First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

Oooh review time, not that anyone is interested in my opinions of the album :P

Careful - I love this song as an opener to the album. It's good proper paramore sounding, and it's painfully catchy it's been in my head since I heard it. The music is awesome and so are the vocals and lyrics. It's such a big sound and it's sort of RIOT-y in sound but you can tell it's a development, sort of like a transition between RIOT! and brand new eyes. 10/10

Ignorance - I still enjoy listening to Ignorance and I have a great deal of respect for it because as it's told alot it is the song that saved paramore. I love the aggression and darkness. I think it was a perfect first single and it represents the album very well! 9/10

Playing God - Lyrically amazing! I think the message in this song is great, again filled with lots of built up aggression and anger. I don't know why people were disappointed because it wasn't heavy enough. I think it's well done in the typical paramore fashion, meaningful but in a up-beat sort of way. 9/10

Brick By Boring Brick - The idea behind this song is really a good one. I think it's captured perfectly through the lyrics. Again another very catchy number. Musically it's delicious and I really can't get enough of it. The "Ba da ba ba da ba da" bits are awesome, especially at the end. I've not heard it that much (as with all the songs so far, as I only got the album yesterday) but it really fits in as a classic paramore song. I think it will totally rock live and I'd love to see a video for this if they chose it as a single. 10/10

Turn It Off - At first listen and second listen I couldn't really get into this one but after a couple more listens it is starting to grow on me. I love the lyrics in the chorus. I was thinking it should be a little more up tempo but it has grown on me a little more. 7/10

The Only Exception - I think its a really sweet song but there isn't a great deal to it. It's a lovely song but it doesn't stand out on the album. I do like that they included an acoustic track (or two) 6/10

Feeling Sorry - I do quite like this track but again it's not the best. The chorus is good and the verses are alright. The guitars are pretty good and the lyrics are great. So I guess it's not a terrible song but there's something I can't put my finger on what's wrong with it :P7/10

Looking Up - It's definitely one of my favourites off the album! It's so catchy and I love how it reflects the good times and how they've pulled out of the bad times! It's so positive and the end part "I can't believe we almost hung it up Whoa oa oh! We're just getting started Whoa oa oh" reminds me so much of a good old song like "Whoa" from All we know is falling! It's pure unadulterated paramore! 10/10

Where The Lines Overlap - You can just tell from listening to this song how close they all are as a band now. I love being able to hear that in a song. As Hayley said on that 4play thingy it's a really simple song but it's so powerful! I thought I'd prefer the acoustic version of this song but I just love after "Where the lines overlap..." and then the whole sound of the chorus hits you, it's incredible! Another one of my favourites and it'd be a good single choice too I think. It's at the oposite end of the spectrum to Ignorance so it would show great contrast. 9/10

Misguided Ghosts - To me it's still a weird thing to hear in a paramore album. It is really well done musically and lyrically and the softness in Hayley's voice is really awesome. I don't think it's a step the band should pursue in a hurry. It's not really them but it does kind of work. Still need to get used to it I think. 6/10

All I Wanted - OMG this song! I think it's so amazing. Hayley's voice is the best it's ever been. I can't stop shivvering when I hear the chorus. It's really loud and powerful, a great way to end the album. The music and lyrics are great, but I feel as though there should be a bridge and then a final chorus. It's a decent length for a song but I feel like it ends abruptly which is the only reason I give it a 9/10

Overall - It has it's down sides (very few) but in my opinion it is Paramore's best album, you can tell how much they worked on it and it is alot more grown up. They'll have a hard time following this up in their next album! I can't imagine them getting any better than this! The whole album is experimental but not in a stupid way. It's everything it needs to be and I think there is no harm in trying new things. The message of the album is so much more clear than in All we know. or Riot. This is my favourite album ever I think! I'm giving it 10/10 I know I said there were a couple of things wrong with it but that's nothing compared to how amazing it is!

I'm not gonna rate each song individually, 'cause I'm feeling lazy :P But I think this is their best album, there're songs that, IMO are weaker than others e.g The Only Exception, Looking Up, Misguided Ghosts. But apart from those tracks I find it to be a very solid album. When I finally got it from iTunes Friday, I shut myself in my room to listen to it with no interruptions, and as the album progressed I kept thinking, wow this is such a good album, yet there hasn't been a song that's just BAM, really hit me, yunno?! But then, All I Wanted started and woah, Hayley's vocals are all kinds of amazing!! Chills!!!

I've listened to it quite a lot now, and I find I'm loving the songs more and more each time!

Careful: Boring opener with some dodgy lyrics and vocals. 2/10

Ignorance: It's alright for showing off what the band can do but lacks any substance realy 4/10

Playing God: Best song on the album with a nice chorus and feel to it 6/10

Brick by Boring Brick: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 0/10

Turn it off: Average at best and I hate her vocals on the track. 2/10

The Only Exception: Don't like the feel of the song or what she does with her voice and it could have been something more than it is. Has potential to be a grower 3/10

Feeling Sorry: Quite a decent song, some nice vocal work and a poppy song.....it's ok this one 5/10

Looking Up: See the previous song. 5/10

Where the Lines Overlap: Irritates the hell out of me especially that chorus. Probably be better live though. 3/10

Misguided Ghosts: Filler and could have been left off the album really. 0/10

All I Wanted: Not sure of the guitar work or her vocals. A bit wishy washy really. 4/10

Not the best album but the songs do have the potential to work live. She really needs to work on her lyrics/vocals as the "mature" attempt doesn't work. The instruments are well basic like you have grown to expect from Paramore (but that's not a bad thing) Overall average at best 4/10

Well in all fairness in the world of 4/4 time signature rock and roll, there is probably thousands of songs that have melodies that are virtually the same as other songs.

Doesn't have help you've only got 12 notes in Western music either and only so many chord progressions before we find we are using the same ones as artists that have become before us:wink:

I've got plenty of stuff on on my iTunes list which is extremely out there (avant garde, various extreme metal bands, jazz fusion, contemporary classical etc) and sometimes quite innovative and pushing the boundaries of music too.

Probably the only thing I've found boundary pushing is the audio engineering aspect of the production of this album (BNE and Riot!) and nothing really that different in the actual musical realm of things.

So ultimately I just take it for what it is, which IMHO is some amazing well written, super catchy, very addictive and ultimately very emotional music.

Sure I agree. It's just the first thing I was thinking of was that exact band. Most of these teen bands sound the same and are of course inspired by each other. And agree with your last lines, it wasn't a criticism of the band as so, just a comment.

I really like it, my fav track has to be careful great tune to start off the album. The lyrics for the majority of the songs are good, i still need to get my head round misguided ghost, i will be unhappy if they play that in december. All I wanted is amazing.

The vocals from hayley are epic.

as ive said before, this seems like hayleys album. its from her perspective, lyrically.

Well, Taylor is credited with writing most of the songs too, and no single song is written purely by Hayley.

I think you're being a saying it might as well have been a solo album, I very much doubt Hayley would have been able to piece all these guitar parts and what not herself.

Well, Taylor is credited with writing most of the songs too, and no single song is written purely by Hayley.

I think you're being a saying it might as well have been a solo album, I very much doubt Hayley would have been able to piece all these guitar parts and what not herself.

If you're gonna be like that, then it's Hayley + Josh's album, Taylor's only credited with writing three of the songs. I get what Babs is saying too.

^^ Yeah. That's what I thought. But I'm pretty sure Hayley won't take that step. They're all in it together and I think this album proves that more than anything. For me anyway

its not like saying they'll be a solo album within the forseable future, im just sure its bound to happen one day. im not implying that paramore will have to over for it to happen either.