Emergency video THE REAL VIDEO

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I absolutely love the video.

I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, but was asked not to leak it by the band, so I haven't told anyone about it out of respect for their wishes (which was REALLY hard to do, but I wanted them to get to release the video on their own terms and to respect what they wanted)...I really hope they wanted it to come out as this point and that someone else didn't find it and leak it...

In my mind, the video is about being forced to...I can't think of a better word, so I'll just say "whore" yourself out for the music industry. The beginning shows them all sitting around beaten down and beaten up...and when Shane Drake walks into the room, he's kind of playing the "pimp" in the scene, throwing the carnation at Hayley and all...

Then they get outside and we realize that it's all an act - the makeup, the blood, the cuts, etc. It's all fake for the video...and you notice how the band just suddenly turns it on to perform? Again, I think it's about being manipulated by the music industry and forced into an image, a format, a look that you might not necessarily want to have...but you've still got to turn it on and perform when it's time...no matter how beaten down you are (real or fake); no matter how much you hurt or how tired you are or how much you may not even feel it...

And I don't think the video necessarily conveys the only meaning for the song. The song can be about one thing when Hayley and Josh wrote it, can be interpreted another way for the video and can mean as many things as people think it means. There are plenty of examples of songs where the video is just one interpretation of the song's meaning...

First of all' date=' I absolutely love the video.

I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, but was asked not to leak it by the band, so I haven't told anyone about it out of respect for their wishes (which was REALLY hard to do, but I wanted them to get to release the video on their own terms and to respect what they wanted)...I really hope they wanted it to come out as this point and that someone else didn't find it and leak it...

In my mind, the video is about being forced to...I can't think of a better word, so I'll just say "whore" yourself out for the music industry. The beginning shows them all sitting around beaten down and beaten up...and when Shane Drake walks into the room, he's kind of playing the "pimp" in the scene, throwing the carnation at Hayley and all...

Then they get outside and we realize that it's all an act - the makeup, the blood, the cuts, etc. It's all fake for the video...and you notice how the band just suddenly turns it on to perform? Again, I think it's about being manipulated by the music industry and forced into an image, a format, a look that you might not necessarily want to have...but you've still got to turn it on and perform when it's time...no matter how beaten down you are (real or fake); no matter how much you hurt or how tired you are or how much you may not even feel it...

And I don't think the video necessarily conveys the only meaning for the song. The song can be about one thing when Hayley and Josh wrote it, can be interpreted another way for the video and can mean as many things as people think it means. There are plenty of examples of songs where the video is just one interpretation of the song's meaning...[/quote']

Ah thankyou!

I was thinking "Darnit,we need Brent." haha.I knew you'd explain most of it,and HEY I got the pimp part right!

thanks for explaining it.

And I don't think the video necessarily conveys the only meaning for the song. The song can be about one thing when Hayley and Josh wrote it, can be interpreted another way for the video and can mean as many things as people think it means. There are plenty of examples of songs where the video is just one interpretation of the song's meaning...[/quote']

You dont think they are being somewhat hyprocritical if thats the point of this? Dont get me wrong I love the band but you dont have to conform to the music industry, theres plenty of bands that dont.

I knewww you'd be the one to get it lol

Well, that's just my interpretation...I don't know if it's right or not or even what the band or Shane Drake were thinking :) That's the fun of good art...you can interpret it a ton of different ways and it keeps you thinking...

Well, that's just my interpretation...I don't know if it's right or not or even what the band or Shane Drake were thinking :) That's the fun of good art...you can interpret it a ton of different ways and it keeps you thinking...

that's kind of what i was thinking. i was reading the comments of how everyone thought it wasn't as good as they thought etc. and how you don't get it, but you can tell there's something going on especially in the parts when Haley is sitting on the chair looking really angstful(?). you cna also tell just by the way they look that they don't like what's going on and it's just kind of "ruining" them.

i think it's a really good video, and ya there was hype about it, but it's not dissapointing. i think it's a good video, a bit better than pressure, because you actualyl have to think about it

hmmm

they look good.

the performance parts are cool with hayley dancing around :D

theyre happy with it so i guess thats what matterssss

ya i agree w/ u...even though it wasnt what i expected i still think they did a wonderful job and like u said....as long as their happy then we should be happy for them!!

and hayley was right...this vid does keep ppl guessing

i loved the video. it was amazing. you defiantly needed to think about the song when you were watching it. it all made scence when it was over.

