OFFICIAL RIOT! DISCUSSION THREAD

kerrie

i like the lyrics man. i like the 'towering' ones or whatever. love the song.

and the rock and roll baby bit is class ahahaha :grin:

it doesn't hafta be about lyrics all the time man, the music and stuff is really good at that point.

I LOVE the lyrics...I think they're absolutely astounding. And yeah, your arms like towers tower over me reads funny on paper...but I think it sonds awesome in the song.

I also love...off the top of my head:

"they taped over your mouth scribbled out the truth with their lies" (Crushcrushcrush is sooo different than anything they've done before...but my gosh is it great....I love the song...)

"it's not faith if you use your eyes"

That line is beautiful...and so profound.

I never really meant to slate the songs, well I meant to slate We Are Broken because to me it doesn't represent them much, it's too...I can't explain it.

the thing i find about we are broken is that just "we are broken" is just so blatant and that isn't what i call depth,and there has been alot of talk about this album being more deeper and darker.but regardless of the lyrics i like the song.

and yeah i understand what you mean Brent, i personally don't like the lyrics to whoa, i find them kinda cheesey but i love that song soooo much.so yeah i understand what you mean.

Ok, look - everyone's entitled to their opinions - but I think some people are a little out of line here.

We're not going to tolerate bashing the band or particular songs. If you don't like a song, say why - don't just say it's horrid and leave it at that. Let's have open discussions around why people like or dislike songs. Personally, I love "We Are Broken" - the lyrics are so honest and powerful - in fact, the lyrics on the whole album are a big step forward from AWKIF...you can hear the truth and the honesty in every line and I think it's phenomenal.

I think it's very hard to compare it to AWKIF right out of the gate like this...first of all, when you first heard AWKIF, it was probably your first time hearing Paramore. So there was something new and different and exciting about that. Secondly, at this point, we've all listened to AWKIF hundreds of times...you've grown with those songs. You have memories associated with those songs. They've taken on new meanings for you. And that will happen with Riot! too if you give it the chance.

I will agree that Riot! is a cleaner, more pop album than AWKIF...and I'm not surprised that some of you, particularly long-time fans, are struggling with that...just as I think it's going to attract tons of new fans because it is a more accessible sound.

But in listening to it, I think it's a brilliant record. There's a crispness to their sound that simply wasn't there on AWKIF. The playing is better, Hayley's voice is significantly stronger, the lyrics are phenomenal and, imo, the songs themselves are every bit the equals, if not better, than the songs on AWKIF.

It's definitely a different record...they didn't try to do the same thing they did on AWKIF and it shows...but I think taking this new direction shows courage...and this is exactly the record they wanted to make. It's ok if you're not totally into it, but please don't bash them or particular songs - say what you don't like or why you don't like them...they worked INCREDIBLY hard on this record and it says and is exactly what they wanted it to be.

How can we have an open discussion if you come in everytime and pretty much deny everyone their right to actually express their opinion?

No one here is bashing. Bashing would be AP.net style. We're all fans of Paramore here. I don't appreciate our opinions being torn to shreds simply because they're not to your liking. Not everyone will enjoy everything Paramore puts out, no matter how much they like them. I LOVE Paramore, I've put my soul into being a fan of this band, and I resent that I'm not even allowed to form my own VALID opinions without being called out like I am just saying something without thinking it through.

We, as fans, are allowed to say our opinions. And I've thought mine through thoroughly. It's not like I am going out of my way to be nasty and hateful. I don't hate Riot! - I enjoy certain songs. I am dissapointed because the overall energy and message this album sends is not what I was expecting from them.

People are going to have opinions on this album. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about the band. Lighten up and let people speak, without feeling like they shouldn't say anything because their opinion will just get them in trouble for what they are feeling. It's not right.

How can we have an open discussion if you come in everytime and pretty much deny everyone their right to actually express their opinion?

No one here is bashing. Bashing would be AP.net style. We're all fans of Paramore here. I don't appreciate our opinions being torn to shreds simply because they're not to your liking. Not everyone will enjoy everything Paramore puts out, no matter how much they like them. I LOVE Paramore, I've put my soul into being a fan of this band, and I resent that I'm not even allowed to form my own VALID opinions without being called out like I am just saying something without thinking it through.

