after reading Hayley's Livejournal entries over the years.. you end up feeling like you know them better.

-------

But hey, we all sing along anyway.

You know, I actually REALLY agree with you on this. I've realized that there are actually only a few Paramore songs that I actually get a feeling/"connection" with. I think so far a lot of it has been the sound and the energy, and I'd definitely love to see more depth in the lyrics in the future.

Also, half of the reason I wanted to respond to this was the fact that you quoted Circa Survive lyrics. I think all of their lyrics are great, but On Letting Go was amazing. And I definitely understand the idea of certain phrases that, in context, convey a specific message, but can still be applied to a lot of different situations. While I don't write lyrics, when I do write, that's what I really like to go for, because I love analyzing that kind of stuff.

Basically, I completely agree with you.

I kind of have a different view of this subject than most of the fans on this thread because I have only been a fan for a couple of months and the first paramore music I heard was from riot and then listened to awkif later. Just like everyone else on this board i think both records are amazing. Although both records are very different, they both are great in their own respects. I know it is probably hard for the fans that have been with paramore since the begining to get into riot as much as they did awkif because the cds are very different and they want another cd like the first one, they want the same band that they fell in love with. The fact is that every band changes at some point in time. They try to do different things from the last record and grow as a band. I think they did a lot of great things on riot and if they use what they have learned from there two records I think their next record will be even better. As a fan that has recently gotten into paramore i am grateful to riot because i would never have gotten to listen to awkif. Even though I appreciate riot, I definately agree with a lot of you that awkif is the better record. I just think the songs were more raw and heartfelt. It was a great mixture of rockin songs with beautiful songs and is just such a great cd. I don't want to say riot was too "mainstream" because it really doesn't matter as long as they are good songs but it was obviously meant to reach a bigger audience and try to appeal to more people than the first album and you can't blame the band for trying to increase the fanbase. I think most of the songs off the riot album were very good they were just more poppy than the first album. The only song that really gets to me is fences cause it just sounds like a lot of the other bands on their label and doesn't sound like paramore to me, besides that i think the record is great it is just a different side of paramore. I just hope the band stays true to their roots and just puts out good songs in the future, but it is obviously is very important that you please the fans that have been there from the begining and made them what they are.

Well, really, I love both albums. But I like Riot! more just because I can understand it better and is more to my liking. I prefer pop-ish albums. That's why I like Fall Out Boy's later albums - FUTCT and Infinty on High. =/

I prefer lyrics that are simple and straight to the point...

Ehhh, it's my opinion, suck it. xD

Plus I'm addicted to crushcrushcrush, I can completely relate to it. Yes, that's another thing, I can relate to Riot! more....For A Pessimist is another brilliant example.

"I put my faith in you, so much faith and then you just threw it away"

And When it Rains, BRILLIANT. Someone who's turning away and ignoring everyone who cares about them the most when that person needs their help. There's someone I know who's done that...so I can relate to that as well.

"And when it rains, you always find an escape, just running away, from all of the ones who love you, from everything..." etc.

I suggest you go watch LOTMS. The label have very little influence on MCR's music. Fair enough they do with the constant media exposure and stupid merch etc, but they didn't ruin MCR. At least MCR are slightly ambitious in what they do. tbh Paramore are now just another pop act to be thrown in with all the CIWWAF's...

Let's be honest. Misery Business is just shit. It isn't a very deep song. The lyrics are crap compared to songs like Emergency and Franklin. It's just aimed at 12 yr olds!! It makes me sick! lol jkz. But in all seriousness it's just a shame that they've gone all glossy. No rawness or energy!

FBR isn't a "real" label. Look at all the pop garbage they spawn out. They could at least go sign withes more about a real independent label that cares more about music than pin badges. One of FBR's founders left because he saw the direction that the label was headed in. It seems as long as you have youth and melody, FBR will make you big. At least bands like All Time Low aren't over exposed.

Another thing- over exposure. There was a time when I'd get excited when Pmore were in a magazine, but now it's so common that it just isnt interesting. One of the reasons I like A7X so much is cos they don't get over exposed- they are still intruiging. Pmore have been completely worn out by the press.

two corrections, all time low isnt an FBR band

and FBR does have one amazing-thank-god-theyre-not-famous-band known as The Hush Sound.

but i do agree with somethings you said.

this debate is geting real old really fast

omg! i just realized that i felt that way when i read your post!

again. i absolutely love that album, fave band etc...

also, i believe that most of the lyrics are deep. Hayley in general writes about real things so taht automatically makes people connect to them. so what if they're vague? that just makes room for interpretation, which i'm all for. Music is supposed to speak to you like that. and also, who cares if they have a few songs (whoa) that don't truely have a meaning. sometimes you just gotta let loose in some songs. it doesn't all have to be serious.

i could rant forever. my opinion is that both albums are good in their own way. they both achieved their purpose and there are somethings i like some i don't but that's the same with everyone...don't know what else to say so imma end.

I wouldnt say the lyrics are vague at all, just simple which isnt a bad thing but i just wish they were deeper but i guess when your other favorite bands are brand new, say anything, jimmy eat world, and manchester orchestra you get used to those really complex lyrics and start to enjoy deciphering them too much. With paramore there isnt much to decipher in the lyrics (for me anyway)

To be honest now i love awkif & riot both as much as the other.

I like them both for different reasons; i love awkif because its pure and honest & is why i love paramore & i love riot because its full of energy and attitude.

I did think after the whole massive success of riot id drift from loving paramore but i havent, i love them as much as ever and every time i see them live i remember why.

Im looking forward to the next album & im sure ill love it just as much =D

I wouldnt say the lyrics are vague at all, just simple which isnt a bad thing but i just wish they were deeper but i guess when your other favorite bands are brand new, say anything, jimmy eat world, and manchester orchestra you get used to those really complex lyrics and start to enjoy deciphering them too much. With paramore there isnt much to decipher in the lyrics (for me anyway)

lol yeah. the vague parts i was responding to something another member said about emergency. like they said that they would have never known it was about her parents or something until she said it? yeah i thought hayley wrote it like that so more people could relate to it. do you get what i'm saying?

lol yeah. the vague parts i was responding to something another member said about emergency. like they said that they would have never known it was about her parents or something until she said it? yeah i thought hayley wrote it like that so more people could relate to it. do you get what i'm saying?

I highly doubt that she purposefully left it open ended so that listeners could relate to it. They barely had any fans to worry about when they recorded that album, and she was what... 15, when she wrote this? You guys do realize that the lyrics are basic for a reason, and that reason is NOT intention. I'm positive she would write more in depth lyrics if she were capable, as proven by the step up in vernacular on Riot.

I love paramore just as much as the next board member.. but arguing that the lyrics were left vaguely open ended for a reason is just blindly defending the band. It's okay to realize she was only a kid... it'll get better. Aside from your given genius (Which when concerning melody writing Hayley DEFINITELY is), nobody was producing Grade A lyrical product two years after puberty.