What grinds your gears?

Shivari

Looks like it always takes me a while before I realize that we have this thread...a late ignition, as usual, but it takes some time for me to get worked up over something so much that I decide to post about it.

So, what is it this time? It's a certain mentality. It's reek is everywhere.

"I've listened to this band longer/I know more songs from this band than you, therefore, I deem you inferior, and you should now proceed to kneel before me and kiss my ring"

What kind of a person carves a fucking status symbol out of the fact that he/she was fortunate enough to hear band X's music before another person? I find new music all the time, so there's loads of bands that I've only known about for a few weeks (actually, it's about six months with Paramore right now). That still leaves us with the fact that I'm most certainly not hearing every single new song by every band there is as soon as it comes out so that I can bask in my own awesomeness when band X scores a radio hit 75 years later.

A hypothetical situation: Let's say I join this board a few months earlier than I really did. Ask me about Paramore and I would say "I've heard the radio singles and only liked Decode". That's how it really was! There was a few years wide gap between Decode and the rest, but still. What kind of a response would that trigger here? What if I only said I've heard Decode, and loved it? What if I told you I had heard the two albums as well? What if I left that fact out? Those options could lead to so many different things, but it's still only me enjoying a Paramore song and most else that comes up is either irrelevant or downright retarded.

This kind of thinking isn't always visible. I've seen it in some other boards, but, in here, it's close to non-existent fortunately. But one thread had some remarks about this, and so I started to throw the idea around in my head.

Now you, dear reader, if you are in a inner turmoil because the first song you heard from Paramore is Decode but are afraid to spit it out: Keep your eyes on the ball (music itself, it's the name of the game and all that matters) and punch the defending team in the face if they try to convince you otherwise.

Looks like it always takes me a while before I realize that we have this thread...a late ignition, as usual, but it takes some time for me to get worked up over something so much that I decide to post about it.

So, what is it this time? It's a certain mentality. It's reek is everywhere.

"I've listened to this band longer/I know more songs from this band than you, therefore, I deem you inferior, and you should now proceed to kneel before me and kiss my ring"

What kind of a person carves a fucking status symbol out of the fact that he/she was fortunate enough to hear band X's music before another person? I find new music all the time, so there's loads of bands that I've only known about for a few weeks (actually, it's about six months with Paramore right now). That still leaves us with the fact that I'm most certainly not hearing every single new song by every band there is as soon as it comes out so that I can bask in my own awesomeness when band X scores a radio hit 75 years later.

A hypothetical situation: Let's say I join this board a few months earlier than I really did. Ask me about Paramore and I would say "I've heard the radio singles and only liked Decode". That's how it really was! There was a few years wide gap between Decode and the rest, but still. What kind of a response would that trigger here? What if I only said I've heard Decode, and loved it? What if I told you I had heard the two albums as well? What if I left that fact out? Those options could lead to so many different things, but it's still only me enjoying a Paramore song and most else that comes up is either irrelevant or downright retarded.

This kind of thinking isn't always visible. I've seen it in some other boards, but, in here, it's close to non-existent fortunately. But one thread had some remarks about this, and so I started to throw the idea around in my head.

Now you, dear reader, if you are in a inner turmoil because the first song you heard from Paramore is Decode but are afraid to spit it out: Keep your eyes on the ball (music itself, it's the name of the game and all that matters) and punch the defending team in the face if they try to convince you otherwise.

Damn do I know this feeling all too well too. You da man.