Opinions after a year...

the1

I like both albums but I think RIOT! lacks in originality, its similar to stacks of bands out there and face it, the lyrics on some of the songs suckkk.

When it came out it wasen't what i expected from Paramore and it still isen't

it's grown on me heaps though

as far as music videos go, EMERGENCY ftw.

need I say more?

Personally I can't listen to Riot! anymore without cringing. I've heard it so many times that I am starting to notice stuff like the generic bass line that goes through each song, the times when the vocals are not so good and some of the really child like lyrics. I think I get more out of the bonus tracks now but even they are wearing thin.

They could've been so much bigger than they are with this album if they had a real label behind them so hopefully that wont be a problem with the next album if they decided to leave FBR (which I hope they do).

I don't really like riot.. here's why.

I feel like when awkif was produced, they were a band that the label was taking a chance on. They didn't really exert any pressure upon them about their sound.. so subsequently they recorded songs they thought were cool. They didn't have to worry about a giant radio fanbase.

With riot I felt like it was a little more 'real'. FBR feeding into a major, increased exposure, sellout tours. Even if they deny it, that pressure to produce hits is always there.. I felt like they steered away from material they'd appreciate more.

Hopefully they next one is more rock and less fluff.

lyrics on some of the songs suck?! which songs, exactly :P

O_o; About 80% of them (awkif included). They don't really say anything, and when they do they lack substance. They've always just been a medium to Hayley's genius melody writing skills.

Not to say that it's a big deal, it's just how music is now.. I always end up referring to a quote from that movie with drew barymore and the english dude (Song and Lyrics?) The melody is the sex, the lyrics are getting to know the person afterwards. And in the world we live in.. lets face it, the majority just want the sex.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that Trevor!

You can find meaning in any lyrics if your an obsessive fan of the band and you force a meaning out of them (which a lot of Paramore fans do) but if you look at the lyrics objectionably you can see that there really isn't that much there.

Besides your typical fan never really listens to the words anyway :rotfl:

well

Riot! each song is very differnt from the other. but lyricly its not all there for me. like i can only relate to one song at a time. ive loved it over time. hayleys voice blows me away on it and zac's drumming. but it just so... pop. (favorite songs: born for this, stop this song, temporary, miracle)

but AWKIF the songs are similiar but yet good in there own way. i find more meaning out of each one in some way. and i dont get sick of any of the songs on that record.. ever. there always good. i can listen to them over and over again and somethin about hayleys voice. its not as good as it is on riot but its like so interesting to really listen to it. each song just seem more complex than riots songs.

here we go again, emergency, brighter, franklin and woah are my favorite ones. i dont think they can be beat.

They could've been so much bigger than they are with this album if they had a real label behind them so hopefully that wont be a problem with the next album if they decided to leave FBR (which I hope they do).

They have a real label behind them. Watch the end of the TWYG video.

I don't really like riot.. here's why.

I feel like when awkif was produced, they were a band that the label was taking a chance on. They didn't really exert any pressure upon them about their sound.. so subsequently they recorded songs they thought were cool. They didn't have to worry about a giant radio fanbase.

With riot I felt like it was a little more 'real'. FBR feeding into a major, increased exposure, sellout tours. Even if they deny it, that pressure to produce hits is always there.. I felt like they steered away from material they'd appreciate more.

Hopefully they next one is more rock and less fluff.

RIOT! is certainly more polished, but I have never gotten the impression, at all, that it was anything other than the album they wanted to make.

O_o; About 80% of them (awkif included). They don't really say anything, and when they do they lack substance. They've always just been a medium to Hayley's genius melody writing skills.

This isn't the first time I've heard this criticism of the band - in fact, from what I remember, Scott Heisel tossed it out there in his review for AP of the album. I don't happen to agree, but then I don't look for song lyrics to be great literature. I look for them to work within the melody and to help drive the overall feeling,theme and impression I get from the piece of music. On those counts, I think Paramore writes some incredible lyrics.

And there are specific lines I can cite that mean as much to me as any lines in any song:

"going back to get away after everything has changed"

"it's not faith if you use your eyes"

But hey - everyone's entitled to their opinion :)

i know that the first song i ever heard by paramore was emergency. at first i was like...ya this is good..whatever. so i started listening to them and then when riot came out last year the first song i heard was we are broken and i was like damn..this band can write. the lyrics are so deep, and Trevor said that all people want are the melodies. for me its the lyrics that mean the most, don't get me wrong, the melodies help. but the lyrics are what i relate to the most. if a song has a great melody than that's just an added bonus for me.

