What are you going to do with your life?

SalsaC

So here it is. This is the thread to pour your heart out. Share your futures, your plans, your dreams, your lives.

I'll start with this. I'm at a crossroads of my life. After graduating from senior high school in summer '07, I applied to a finnish university of technology and got in. That was the place I had always had in mind, so it was a natural direction after graduation. This was two years ago.

As some of you might know, in Finland, every young man aged around 19 is trained to be a soldier, there is no professional army per se. Military service takes six months usually, sometimes 9 or 12 months. So I had to do it sooner or later, so I figured, why not do it right away. And so I joined the army in January '08. I was supposed to get out six months later, in summer '08 so that I could start my studies at the university right away. Well, that was not what the world had in mind for me...

Our unit's captain saw something in me, so he forced me into the squad leader training program, which turned my service time into 12 months. You can't get out of the program once you are in, so I was pretty much f00ked.

Well, this decision (not mine :D) definitely changed me in a lot of ways. Squad leader training was taxing for both the body and the mind. We were trained to lead a squad under inhuman conditions. Under extreme pressure, hunger and exhaustion, with no sleep for days. It all made me think about myself and my decisions a lot more, maybe even think for myself for a change.:shifty:

I started to realize how I did not have any interest whatsoever towards physics or mathematics, or science in general. I finished my service with

flying colors January 2009. But that was not the end of my military career.

The schools were starting at the end of the summer, so I had about six months before that, and I had to think about what should I do. That's when I made the decision to stay in the army as a drill sergeant. I made a six month contract, and that's what I'm doing right now.

So now we get to the crossroads... I have basically three options:

1. Study at the land warfare school for a year, and work in the army for the rest of my life. Not a bad option, I noticed how rewarding it is to train new people in stuff they have no idea about. Some trainers are keen advocates of the medieval way of shouting and screaming their lungs out, and I admit, I got my share of that too, but there are also those who know that there is the more effective way of taking your time with your students, patiently teaching everyone, and trying to think from their perspective. The latter is what I do, and like I said, it's very rewarding.

2. University of technology. This is basically ruled out by now. I realized that this is not what I want from my life, so I probably won't be going there.

3. Musical education at the university. This is something that I have always dreamed of, since music has been my number one passion for pretty much my entire life, but I only started considering this as serious option a few months ago. I realize that I need a lot of work to get in, but this is the only place in my life where I have the chance to make music the center of my life for the rest of my days as well, so definitely a dream worth pursuing!

This is a hard time. I've come to realize how light-heartedly I have been choosing my future so far, and now I'm right at the edge of where I have to make the final decision, for good.

Don't be intimidated by that pile of junk above^, what I'm hoping to get out of you guys is a little glimpse of your thoughts for your own future, maybe I will even get someone to start thinking about it seriously for the first time ever. Some of you are much older than me, so out of you, I'd like to hear how you ended up in your current career, and is it what you always dreamed of, or not.

Don't think that it should fill up your monitor like mine did, I just felt the need for this, therapeutic perhaps? Kind of like a diary I guess. It's easy to open up to total strangers. ;-) Just explore your mind a bit, and write whatever comes up, no matter how much of the stuff there is.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JadeIsRad

Deciding what to do after your education is confusing

I have no idea what I am going to do after university! Hopefully something to do with History or Religious Education or Psychology but I'm not sure :/

The future scares me haha

I've still got no idea. I achieved more in school than I ever aimed to do, so thankfully leaving school at 16 isn't a regret, even though I thought it would be. I want to do something I enjoy, something that I don't mind getting up everyday for, something I can dedicate my life to and put everything I have into. Using skills is also important to me, I don't want a job where I don't need any, I worked too hard for that.

I'm really interested in law for some reason. But I can't see where I'd go with a law degree. I'd rather be a lawyer behind the scenes, rather than talking in court, if you get it.

I'm also interested in working for a magazine, like journalism.

And business. I'd really like to do a Music Business course to qualify me to work in a record label managing artists in the business side of things =]

And of course dancing, no matter what I do in life, I'm gonna fit it around dance, its my passion, and nothings gonna stop me =]

Wheeee I rambled a bit there :P

Well as a youngster i wanted to be a football player, i played fpr years, i thought id maybe make it, untill i badly fell one day, my knee had twisted and well, i cant run about for long anymore cause it gets sore, gutted isnt the word.

So now? well, my second love in life. Animals. I have a dream of working with animals, to look after them, save their lifes. To have that feeling of knowing, i saved an animals life, it my goal, my dream, and i want to achieve that.

And im starting that this summer, by going to college and doing the NQ for Biomedical Sciences, then pass that,do the HNC for 2 years, and then do the HND for a further 1 year, and then i'll jump onto uni and study Zoology,

i am determined to achieve it, and i have it in me to do it, i have the motivation

where it all takes me? well, should i end up working in a vets, wildlife park, or even Africa

if i can aspire, to save animals lifes, then i'll go wherever it takes me.

Well, all I know right now is that I'm going to college for music business. I want to be a band manager and I can get the stuff I need to know so I can do that at the college I'll be attending, but after that I have no idea exactly where my life is going to go. Hopefully I'll get connected with a really sweet band and tour with them for a few years as a tour manager before setting down with an awesome guy. After being a tour manager I want to be a portrait photographer, but who knows if thats going to happen.

Life is very spontaneous, you never know exactly where you're going to go.

to cut a long story short ('cause no fool would bother reading the long one, right?) all ive ever wanted to be a is a journalist. sadly, i am part of the real world where youve got to be damn good and determined to make such a career worth while.

at the minute, im pondering broadening my spectrum a bit - i quite like the idea of doing broadcasting (or something to that effect) at university. i havent totally ruled out something more english-y either.

The future freaks me out.

I'm going to uni, but possibly taking a gap year first. I haven't figured out what I'd be doing yet though.

Tell me about it!

I'm scared to death about starting a new chapter of my life with college and all. I'm so afraid to be on my own.

i haven't really decided what i want to do.

i do know i want to go to college. i'd love to do something with music, but i'm not sure what. anything from working for a record label to playing in a pymphony or orchestra. i also love fashion so part of me wants to do something with that to.

i really have no idea.