why do paramore classifieds as emo sometimes?

nilleboy

what is the deal about that? I was on Wikipedia the other day and I saw that Emo was under Genre, I though what is this? How do people think? Do anyone know that emo isnt a shortword for emotional because then all music would be emo and that makes no sense.

If it is because the band is influed by Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat world and Death Cab For Cutie then it still makes no sense because the closest you come emo here is SDRE kind of indie-emo.

I just hate that reviews take up that word and Paramore in the same sense because I cant agree with them at all.

Paramore is Rock influed by alot of Pop-Punk and Pop its no Hardcore about it at all?

I do agree that bands like Jimmy Eat World, SDRE (I loooove Jeremy Enigk), and DCFC are great emo bands (they created the genre, especially SDRE), and that it's sad that emo has such a negative connotation, especially with those freaking amazing bands clumped into the genre.

I think the emo persona these days (like the fashion and the people) have formed with this preconceived notion of the musical genre, which is kind of WTF worthy. I don't think Paramore is emo at all... they're kind of like NFG, rock/pop/punk... I don't think emo is a good category for Paramore at all, unless songs like We Are Broken and When It Rains are considered to off-balance that enough. I think many people just say Paramore is emo because of the 1.) the way they dress... but a lot of musicians these days were skinny jeans and rockabilly/vintage shirts, 2.) they have crazy-cool hair, which is another characteristic of many performers across the rock board, and 3.) because of their sound-- FOB was the first band of this age to be categorized as emo, which is why so many bands that are now reaching fame on the same label are being dubbed "emo". Doesn't make a lot sense obviously, but that's what happens when people try to fit a band into a particular sound without taking the time to actually know what the heck they're talking about.

I think genres are pointless...or at least the arguments with them. It's even worse when you get into sub-genres. I say if you like what you're listening to it, doe it really matter what genre it is?

yes! you're so right.

whoever said hayley thinks they are emo.. i dunno where you got that from. she always takes the piss when they play when it rains because journalists label them that.

^Here here.

I hear the word 'emo' used so constantly and casually now it annoys me. If you like certain bands, you're emo. If you get a little miserable or moany about something, you're an emo. You just can't win. :-x

yea lol paramore isnt emo.... i think its funny because people used to call me emo b.c i used to live kidna in the ghetto (i dnt like using that word but i have no other way of describing it) nd every1 there listened to hiphop or rap nd i listened 2 rock type stuff so alot of ppl that didnt kno me were jus like oh yea catie is emo... im like uh no not at all

I disagree that "true emo" is gone. Jimmy Eat World just released their sixth album (Chase This Light), which is probably one of the best emo albums since 2005's Plans by Death Cab for Cutie and their last album Futures in '04. Many people get into heated debates about genres, which I do think is silly, but Jimmy Eat World is definitely one of the founding bands that really shaped what emo truly is. Until bands like Jimmy Eat World stop making music, that's when emo will be dead. Sure, we did have to wait for about two years to know that well written, well thought out, far from generic emo is still out there, but, if you ask me, it was well worth the wait.

^Yeah, every artist is emotional-- I mean, their music is their personal expression. But emo came about when hardcore bands started to take a softer approach to their music and some performers would start to cry when they performed a song that really meant a lot to them... Ergo, emo-core came around. And bands like SDRE and Jimmy Eat World became textbook definitions of bands that new, hard to define genre.

It's kind of like indie... I mean, what is indie? Many people believe it's now a genre (another very hard to define genre) while others believe it's solely when bands are independent from major record labels.

over on this tiny island.

everyone is 'emo' apparently.

you walk down the street, and you get people going

'CHEAP IMMITATION OF GOTH, DIRTY EMO, GO CUT YOURSELF'

its like, just go crawl in a hole, and listen to happy music.

make yourself feel better,

cos you know no-ones gonna help you out of that hole.

just cos im 'mixed heritage'

i walk down the street, and its like

'oh your brown, you MUST be emo, cos your dark and sensitive'

another word i dont like to use is 'chav'

because that apparently means 'Council House and Violent/Violence'

its like, wth!

but then the 'chavs' go round calling people freakin emos every second of the day.

'oh your upset/crying, your emo'

'oh your HAPPY. freakin emo.'

'oh, your drinking water, you must be emo'

'your hanging out with someone whos wearing a black top, or has something black on them. your sooo emo'

'your hair is black, you must be emo'

'your wearing black, you HAVE to be emo'

OUR FRIGGIN SCHOOL UNIFORM IS BLOODY BLACK.

SO CALL THE WHOLE SCHOOL 'EMO'

even the little plasticy girls MUSTY be emo, cos they wear black!

its like

find the true meaning of emo, and then see what a prat your making of yourself.