Album art?

Ok, first of all, I just really don't like the negativity in general in a lot of what I'm reading. I mean, we're fans of the band...we're here to support them...that doesn't mean that we can't ever criticize something or express a different opinion, but I don't know...some of what I'm reading above isn't constructive criticism - it's just mean-spirited. And that upsets me because I don't think that's what Paramore fans are about. I mean, c'mon guys - how would you feel if you were the band and you read a comment like some of what's been posted above?

Also, there's no guarantee this is the actual final album art. I don't know whether it is or it isn't - but just because it's shown up in the HMV store doesn't mean it's final...I think we all remember what was there BEFORE this and that wasn't final either.

I also think criticizing the band over the artwork on their CDs or merch or whatever is kind of pointless. They don't design their own merch and they don't do the artwork for their CDs. Yes, they probably do approve it and have some input...but so does the record label and about 1,000 other people. Perhaps the label said they had to be on the cover. Perhaps they wanted to be on the cover to get their faces out there to all the people who don't know them. Who knows?

I actually like it too. Not that it matters much because it's an album cover...it's not going to change the music inside...and I think most everyone agrees that the two songs we've heard so far are exceptional...

Finally, I think a lot of people here are really into the AWKIF album art...and I understand that....you know the story behind it and all that. But, to the average person on the street, think how that album artwork probably appears. They probably don't notice the shadow. And they're probably like "what's up with the couch?" So...I think this album cover does a better job communicating who Paramore is and what the album is going to be like to the average person than AWKIF's cover...and I have a feeling that's exactly what they were going for.

Ok...please - can we stop with the negativity? I don't want to stifle discussion - but these boards and this site exist to SUPPORT the band...that doesn't mean you can't ever criticize anything or state a different opinion...but page after page of how much something sucks is too much.

First, there's no guarantee this is the actual final album art. I don't know whether it is or it isn't - but just because it's shown up in the HMV store doesn't mean it's final...I think we all remember what was there BEFORE this and that wasn't final either.

Second of all, criticizing the band over the artwork on their CDs or merch or whatever is kind of pointless. They don't design their own merch and they don't do the artwork for their CDs. Yes, they probably do approve it and have some input...but so does the record label and about 1,000 other people. Perhaps the label said they had to be on the cover. Perhaps they wanted to be on the cover to get their faces out there to all the people who don't know them. Who knows?

Third, I actually like it. Not that it matters much because it's an album cover...it's not going to change the music inside...and I think most everyone agrees that the two songs we've heard so far are exceptional...

Finally, I think a lot of people here are really into the AWKIF album art...and I understand that....you know the story behind it and all that. But, to the average person on the street, think how that album artwork probably appears. They probably don't notice the shadow. And they're probably like "what's up with the couch?" So...I think this album cover does a better job communicating who Paramore is and what the album is going to be like to the average person than AWKIF's cover...and I have a feeling that's exactly what they were going for.

We're allowed to state our opinions. Just because it's Paramore doesn't mean it's perfect. Saying that we don't like the album art isn't going to make us love them any less. We don't have to agree with everything they do.

And if they wanted their faces on the album so people saw what they looked like, I would disagree with that decision. I think artwork is way cooler than seeing the artist on the cover. And that is my OPINION. Again, I am stating it. And was it not Hayley herself that said we didn't have to go along with everything they said and did?

Just because the songs inside are good, doesn't mean we have to drop everything and go along with whatever album artwork goes out. The majority hasn't liked it - that should say something about what the fans are expecting. This is a complete 180 degrees from AWKIF, in my opinion. The album art was captivating and beautiful for AWKIF...this is confusing and boring.

Ok...please - can we stop with the negativity? I don't want to stifle discussion - but these boards and this site exist to SUPPORT the band...that doesn't mean you can't ever criticize anything or state a different opinion...but page after page of how much something sucks is too much.

First, there's no guarantee this is the actual final album art. I don't know whether it is or it isn't - but just because it's shown up in the HMV store doesn't mean it's final...I think we all remember what was there BEFORE this and that wasn't final either.

Second of all, criticizing the band over the artwork on their CDs or merch or whatever is kind of pointless. They don't design their own merch and they don't do the artwork for their CDs. Yes, they probably do approve it and have some input...but so does the record label and about 1,000 other people. Perhaps the label said they had to be on the cover. Perhaps they wanted to be on the cover to get their faces out there to all the people who don't know them. Who knows?

Third, I actually like it. Not that it matters much because it's an album cover...it's not going to change the music inside...and I think most everyone agrees that the two songs we've heard so far are exceptional...

Well Im sorry brent but Im going to disagree.

Well the only point that Im agreeing on is wondering if thatss the final art cover. We dont know, theres no official info on that.

