What does "old" Paramore mean?

PlzSpeakSoftly

feel free to move/lock this thread if necessary...

This has just been something I've been thinking about more and more often. When I look at newer or older videos of Paramore online people keep saying "I miss the old Paramore" and it confuses me. My personal opinion is that they are the exact same people, just more mature. Just because they don't always rock out as hard as they use to, dosen't mean they aren't into it anymore or that they aren't the same. Now more than ever I'm seeing so much more heart and passion in their live performances. Each member always gets into it in their own way. Just a look on their face or when they close their eyes and just feel the music, that's what it is all about. They aren't 17/18 year olds anymore. They may not feel the need to jump around and headbang all the time. Paramore is still the same sweet, genuine, down to earth people. Alot of bands that reach that amount of fame don't even care about fans anymore. I honestly don't think I could ever describe how much I love Paramore for keeping in touch and updating us on their lives. I feel like I've left out so much stuff that I wanted to say, but I will probably post more as time goes on.

So what are yalls views/opinions about this? Anyone feel the same or noticed people posting comments like that?

I saw Paramore last night.

Jeremy and Hayley were going fucking nuts, seriously. Jeremy even did the crazy flip thing over Taylor when they played Pressure.

Taylor and Justin were a bit more restrained, but they have heaps of stage presence anyway, so it was still cool anyway

Well, Taylor, a lot of the people of YouTube that comment on videos have no brain, I've come to realize.

But I do get what you're saying, they are the same people (minus the fact that they did get a new member). But another thing they could mean is that each album they released was something different. The first album was more along the lines of post-hardcore/pop and Riot! was more on the "popish" side and their new album was something complete different and more mature. So of course I'm rephrasing some of what you said, but you understand what I mean by people saying the "old Paramore".

I feel the exact same way as you. They may not all be running around the stage like crazy anymore (except for, as Harry mentioned, Hayley and Jeremy), but you can still see they have a ridiculous amount of passion for what they do, and that's the best part about seeing them live.

As for them as people, they've grown up considerably since I first met them in 2007, but they're still some of the most genuine people I've ever met.

If this is the "new" Paramore, then I'm completely cool with it.

Well, Taylor, a lot of the people of YouTube that comment on videos have no brain, I've come to realize.

But I do get what you're saying, they are the same people (minus the fact that they did get a new member). But another thing they could mean is that each album they released was something different. The first album was more along the lines of post-hardcore/pop and Riot! was more on the "popish" side and their new album was something complete different and more mature. So of course I'm rephrasing some of what you said, but you understand what I mean by people saying the "old Paramore".

Hmm not quite hearing the post hardcore in AWKIF to be honest.

If anything post hardcore and pop are 2 genres very much at odds with each other.

Sure, all their albums have elements of the genre, but to outright label one of their albums as being partly post hardcore is maybe stretching it a bit.

AWKIF had some screaming on My Heart, but that was it, and post hardcore usually features A LOT more screaming than just one song.

Riot! was a strange album in that aesthetically it's more pop and the production is more commercial sounding but ironically from a musical standpoint it's more dense and complex and generally the material is more difficult to play.

Some people say Brand New Eyes is even more poppy than Riot!, but again, even more difficult to play songs on average and generally more dense and layered music.

I feel the exact same way as you. They may not all be running around the stage like crazy anymore (except for, as Harry mentioned, Hayley and Jeremy), but you can still see they have a ridiculous amount of passion for what they do, and that's the best part about seeing them live.

As for them as people, they've grown up considerably since I first met them in 2007, but they're still some of the most genuine people I've ever met.

If this is the "new" Paramore, then I'm completely cool with it.

I've never met the band, but Hayley was an absolute character on stage last night and while the band had a rather assertive stance on stage with a lot of presence, they never came across as overbearing or arrogant in anyway, which is of course true for their personalities.

Even though Taylor and Justin were restrained somewhat (especially compared to the guitarists from You Me at Six who opened for Paramore, who were going totally fucking nuts), they still put their heart and soul into last night's performance and I could hear it in the way they played.

^ Taylor usually goes pretty crazy on stage cause he's finally starting to get comfortable enough to jump around and play, but I think right now he's just focused on getting all the lead guitar parts right, since he's not used to playing them. I haven't seen much of Justin though. I think he's purposely hanging out in the background cause he's just filling in, but I'd love to see him right up front with the rest of them.

Also when I found out that their sound guy sets up mics to pick up the audience cause Hayley likes to be able to hear them in her in-ears, that just made my respect for Paramore go through the roof.

^ Taylor usually goes pretty crazy on stage cause he's finally starting to get comfortable enough to jump around and play, but I think right now he's just focused on getting all the lead guitar parts right, since he's not used to playing them. I haven't seen much of Justin though. I think he's purposely hanging out in the background cause he's just filling in, but I'd love to see him right up front with the rest of them.

Also when I found out that their sound guy sets up mics to pick up the audience cause Hayley likes to be able to hear them in her in-ears, that just made my respect for Paramore go through the roof.

i agree. when i saw them in Manchester Taylor was going crazy with Hayley and Jeremy. I would like to see Justin to be up front with the rest of them aswell.

There's no old or new Paramore. They're still the same,it's not like somebody left and has been replaced and the band has totally changed their style and stuff.(I'm not talking about Josh here,that's something temporary). And I think that when people say "I miss the old Paramore" they reffer to their music. Come on,let's say that Paramore will be a band until 2015,nah. They won't be rocking out on Misery business,for example,as they used to when they were 19-20. They need other songs,more... mature songs? I don't know,you just realise some things when you grow up. You try to get rid of the "childish things". And you need a bit of a change.