That's a great point...think of the "I've seen love die way too many times when it deserved to be alive" line in the context of a love for music instead of romantic love...

i loved the video. it was amazing. you defiantly needed to think about the song when you were watching it. it all made scence when it was over.

That's a great point...think of the "I've seen love die way too many times when it deserved to be alive" line in the context of a love for music instead of romantic love...

and "you do your best to show me love, but you don't know what love is"

I loved the make up and the outfits.

But the video didn't make much sense for the song. The setting was really good as well. Is this really the video? Because I am a tad disappointed, that there was no story line ...

But either way they are getting out there as a band, but I think Pressure is more better of a video in my opinion.

But the video didn't make much sense for the song. The setting was really good as well. Is this really the video? Because I am a tad disappointed' date=' that there was no story line ...

But either way they are getting out there as a band, but I think Pressure is more better of a video in my opinion.[/quote']

I disagree that there's no storyline - I think the storyline is just more complex than the one in "Pressure", which was VERY literal. I like this one A LOT better...but then, I was an English major in college :)

But the video didn't make much sense for the song. The setting was really good as well. Is this really the video? Because I am a tad disappointed' date=' that there was no story line ...

But either way they are getting out there as a band, but I think Pressure is more better of a video in my opinion.[/quote']

I disagree that there's no storyline - I think the storyline is just more complex than the one in "Pressure", which was VERY literal. I like this one A LOT better...but then, I was an English major in college :)

sup analytical =p

i kinda have to agree with brent though

the complexity in the storyline and how it's embeded and portrayed in the video makes it harder to see at first, but after you get it, you appreciate the music video more

i suggest you guys watch it a couple times before deciding

sorry if someone already said this..

but anyway for some reason my pc will only allow me to view 2 minutes of it.

i think the good thing about this vid is it keeps you thinking of it after weatching.

unlike the pressure video where you watch it, you get it, like it and thats it.

with this vid everything isnt explained... different people can have different opinions on what it means.

in my opinion i think its about how everyone is making them into something they dont particularly have any power/choice in being without them being part of the choice ... sorry if that doesnt make sense.

at the beginning of the vid you're thinking wow whats happened and then suddenly you realise its not real. thats connected in my opinon to the line "ive seen love die way too many times when it deserved ... etc etc"

anyway just my opinion

good video :)

sorry if someone already said this..

but anyway for some reason my pc will only allow me to view 2 minutes of it.

i think the good thing about this vid is it keeps you thinking of it after weatching.

unlike the pressure video where you watch it' date=' you get it, like it and thats it.

with this vid everything isnt explained... different people can have different opinions on what it means.

in my opinion i think its about how everyone is making them into something they dont particularly have any power/choice in being without them being part of the choice ... sorry if that doesnt make sense.

at the beginning of the vid you're thinking wow whats happened and then suddenly you realise its not real. thats connected in my opinon to the line "ive seen love die way too many times when it deserved ... etc etc"

anyway just my opinion

good video :)[/quote']

Yep - the Pressure video was very literal. This one is much more open to interpretation, a lot darker and the band looks spectacular in it.

I really like it. I think I get what they are trying to say.

They all went through these rough times (the beginning like washing the blood off and stuff) and they really didn't know what to do it about it and didn't want to talk about it (sitting around and not talking) and then this whole thing with the music happened (that director coming in) and they really started to put themselves out there and like tell their story (puting on make-up and filming the video).

I don't know... that's kinda what I got from it.

It wasn't EXACTLY what I expected, but It was pretty much what I expected.

I really really love it. It's very well done.

Thanks, Brent, for the explanation. It really helps, and I actually kind of got that from the video the first time I watched it.

Anyway, my favorite song from AWKIF is Emergency, and I think the video did it justice. I'm not dissapointed at all, in fact, i'm extremely impressed, and excited to see what comes from this video.

The headlining tour will be spectacular if they do base it around this video.

Yes, the "story line" just doesn't please me specially for this type of song.

Guess they can't please everyone :D