AWKIF is great. Riot! is great. and i trust Hayley and the guys enough that their next record is going to be great, they've got the talent. but I don't think at all that Paramore should change labels and leave FBR. I'm confident that they won't either...thank god.

i'm quite sick of riot now. it's just one of those albums, i think. i feel as though it's one of those ones that you can listen to for like a few months, or over the summer or something.. but then it gets pretty boring. i did like it though.

it's a different story with all we know is falling. it'll never get old.

i'm quite sick of riot now. it's just one of those albums, i think. i feel as though it's one of those ones that you can listen to for like a few months, or over the summer or something.. but then it gets pretty boring. i did like it though.

+1

It's just... Every song sounds very similar to me. Not like, melody wise, but style wise. It's all way too bubble gum!

They have a real label behind them. Watch the end of the TWYG video.

Have they signed to Atlantic or is it just a distribution deal?

If they have signed to them then I hope Warners don't have too much control over their music/direction after all look what they did to MCR :???:

i agree.

the last time i listened to riot from 1-10, was probably last september.

it was my summer before senior year record. thats about all i can say about it.

but i just listened to awkif yesterday from beginning to end, it never gets old.

riot will always be that summer record for me. i love it, but not in the same way that i do awkif.

This isn't the first time I've heard this criticism of the band - in fact, from what I remember, Scott Heisel tossed it out there in his review for AP of the album. I don't happen to agree, but then I don't look for song lyrics to be great literature. I look for them to work within the melody and to help drive the overall feeling,theme and impression I get from the piece of music. On those counts, I think Paramore writes some incredible lyrics.

And there are specific lines I can cite that mean as much to me as any lines in any song:

"going back to get away after everything has changed"

"it's not faith if you use your eyes"

But hey - everyone's entitled to their opinion :)

I agree that her wording and end sentence phrasing is very good; as these are aspects of good melody writing skills. But as far as content.. as much as I love the band.. it's pretty vacant. You don't have to look very far to get my point.

And we've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

We've got everybody singing

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

You can't argue with me, that means nothing. It's just a medium to which they instill those catchy "I'm never going to forget this" melodies.. which is all it takes considering we listen to music foremost for the sonic pleasure of it.

However.. I love lyrics that I read and stick with me. Ones that make me stop and think; to which I can smile afterwards because I realize what they're talking about and how creative it was to put it in the way that they did. Take for example any of the new circa lyrics.

If blood is thicker than water then,

You'll drown quicker than we intended,

If blood is thicker than water then,

You'll know where you can find us in the end.

or

The world is a dream,

and nothing is worth it,

Unless you have a God.

His lyrics speak about heavy religious doubt and struggle. Things I can authentically relate to. Delving into substance rich lyrics is one of the most pleasing aspects of music. The last circa phrase quoted can mean so many things to different people.. but getting to know what he is saying and understanding it is something really rewarding. It's the same connection we feel to paramore after reading Hayley's Livejournal entries over the years.. you end up feeling like you know them better.

-------

I waited eight long months,

She finally set him free..

She's got it out for me,

But I wear the biggest smile..

Whoa, I never meant to brag

But, I got him where I want him now.

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag

To steal it all away from you now.

But god does it feel so good,

Cause I got him where I want him now.

And if you could then you know you would.

-------

When I start delving into Hayley's lyrics they usually fall into 2 categories. Either they're A) Too vague to understand what she's saying. Look at Emergency lyrics; until she came out and said they were about domestic issues NO ONE would of been able to guess that. And saying that they're purposefully left open ended so that people can apply their own meaning to it is sugarcoating at its finest. B) There are inconsistencies that deflate the songs potency. In Misery Business she talks about a girl using her sexual power to manipulate those around her, in this case a boy Hayley likes [im being very blunt]. So what does Hayley do about it? As far as we know, nothing. She waits "Eight months" for her to "Set him free". I take that as a literal meaning of them breaking up. After waiting for this certain period of time, she gets with this guy, and this for some unknown reason makes this girl jealous. This was her lyrical intention but it makes no sense. Why would this girl care for a guy she "set free"? "Steal[ing] it all away from you now" would entail that she actually stole the guy from her, but due to the vague misleading lyrics in the verse, the listener is told that Hayley simply waited for them to be done.. doesn't sound like stealing to me. I'm sure the actual account of the story is full of fights and tears and anger.. all things that could have created a vivid image. But she fails to word it in a manner that is fluid and easy to understand.

But hey, we all sing along anyway.

i agree.

the last time i listened to riot from 1-10, was probably last september.

it was my summer before senior year record. thats about all i can say about it.

but i just listened to awkif yesterday from beginning to end, it never gets old.

riot will always be that summer record for me. i love it, but not in the same way that i do awkif.

Yeah, with Riot I feel like "man this is a long album" and then I compare it to AWKIF and they're practically the same length. But I feel with AWKIF when I listen to it, I'm like "what? it's finished already? I want more!". I can listen to AWKIF from start to finish easy, but with Riot, it's more difficult.

And Trevor, you brought something to my attention there that to be honest I never noticed. Enjoying the debate guys (y)