First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

Am I the only one who understood what Harry said? :shifty:

I mean,okay,I'm not sure if I understood everything 100%,but I'll try my luck. It all has to do with music theory,I guess. Mostly because he specified about microtonal intervals [as far as I know,these are semitones (or tones? :shifty: I'm not sure) that are spaced in an equall way or something] and about the diatonic chord progression. And everything sounds pretty much generic to us,but it's really not. Correct me if I'm wrong :shifty:

Ernie will have a hard time arguing against that if he doesn't know what you're talking about, Harry. I'm pretty sure you're aware of the fact that we aren't limited to the 7 notes of the key, and even if we were, we'd still have the 7 diatonic chords to go underneath the notes of the melody, and that alone leaves us with plenty of options when you remember how many possible note lengths, sequences and phrasings we have at our disposal. Add the many possible key changes to the mix and you'll see that we aren't running out of melodies anytime soon.

I don't think BNE was a "melodic letdown" at all, but hell, I wouldn't argue that it's impossible to have "fresh" melodies in a song. There is a very audible contrast between bands like Opeth and Thrice who have a very unique sense of melody and professional composers who write stuff for the American Idol winners and such.

I know it's blasphemy around these parts, but I don't enjoy AWKIF anywhere near as much as either Riot! or BNE.

I've only been a fan of Paramore since June this year (and indeed, had no idea the band even existed until about a month before that, so accuse me of living under a rock lol), so I don't have that 4 years of AWKIF listening under my belt to potentially sway my feelings, due to nostalgia or whatever.

To be honest, I tend to just skip All We Know, Franklin and Never Let This Go all the time now. All We Know especially, I got sick of really quickly, the other 2 just never did much for me in the first place.

The other 2 albums, no need to skip anything for me, the song writing seems more consistent, especially so on BNE.

I guess at first, Paramore was generally something I only put on when my female friends came over, I guess as a sort of "soundtrack to our life" type of music, with all the happy vibes and stuff, but BNE I've really gotten to know by sitting down and listening to it alone, crying to it, rocking out to it, and dancing around the house like a teenage girl and trying to sing along when no one's home (albeit, quite out of tune lol) and I'm just totally feeling this album in so many different ways, more so than I expected when it first arrived at my door.

I know it's blasphemy around these parts, but I don't enjoy AWKIF anywhere near as much as either Riot! or BNE.

I've only been a fan of Paramore since June this year (and indeed, had no idea the band even existed until about a month before that, so accuse me of living under a rock lol), so I don't have that 4 years of AWKIF listening under my belt to potentially sway my feelings, due to nostalgia or whatever.

To be honest, I tend to just skip All We Know, Franklin and Never Let This Go all the time now. All We Know especially, I got sick of really quickly, the other 2 just never did much for me in the first place.

The other 2 albums, no need to skip anything for me, the song writing seems more consistent, especially so on BNE.

i agree with that, AWKIF is my least favourite album. if it wasn't paramore I probably wouldn't listen to it at all tbh, minus Conspiracy, Emergency and My Heart

Personally, i find Pressure, Emergency, Whoa, Brighter, My Heart, and Franklin, better than most songs off Riot and Brand New Eyes,

I like the rawness of the album, the screaming in my heart, the hayley/josh singing in Franklin, the guitar rift in Pressure, The cheeryness of Woah. I just prefer it as a whole.

Personally, i find Pressure, Emergency, Whoa, Brighter, My Heart, and Franklin, better than most songs off Riot and Brand New Eyes,

I like the rawness of the album, the screaming in my heart, the hayley/josh singing in Franklin, the guitar rift in Pressure, The cheeryness of Woah. I just prefer it as a whole.

i like them all :)

and i agree with you all too, paramore wouldnt be paramore without AWKIF though, i love listening to it and hearing how much theyve changed.

I'm putting it in this order, personally I feel it's an insult to say AWKIF is better than BNE cause I just love the music in BNE, the vocals, the progression of the instruments, and how not all songs sound the same. I feel on AWKIF the songs sound similar. That's just me.

BNE > AWKIF > RIOT! for me.

Although I LOVE For a Pessimist / Let the Flames Begin / crushx3 / Born for This

when i heard a few tracks from BNE i was like 'this sounds pretty good but not amazing' and i was slightly disappointed because over all the hype over the album i thought it was gonna be epic. but now i've listened to the album a few times, it's grown on me a lot more. at first i really didn't like 'misguided ghosts' but that's also grown on me. Riot is probably my favourite album because i can relate to the songs more on that album. but after listening to BNE for a bit, i really, really do like it and now always listen to it. ignorance is probably the best song on that album, hands down (: i never get tired of it and just wanna dance around like a crazy person :L

so yeah, that was my first impression XD

^ i'm the same. it's probably just as well though because i remember overplaying riot to the max when it came out and got sick of it dead quickly. don't really want that to happen, cos you start wanting new material right after they've only just released a record, haha.

tegan and sara's album has kinda took over my ipod at the minute, so i've not had paramore on much.

why do that? its not the end of the thread, there was a good debate going on...