Ive read most of the posts and yes theres negativity on the cover, but whos criticizing the band over the album cover???? No one is. Everyone is criticizing the album cover, I dont see why thats such a huge deal. No one is saying that the album will suck because of that.

and as for AWKIF, at least my opinion is just about the colors. The cover at least looked alittle more happy-like, idk. I dont like the cover of AWKIF because it has a shadow or not. I also agree on that a normal person wouldnt notice things like the shadow and all.

i wanna see the a larger version it

it could grow on me

its just not what i expected

i expected something more meaningful or simplistic

it all seems a lil rushed and crammed

like its been done in 5 minutes

but you know what they say

never judge a book by its cover

i dnt dislike paramore any less for it

i just think they could do alot better

im just stating my opinion

which is what a discussion is all about

We're allowed to state our opinions. Just because it's Paramore doesn't mean it's perfect. Saying that we don't like the album art isn't going to make us love them any less. We don't have to agree with everything they do.

And if they wanted their faces on the album so people saw what they looked like, I would disagree with that decision. I think artwork is way cooler than seeing the artist on the cover. And that is my OPINION. Again, I am stating it. And was it not Hayley herself that said we didn't have to go along with everything they said and did?

Just because the songs inside are good, doesn't mean we have to drop everything and go along with whatever album artwork goes out. The majority hasn't liked it - that should say something about what the fans are expecting. This is a complete 180 degrees from AWKIF, in my opinion. The album art was captivating and beautiful for AWKIF...this is confusing and boring.

Absolutely, people can state their opinions. I'm not saying anyone can't. What I really have a problem with is that some of the opinions I've read are very mean-spirited...they're not constructive criticism, they're just kind of cruel. And I think about how I would feel if I were in the band and reading them and well...I think I'd feel pretty lousy.

I also think people shouldn't necessarily assume they made the choice to put themselves on the cover...unless we hear that directly from them. I don't have a problem with it personally - in fact, for a band trying to breakthrough, I think it's a pretty decent idea to get their faces out there - but again, the label probably had some input and a lot of other folks as well.

I think album art works best if it's 2 things. One, eye-catching. This is, imo. Two, it gives some impression of what the music inside is going to sound like/what the album theme is...this does...or at least I think it does based on what we've heard so far.

Well Im sorry brent but Im going to disagree.

Well the only point that Im agreeing on is wondering if thatss the final art cover. We dont know, theres no official info on that.

Ive read most of the posts and yes theres negativity on the cover, but whos criticizing the band over the album cover???? No one is. Everyone is criticizing the album cover, I dont see why thats such a huge deal. No one is saying that the album will suck because of that.

and as for AWKIF, at least my opinion is just about the colors. The cover at least looked alittle more happy-like, idk. I dont like the cover of AWKIF because it has a shadow or not. I also agree on that a normal person wouldnt notice things like the shadow and all.

In my opinion, there are definitely people criticizing the band in reference to the album cover. I'm not going to go back and quote people directly, but I read a number of quotes that came across that way when I read them.

I personally think the cover of AWKIF looks sad as all get out...sad and lonely. But maybe that's just me.

i wanna see the a larger version it

it could grow on me

its just not what i expected

i expected something more meaningful or simplistic

it all seems a lil rushed and crammed

like its been done in 5 minutes

but you know what they say

never judge a book by its cover

i dnt dislike paramore any less for it

i just think they could do alot better

im just stating my opinion

which is what a discussion is all about

And I'm all for us having a discussion about it...but what I didn't like was quickly reading through this thread and seeing a lot of one line posts that were very negative...what I wrote definitely wasn't directed at everyone...there were just a decent # of posts that I saw that were either kind of mean-spirited or just criticized it without really offering any reasons for their opinions...

Absolutely, people can state their opinions. I'm not saying anyone can't. What I really have a problem with is that some of the opinions I've read are very mean-spirited...they're not constructive criticism, they're just kind of cruel. And I think about how I would feel if I were in the band and reading them and well...I think I'd feel pretty lousy.

I also think people shouldn't necessarily assume they made the choice to put themselves on the cover...unless we hear that directly from them. I don't have a problem with it personally - in fact, for a band trying to breakthrough, I think it's a pretty decent idea to get their faces out there - but again, the label probably had some input and a lot of other folks as well.

I think album art works best if it's 2 things. One, eye-catching. This is, imo. Two, it gives some impression of what the music inside is going to sound like...this does...or at least I think it does based on what we've heard so far. Really pretty artwork is great...but it doesn't necessarily sell records...and while I love the artwork on AWKIF...I'm not sure it meets either of those two above criteria...and I can bet that FBR, if no one else, was definitely pushing them in that direction...

I don't think anyone is here is saying OMG IT SUCKS I WILL NEVER LISTEN TO PARAMORE AGAIN. So it's not all that bad. We are not AP.net over here, we aren't out to critisize their every move. We're here to support them, and we do. However, most don't in this case, and it's being said.

Wether they chose to or not, I still don't like it. We're not critisizing Paramore's abilities as a band and as musicians - we're stating our reasons why we dislike the cover, and having their faces on it seems to be a big reason. I doubt a crappily photoshopped picture of them is going to put their faces in many people's heads. It's creativity and originality that get people interested. The black and white is bland, but the amount of stuff going on makes it overcrowded. Maybe there is "symbolism" and all that, but I think they are much more creative than this.