We, as fans, are allowed to say our opinions. And I've thought mine through thoroughly. It's not like I am going out of my way to be nasty and hateful. I don't hate Riot! - I enjoy certain songs. I am dissapointed because the overall energy and message this album sends is not what I was expecting from them.

People are going to have opinions on this album. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about the band. Lighten up and let people speak, without feeling like they shouldn't say anything because their opinion will just get them in trouble for what they are feeling. It's not right.

My post totally wasn't directed at you...your opinion was thought out and you expressed it really well. It's totally valid and I understand where you're coming from, even if I don't agree with you. And yeah, everyone can definitely have their own opinion and I understand they aren't all going to be like mine.

I want more well thought out posts like yours, not less...I want people to really talk about why they (hopefully) like or (if it's the case) don't like the songs...not just say that a song is great or terrible and leave it at that...

Sorry if what I posted came across the wrong way, but it really wasn't directed at you or any person in particular...it was just a general reaction to a few different things I had read.

the thing i find about we are broken is that just "we are broken" is just so blatant and that isn't what i call depth,and there has been alot of talk about this album being more deeper and darker.but regardless of the lyrics i like the song.

and yeah i understand what you mean Brent, i personally don't like the lyrics to whoa, i find them kinda cheesey but i love that song soooo much.so yeah i understand what you mean.

That's interesting...the thing I really like about the song (and others on the record) is how direct it is...there's this stripped down, totally honest quality to the lyrics - nothing's hidden. And the feelings expressed feel deep to me - it's not "depth" as in hidden meanings, but there's definitely a depth of feeling there, if that makes sense.

I've heard the album during the HT party, and it's not as good as AWKIF in my opinion. It's really not. It doesn't have that feel that AWKIF has..I still get shivers when I listen to that album. My favorite song on Riot! is Hallelujah...and that is a song they wrote way before this alum.

I'm dissapointed, honestly. Sure, they've grown and changed...but AWKIF is still their masterpiece.

Let's put it this way...if this was the first album I heard of theirs, I don't know if I would have had the love I have for them now, probably not until I heard AWKIF. Because of that album I went in search of more stuff about them, and found about the people they are, and I fell in love with them because of that too. I don't think I would have tried so hard if I had heard Riot! first. Emergency was my first song and my breath was quite literally taken away. No song on here does that (except Hallelujah).

I still love Paramore. I don't know what they could do to change that, if anything. I like the abum, but I am dissapointed. That' my opinion and I am sticking to it. I'll just laugh if you bash me on it because I am a true Paramore fan and I know that. True fans can say the good with the bad.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

this album is completely different from awkif. they said that this album was more dark, but to me it sounds like the complete opposite of "dark". it sounds so radio friendly, which can be a good thing, but some of the songs even remind my of kelly clarkson.

i still love them to death, but this album is dissappointing AT FIRST LISTEN. i'm sure it will grow on me, but for now it just wasn't what i was expecting from them.

What I'm hearing so far I'm in LOVE with it... Especially Crushcrushcrush...

Yeah, they've changed, but my god it's amazing. Just the growth in Hayley's voice makes it worth it for me....

I've been a fan since pretty much the start, so yeah, I was scared, and this seems WAYYY too pop for me, but my god it's amazing so far. I'm still a little worried that radio/mtv will kill them, but I'll be loyal the whole way down, lol...

And honestly, it took forever for the entire AWKIF album to grow on me... At first I only liked a few songs, now I love every single one of them...

So who knows, if we're the fans we say we are, we'll give it time like we have with AWKIF and then when their third album comes out, we'll be comparing that to RIOT just like we are RIOT to AWKIF...

If that made any sense...

what song is that from?

is it in the clips?

Yeah, I don't understand where people are getting some of these lyrics from, either... Because I've listend to that thing on that one myspace about 59678 times and I don't hear anything about towering arms or rock and rolling, lol...

So...I downloaded it and decided not to listen to it...but that didn't exactly work out.

I like it,I'm not sure I love it yet but it certainly has not let me down.

Miracle,When It Rains and Let The Flames Begin stand out to me.

I really was expecting something a little more edgier...well a lot edgier but I like it...I just need to have a good listen to it