And if they're talking about Hayley's style... Well,it's obvious she won't wear jeans and t-shirts all of her life and she won't stick to just one style.

I don't know if this makes sense. But I tried,haha.

i don't get why people get all offended when someone mentions 'old paramore'

older fans have every right to be nostalgic

why do people always jump on us for missing something?

to me the difference between 'old' paramore and 'new' paramore has nothing to do with them as people (as most people assume) it's about their look and their sound and their attitude

you can't say those things were the same in 2006 as they are today

they've changed a lot as a band and i don't think there's anything wrong with missing an older sound/look/attitude

^ if you are referring to me, b/c i posted this and you are saying i'm getting offended when someone uses the term "old fan", that was not the intention of this thread at all. i'm an old fan too. i hate saying that because i think every fan is different and unique and can have the same amount of love for paramore as i do, even if they just found out about them today. don't get me wrong, i'm so stoked i got to watch them change and grow. like i've mentioned many times, they are the first bad i fell in love with. they are the first band i've known since the beginning. all i had in mind when i started this thread, was that i wanted to have a friendly discussion of what do people mean when they say "old paramore" they've only been around 5 years. sure their sound has changed with each record, but most bands do. sure their style has changed since 05, so has mine (thank gosh). they've gotten more mature as they've gotten older, so have i. i was just trying to figure out why people think paramore has changed. every band changes some, but the bands foundation (what they started with) are still there. love of playing music, amazing lyrics, sweet/genuine people.

wow i had no idea, that makes me love them even more too. i mean could you imagine playing infront of thousands of people and hearing them all scream your lyrics. that has to be the most amazing feeling in the world. when i hear a loud crowd on peoples videos i get chills. to think that that many people listen to paramore, it's a major accomplishment for them. it also makes me proud to say i've seen them in a tiny club and now huge venues. it's been an incredible ride for me too, from a fans perspective.

My personal opinion is that they are the exact same people, just more mature.

My first reaction to that sentence was "contradiction". You said they matured, which means they've changed.

to me the difference between 'old' paramore and 'new' paramore has nothing to do with them as people (as most people assume) it's about their look and their sound and their attitude

they've changed a lot as a band and i don't think there's anything wrong with missing an older sound/look/attitude

Totally agree with Kayla.

why do you have to be so "technical" and a douche?

sorry bad mood today and i hate when people use sarcasim over the internet, it's not funny...

lol I was just pointing out the obvious, I wasn't being sarcastic. You have listed every single way that Paramore have changed (the music has changed, the band have matured) and then you ask why people say that they've changed?

See, this is why I don't bother with giving my opinions on here anymore.

i mean....................

they haven't changed their basics...the reason they started a band.

LOVE OF PLAYING MUSIC

i made this thread to see what other people thought, when peoplerefer to the 'old paramore' to me i don't see a difference (except for on the outside AKA apperance) which dosen't really count as a person/band changing...IMO.

i agree here. :)

theyre still the same people, they still love the music, they still do it for the music. theyve just changed musically and their "look" is different.

i still love em the same way as i did "back then" tho

i guess i am over analyzing things and i'm not good at explaining myself through writing.

yes, i miss the look paramore had in 2006, because that's how i remember them/fell in love with them

when i look at pictures from then, yes i go awww omg they look so adorable, they were so young. i however appreciate the "new" them. i guess you could consider different style/music as changing (yes i just contradicted myself again) but like i said, i can't explain myself well over the internet.

i guess this has gone to far already, i didn't mean to sound like a bitch, i was just trying to state my opinion and obviously i failed, hahaha.

Idk if this fits but...

Paramore albums are like a person.

AWKIF you first listen to them and get all of these ideas...

Riot you listen, and you find out more...

BNE you listen and you feel like you honestly know them.

Paramore can't be new again because they have already started.

As Hayley said in Fences, they can't turn back. This is all they have.

Who really cares if videos are Hayley-related. She is like the ambassador for the entire band.

If their music style is changing, so are they.

If their videos change, who cares.

Paramore albums are like a person.

AWKIF you first listen to them and get all of these ideas...

Riot you listen, and you find out more...

BNE you listen and you feel like you honestly know them.

i agree with you completly on this statement. i've never thought about it like that..

and wooh for APRIL 28!

Yeah, during certain parts Taylor stood pretty still.

He actually fucked up the Decode guitar solo somewhat. Most people wouldn't have noticed, but me and my friend noticed since we are guitarists.

During Careful, he would be standing still for most of the lead parts because those parts can easily be screwed up if you jump around and go nuts.

Justin was positioned about 2 meters back (umm, I think that's about 6 feet 7 inches in the imperial system :P) from Taylor, Jeremy and Hayley.

Since he was doing backup vocals of course, he had to be behind the mic and that was placed a bit back as I said.

That's really cool to hear about Hayley having the audience audible in her in ear monitors, awesome stuff

^He only really fucked up one string bend in Decode (which wouldn't be noticeable to people that aren't musicians, but as I said I noticed it since one of my main passions is guitar) and a bit towards the end of the Decode solo.

But otherwise, it didn't look like any of it was hard for me at all, he played effortlessly with a high level of professionalism and didn't really make anymore mistakes that I could really hear apart from Decode