Swine Flu could be a pandemic

travel_hymn

Four cases of swine flu have now been reported in Ontario, bringing the total number of Canadian cases to 13. All of the Ontario cases were found in the Toronto area and have been linked to Mexican travel. The province's chief medical officer of health said that the illnesses so far appear to be mild.

"It's like flu season continuing," said Dr. David Williams at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, health authorities in Alberta confirmed two mild cases in the province: one in Calgary and the other in the northern part of the province.

Dr. Andre Corriveau said both patients were men who contracted the virus during recent travel to Mexico. Neither man's illness was severe enough that he had to be hospitalized.

i'm not 100% sure why i shared that, but i did

So, the USA had it's first death due to swine flu...what makes this influenza special, apparently, is that it kills young, healthy adults as opposed to the more regular types of influenzas that only kill children and elderly people. Maybe that's a result of the unusual genetic sequences that the virus is made of. It's made of many different types of influenzas which COULD result in the virus bypassing most of the immunities that we have developed over the generations by being constantly exposed to different viruses.

I'm not worried, though. The international community has taken action and I'm pretty sure that they can prevent the flu from mutating, multiplying and escalating into a pandemic.

Want to know something cool? A friend of mine went to Mexico for spring break the week before last and came back sick. UNCLEAN.

Anyone know what the incubation period of the flu is?

So, the USA had it's first death due to swine flu...what makes this influenza special, apparently, is that it kills young, healthy adults as opposed to the more regular types of influenzas that only kill children and elderly people. Maybe that's a result of the unusual genetic sequences that the virus is made of. It's made of many different types of influenzas which COULD result in the virus bypassing most of the immunities that we have developed over the generations by being constantly exposed to different viruses.

I'm not worried, though. The international community has taken action and I'm pretty sure that they can prevent the flu from mutating, multiplying and escalating into a pandemic.

The death was of an infant around twenty-three months old whose parents brought him over from Mexico to try and get him medical treatment for his Swine Flu. So although his death took place here in America, he'd come straight from Mexico.

May God be with his family and with him in Heaven.

No idea, but I saw in the news that it's pretty long. And that's one of the things that worry me most. The incubation time is what lets the disease slip by around the world unnoticed since you don't experience the symptoms until long after you've been exposed, and possibly affected, with it. :/

You know you've probably scared half the people on this forum with that post :lol:

I heard some kid died in America, who was a toddler. Which of course doesn't bother me, not cause I'm a bastard lol but because the only people who have died are: Mexicans and a small child. It's not the end of the world :roll:

No idea, but I saw in the news that it's pretty long. And that's one of the things that worry me most. The incubation time is what lets the disease slip by around the world unnoticed since you don't experience the symptoms until long after you've been exposed, and possibly affected, with it. :/

Oh boy. So basically the virus goes through a lysogenic cycle?

At this point anyone who thinks people are freaking out is just retarded. It's actually close to becoming a pandemic now. Now I'm really scared. There's someone who's like, half an hour away from me who has it. Their school closed down.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

But, many Americans are stupid, and they don't listen. How many fucking times will THIS be repeated:

CDC for days has said people with flulike symptoms should stay home — but now also is stressing that other family members should consider staying home or at least limiting how much they go out until they're sure they didn't catch it.

My so-called 'friends' said they'd come to school if they had a flu. FUCK THEM.

You shouldn't call Americans stupid because honestly, that's ignorant in itself. We're not the only ones who insist upon going to work or school despite being sick. No one should ever put down the people of their own country.

The borders need to be shut down, no questions asked. Mexico's got to control what's going on over there and we need to prevent it from growing even more over here. There is common sense in tighter border controls. And while yes, the thought of contracting Swine Flu is a scary one indeed, there's no need to cause a mass hysteria over it and I think that's partly contributing to this madness. We've got to think about exactly what kind of health care Mexico is able to provide for its citizens and if that's a contributing factor to the deaths. The infant whose parents brought him over from Mexico, seeking medical treatment for his Swine Flu, they obviously wanted better care than what they thought could be given to him in their homeland.

Be cautious, yes, and definitely wash your hands on a constant basis (which is what humans are supposed to do anyway...) and be germ-conscious; but for Heaven's sake, let's not start a mass hysteria over this--that's how problems go unsolved.

You're in Wales. I'm in America. It's worse here. And there's someone half an hour away from me who has it and their school has SHUT DOWN.

How am I over-reacting, I've told you, people here are dumb and they think it's okay to spread their infection.

Sarcasm ;-)

There's more of a threat in America yeah, but people have said to just be hygenic and use common sense, just cause someone has it doesn't mean they're gonna die, the treatment in America is far better medically than in Mexico.

And everyone over-reacts to a certain extent. People love to panic and complain. That's life 8-)

I suppose overreacting is still better than doing nothing in a situation like this :) Especially after there have been isolated cases of an infection outside of Mexico, which means that it can potentially pop up anywhere in the world and that the problem isn't solved by isolating Mexico from the rest of the world!