General Music Thread

Hiroki

Anyone hear about Sky launching their own music service to rival Spotify and iTunes?

Also what's peoples thoughts on Spotify and that sort of thing?

I read in NME that bands get less money via Spotify than if you bought the song through iTunes or 7Digital for example.

Anyone hear about Sky launching their own music service to rival Spotify and iTunes?

Also what's peoples thoughts on Spotify and that sort of thing?

I read in NME that bands get less money via Spotify than if you bought the song through iTunes or 7Digital for example.

This article by the Guardian on the subject is really interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/aug/17/major-labels-spotify

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess it make sense.

I don't know what I was thinking yesterday, but I meant that the only place where I usually hear the compression is in drums, and I don't always hear it there either.

No, I don't always wear ear plugs to gigs, I only wear them to the really big ones like Prog Nation and such. Not to mention that I've had my share of rocket launchers, cannons, assault rifles and such firing next to me, so I've always assumed that I don't hear properly anymore. Maybe I am a genetic freak then, but I do hear up to 20khz. I just tested it again this morning.

Cymbals are where MP3 compression are very noticeable, due to their high end content which can get fucked around with MP3 easily.

Especially in metal (and hell, even Paramore), with all the fucking post processing going on in the mix. Not that I have a problem with post processing mind you.

Okay, so you're hearing test....what exactly are you using for a hearing test?

The words "I tested it" (key word being "I") probably doesn't give much concrete evidence of your hearing ability.

A proper Audiologist test or nothing.

I used a tone generator and cranked it up to 20khz. My parents tried it and they couldn't hear past 15khz, but both of my brothers could hear the same as me. I started to have tears in my eyes because the sound was so piercing, but I'm not going to visit an audiologist to get a golden certificate or anything, so you have to settle for this.

I don't know what people were expecting of Spotify, but it didn't surprise me that artists don't generate much income from it. If you look at the shareholders of Spotify, it's like a little house-monkey project of the major labels, and they are having trouble making money from it as it is. This is a natural problem to a young streaming service that is still building up its userbase. My guess is that the major labels have seen this as THE opportunity to make the leap into the digital era, and that's why they are supporting Spotify and trying to make it into a profitable business.

As for why small labels get payed differently from the major ones... I think it's for the same reason why independent artists are not allowed there at all. It's still not clear to me how the current shareholders actually bought their shares and whether or not there were some behind-the-curtains deals involved, but it would only make sense for the big four to make the most money out of Spotify since they were the ones who invested in it in the first place. The Guardian article was a bit guiding and non-coherent, especially regarding this. The Merlin Network might cover about 11% of the services streams, but that doesn't make their share of 1% exactly "disproportionate".

I personally think that Spotify was doomed from the beginning since it will never gather enough users to support itself, and the artists who thought that Spotify would make them money are looking at the wrong service anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how about them listening habits? Do you usually listen to music on shuffle? Do you put your entire library on shuffle, or just a few albums of songs? Do you listen to albums back to back at all? Do you ever take a little time to just listen to music instead of having it as background to something else you are doing?

Most of the time, I listen to full albums simply because I see it as a movie vs. channel surfing -kind of debate. I want to immerse myself in the sound world and hear every song in the context it was intended to be heard. I can see why people would use shuffle, but it's not for me, and, if I want to hear this song here and that one there, I will enqueue songs to a playlist. I guess that means I never use shuffle...

Most of the time, music serves as a background for other things such as loitering around here or surfing the web, but I try to listen to at least one album before sleep in my bed with the lights off so that the album has my undivided attention. Another place is in the car, because I can concentrate on the music pretty well while driving, but it's not really the ideal place for listening, at least not the car I'm driving.

So, how about them listening habits? Do you usually listen to music on shuffle? Do you put your entire library on shuffle, or just a few albums of songs? Do you listen to albums back to back at all? Do you ever take a little time to just listen to music instead of having it as background to something else you are doing?

Most of the time, music serves as a background for other things such as loitering around here or surfing the web, but I try to listen to at least one album before sleep in my bed with the lights off so that the album has my undivided attention. Another place is in the car, because I can concentrate on the music pretty well while driving, but it's not really the ideal place for listening, at least not the car I'm driving.

The bold for me. When I'm on the move (i.e. to university or work) there's little point in starting an album cause I won't finish it so I just shuffle my library. In the house, about 60% of the time I shuffle my library. The rest of the time I listen to a specific album start-to-finish or in some cases, an artist's entire discography from back to front. Whenever I first get an album I always listen to it with no distractions so that I can fully immerse myself in it.

I also echo the car sentiments. Where possible, I'll always listen to a full album in the car. Always found there's something a bit different with an album when you're spinning it on the road.

If I'm out and about then I usually put together a playlist of songs that I'm into at the moment and listen on my ipod. Sometimes, on rare occassions I will listen to full albums on my ipod.

At home, it varies between the two depending on my mood. Either stick to a playlist I use "on the go" or just browse my itunes library and listen to random songs or full albums. I don't use the shuffle thing though.

Well, if I'm just relaxing, or just sitting around offline, I'll most likely listen to an album in it's entirety.

I don't shuffle my iTunes while I'm online, because I have like full albums from most of my bands so it'd just be repeated anyway. I play a few songs from each. Really just depends!

I'll usually listen to full albums back to back. I really never use any kind of shuffle function, if I want to "Shuffle" I'll pick the tracks myself rather than have some technology do that for me.

If an album has no filler material, generally I'll always listen to it from start to finish.

Though sometimes when I'm not in the mood for listening to a whole album, I might just go randomly and listen to one song from one artist at a time, but that's usually a less likely scenario than listening to a full album for me.

Some albums I have, such as Colors, as well as The Great Misdirect by Between the Buried and Me, seem to really demand I just sit there in a chair, and do nothing but listen to the music and immerse myself in every subtlety and nuance the albums have to offer.

It's a not a knock to the music, but if I must say so not everything I listen to is super deep and detailed enough that I would need to do nothing but listen to it.

And that's fine, I mean, we don't spend our whole lives constantly having deep and meaningful conversations with people do we? Sometimes we just want something that isn't going to constantly test our brain all the time. I like contrast in many different aspects of life, music being one of them.

For a while I used to listen to nothing but avant garde stuff, technical death etc sat down and always gave it my full attention, but after a while I started going insane and can't do it all the time anymore.