David Bendeth's Blog

SuperJess

From David Bendeth's blog on myspace:

NME AND KERRANG

These rags kill me. They have been around longer than me and its really funny watching them try to be cool. They enlist all these semi astute writers who have all these lame records in their collection. Their main goal in life is to get every fact wrong and twist the truth into something that might seem plausable for the scensters.

I mean how can you take a name like KERRANG seriously in 2007? I mean its fucking Iron Maiden trying to be hip, lets call it what it is. And reading Paramore's review in NME was even a bigger Joke. I read this rag when I was a kid. Looks like they hired a bunch of teenagers from Canvey Island to write the reviews. They called Paramore EMO like 5 times..EMO???? WTF?? EMO?

Not even people from Utah call it EMO anymore! They use words like Angst and Emotional. Spare me please.

Now I know they are not crazy for my "slick" production work..thats ok. I mean it hasnt hurt me one bit on the radio , not even in England next week where the mid chart on Paramore is #30. It is blatantly obvious to me that these longhaired metalheads like shit sounding records. They like vibey records, you know the strokes, stuff that sounds like it was recorded in your mums bathroom. Kids recording with a computer and keyboard through a 1957 mic. These guys kill me, they wouldnt know a good sounding record if Rod re recorded Every Picture tells a story.

Oh WELL, enough of the rant. Thank god for kids, at least they can sniff this crap out. And dont forget UK press, when the US bands cough, you catch a cold.

AHEM!!

KKKKK 5 K's for this one Dave

I agree with him on it being rediculous that Paramore be called emo, being as most of their songs are HAPPY and upbeat, and Hayley doesn't WHINE into the mic...

HOWEVER....

I love metal. I grew up on metal. Especially the metal band so well known around the world as Iron Maiden that he's trying to bash on.

Uhm, the lead singer of Maiden LIKES Paramore, so this is really a moot point...

And I draw the line at people Iron Maiden bashing...

And that's all for MY rant.

I mean how can you take a name like KERRANG seriously in 2007? I mean its fucking Iron Maiden trying to be hip, lets call it what it is.

Excuse me? :???: That wasn't a Maiden diss I hope...

And I'll say it again, there was nothing wrong with the Kerrang review [of Riot].

I love, and adore Iron Maiden. I am friends with Iron Maiden, I even played on their soccer team to raise money for charity.

Bruce the singer owns the mag. That is the extent of it. There is no dig against the band, Just the owners and their lack of knowledge of new music.

But what was wrong with Kerrang's review? 3/5 isn't bad and I don't recall them saying anything bad about you producing the record.

The review was fine. No problem, The artice that ensued was immature. References to the band being gay? Hayley being a control freak. That is vicious and uncalled for and irresponsible reporting. Unless of course you agree with all of that?

Can we close this?

I didn't agree with that article no. But that article is nearly a month old now...

I thought you were putting down Maiden and complaining about the Kerrang review - which you've explained you weren't so I'm okay with that.

Please read the blog. It might explain the truth you are looking for. It was never about the reviews. Just a general statement. The press in the UK have historically tried to sensationalize interviews to sell magazines. They will stop at nothing. Sometimes its funny, other times its lame. They took shots at Paramore for no reason. All the band ever tried to do was accomodate them as many of my other bands have worked with of the years. Its a shame when reputable rock magazines have to retort to "STAR" magazine type articles to invigorate conjecture.

The kids that buy the records know the truth, so why print bullshit? It just creates unneccesary fiction and friction.

When they dont have a mind shattering story, they fabricate one.

This is my blog, my feelings.I am sorry it made it here.This is my last comment on this subject. It got my fur up. I am a British subject. I know the drill.

I just thought it wouldn't do Paramore any good. Anyway, as you said let's leave this now.

I've sent you a pm by the way, just explaining in more detail so not to continue this on the main forums :)

He sounds kind of pretentious in this. I mean how old is he and he's acting way more immature about it than Paramore was. Just a thought.

I agree, it would have been better to say it in a more adult way, but I think he just must have written in a fit of anger, rather than sitting down and sorting out what he really wanted to say, which is completely understandable.

And for those of you thinking he's taking a dig at metalheads, I think it was more like him saying that they (Kerrang staffers) don't appreciate a broad spectrum of music and that they need to broaden their horizons.

EDIT: And if he didn't want this posted here, I apologize. I just thought some of you would like to see it, and I had just happened to stumble upon it on Myspace, so I didn't think you guys would be all that likely to find it the way I did.

Oh no, I think it was a dig at the writers. I think it was like he wrote this and he wasn't expected a ton of us to read it, you know? And so he didn't really elaborate on what he means. I don't know, I could be totally wrong, but I don't think he was ragging on Maiden.