That's true and all, but ultimately, if we are going to discuss what albums we like better, it's just going to be a circular discussion, because you like AWKIF more than I do and I like BNE and Riot! more, and it's just opinions isn't it?

What I do want to know however, is what "raw/rawness" means.

It's a term that gets thrown around quite often (and one I go out of my way to avoid using where possible) to the point where it almost becomes meaningless, because no one can seem to agree on a set definition of it.

And in particular, the term gets applied as a description of AWKIF is falling, but I'm not quite hearing this "rawness" everyone talks about.

The production is pretty polished sonically, the songs are well constructed and well written (I can admit that even if not all of them particular do anything for me).

I hear the term "raw" and I'm thinking black metal that's been recorded with a budget of 100 bucks in someone's basement with cheap shit recording equipment.

Why is AWKIF more "raw" than Riot and BNE? What does "raw" mean to you?

I totally see your point dude. To me All We Know Is Falling is not radio-friendly. Riot! and Brand New Eyes is radio friendly. I find it hard to describe what i mean sometimes, but like.. you can just tell the difference between the production of AWKIF and Riot/BNE. Im not the most informative when it comes to music instruments and the details of their recordings. But if you listen to the guitar in say.. emergency and pressure, and then listen to it in Careful. There is a difference.

I just love the screaming in my heart, You wont find Josh screaming anymore, id be surprised if he ever does it again, Studio or Live.

But i also love hayley's voice in AWKIF. Its not the same in BNE, its more higher pitched, and there is no doubting the qualities in her voice but i just prefer her vocals in AWKIF. Some might find that bizarre, but as ive said, this doesnt mean i dont like BNE.

Even David Bendeth admits Riot! was a fairly poppy affair.

This is directly quoted from Bendeth himself from the Gearslutz.com forum board, regarding Brand New Eyes:

"So where are we today? The record is out, the sound has taken a back seat and the lyrics and vocals are up front. The songs are not radio hits and the band has elected to go the artistic route, which to me is very brave"

Given the guy worked closely with the band, it's the kind of opinion I can take with more than a grain of salt, because frankly, the guy knows his fucking shit.

I pretty much agree with him, I tend to see Brand New Eyes as stepping into a very much alternative rock realm with the pop influence/sound being very minimized compared to the previous two records.

I think it was a great move on the part of Paramore, to just step up and just show to the world they wanted to make a record truly close to their hearts, even if it meant it wouldn't be as commercially appealing musically as the previous records.

It was obviously still quite successful regardless of taking the artistic leap, but of course this is a band that has the reputation of 2 solid albums behind them already anyway.

I'm a bit of an audio engineering buff personally (it's pretty much all I read about these days, aside from guitar and bass guitar, I don't even read fictional books at all lol) and you'll find a post I wrote, I dunno how many pages back now, maybe 15-20 or so , in this thread, but I explain why, in terms of the sonics of the production in fairly layman terms, why Riot! sounds different from Brand New Eyes and how the production affects the listener on a sub conscious level despite the fact they may not have the technical understanding of audio engineering that someone like myself (or indeed, a master like David Bendeth who mixed Riot!, or perhaps Chris Lord Alge who mixed Brand New Eyes) may possess.

I guess somehow, you might be able to understand what I was saying in that post and apply it to your perspective of AWKIF as well.

That's true and all, but ultimately, if we are going to discuss what albums we like better, it's just going to be a circular discussion, because you like AWKIF more than I do and I like BNE and Riot! more, and it's just opinions isn't it?

What I do want to know however, is what "raw/rawness" means.

It's a term that gets thrown around quite often (and one I go out of my way to avoid using where possible) to the point where it almost becomes meaningless, because no one can seem to agree on a set definition of it.

And in particular, the term gets applied as a description of AWKIF is falling, but I'm not quite hearing this "rawness" everyone talks about.

The production is pretty polished sonically, the songs are well constructed and well written (I can admit that even if not all of them particular do anything for me).

I hear the term "raw" and I'm thinking black metal that's been recorded with a budget of 100 bucks in someone's basement with cheap shit recording equipment.

Why is AWKIF more "raw" than Riot and BNE? What does "raw" mean to you?

thanks Harry lol