First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

After listening to the album virtually non-stop since last Thursday, I'm ready to give an in-depth verdict.

Careful

I think this song establishes the general feeling of the album well. It's an agressive track, and while it's really only an average track, it's upbeat and a good way to begin the album

7/10

Ignorance

I never really loved this track. I always thought it was trying to be what Misery Business was for Riot. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, and I do agree why it's the first single, but it's just not up to scratch for a first single. That said, it's a catchy tune and I do listen to it a lot.

8/10

Playing God

Took me ages to get to like this song. Just seemed like a filler on the first few listens. The lyrics seem kind of repititive, and nothing here really stands out as being memorable. Certainly not the type of song that would get stuck in my head.

5/10

Brick By Boring Brick

A stand out track on the album, and my personal favourite. Loved it from the first couple of listens. Love the lyrics, even if they are slightly poppy. I tend to prefer the verses to the choruses. The "Ba da ba" parts really stand out, especially the ones at the end where the guys join in. I feel like this song really shows their new sound, I couldn't see this comfortably being on Riot or AWKIF at all.

10/10

Turn It Off

Catchy tune. Not perfect, but catchy. Great chorus. I could see this potentially becoming a single.

9/10

The Only Exception

Great opening, then gets horribly repetitive. The impressive bridge saves the song.

6/10

Feeling Sorry

Average track. Standout chorus.

5/10

Looking Up

I like this song a lot. Once again, the bridge stands out, and turns the track from good to great.

8/10

Where The Lines Overlap

Contender for best track on the album. Definitely one of my favourites easily. It's upbeat and fun, and one of the few songs that speaks about the band as a whole as opposed to Hayley alone.

9/10

Misguided Ghosts

Another average track. Better than the slow offerings on Riot.

6/10

All I Wanted

I like this song for the single reason that it showcases Hayley's talents beautifully. I love AWKIF's Conspiracy for the same reason. Apart from her amazing vocals, there isn't much else to this track that makes it memorable.

6/10

Overall: 7/10

Slightly better than Riot, nowhere near as good as AWKIF. I'm a little disappointed with this record if I'm being perfectly honest, but then again, after hearing BBBB, and to a lesser extent, Ignorance, I was expecting something amazing.