Debate Thread

the1

well i dont exactly like stereotypes because some groups get let down more than others

even tho i don't like them i still "classify" people. i think thats how everyone is tho even if they say they dont they still do

but i don't like down on one "group" or anything. everyone is equal no matter how you look, dress, what you listen to, how your homelife is, etc...

Yeah, I agree with some of that. I don't particularly see myself as anything inparticular, but I admit when I see certain people hanging around, I think of them as emo/skater/goth/chav etc.

I think it's sad that there are so many labels and such now. I am good friends with a girl who couldn't be more different than me, we have nothing in common personally, but we have a lot of classes together, so just get along automatically. Some people I know feel like you should only talk to people just like you though and I find that annoying. :/

yeah exactly. i hate when people do that.

i'll talk to anyone no matter if they are different from me or not. that doesnt bother me at all.

i used to be a cheerleader for most of my life but yet i always listened to rock, alternative, and things like that and i didn't/don't dress like the typical cheerleader so everyone always found it hard to believe that i did cheerleading because since i was a cheerleader people expected me to act and dress differently.

Yeah and everyone is entitled to their own interests, just because you didn't dress the same nor listen to the same music as them doesn't mean you can't enjoy something the same as them.

You always hear of groups fighting and stuff because they're into different things and it's just unnecessary. :nono:

Stereotypes are just a waste of time,in my opinion. Every single person is unique and it would be pretty much impossible to "add" a person to a certain label,just because of a music type or something. Usually,where there's a label,there's this list of "things"/"qualities" that actually would describe this label. And I don't know,there's never going to be a perfect fit for a stereotype or something. And a person could be avoided because of this.

Sorry if this was.. incomprehensible or something.

Stereotypes haven't come out of nowhere. We are effected by our social surroundings, whether it means our friends or acquaintances from the internet or whatever. We like to think that we're not at the mercy of our natural instincts, but we are, so it's not a shame to admit that you draw influences from people you either look up to or just interact with. Feeling of belonging does bring comfort in a strange environment, but it's all tainted when people start to talk about sheep and such. It's their/our own choice so stay away from it!

I think thinking of people as different stereotypes does help you in predicting their behavior (of course in a simplified manner), so why does the word have such a negative ring to it? Because it's usually connected with the extreme forms of prejudice and self-bloating (both ways). I think the mindset of "oh, but I'm not this and that because I do this and that" is just as bad as "they are not this and that because they do this and that" because in the first one you are drawing a line between yourself and the supposed stereotype and then emphasizing your own uniqueness. Isn't that the kind of self-consciousness that you hate in those who use stereotypes as a way of making final judgments about other people?

What I'm (hopefully) saying is that stereotypes don't necessarily have to equal extreme prejudice and labeling because we do draw influence from our surroundings and, if you have enough social awareness, you can use it to your advantage as long as you still remember that people will mostly likely have certain unique features about themselves and it's dumb to assume otherwise.

• Like 1

I have one. My class almost daily have a debate about religion, or Christianity really. One of the guys in my class is super christian, and for him all the people that don't believe in Jesus will end up in hell, or burn in hell is more right. Another girl in my class is really christian too, but a little bit different type. She thinks that you don't end up in hell if you don't believe in God or Jesus. You need to do something to end up there, something bad obviously. And also hell is not like people would describe it, hot and burning. It's a place where you can't feel love.

So my question is, what do you think about this?

I know religion debates is not good on here, hahah. But I don't want to make this about religions overall and what you think about them. Just about hell, and of the two examples I wrote down, what do you think is the most right one and why. Or none of them ofc :P

i think religion is a personal thing and no one should try and force their beliefs on someone else

Oh I love Jehovah's witnesses, this woman just last week stopped me in the street and said "would you like to end all suffering in the world?" I said "No thanks I'm alright as it is" and walked off.

Oh I love Jehovah's witnesses, this woman just last week stopped me in the street and said "would you like to end all suffering in the world?" I said "No thanks I'm alright as it is" and walked off.

i actually just laughed out loud and now a bunch of old ladies with foil in their hair are looking at me funny :shifty:

I know religion debates is not good on here, hahah. But I don't want to make this about religions overall and what you think about them. Just about hell, and of the two examples I wrote down, what do you think is the most right one and why. Or none of them ofc :P

Neither :P

I don't think there's a hell, I think though if you do good things in this life you'll be rewarded in another life. Yeah, I believe in reincarnation, or another life. I wouldn't call myself religious, I don't go to church and some things religious people say does make me laugh, but for me something must have created the Universe but I don't think it was a bloke with a beard :shifty:

Religion is hardly debatable as it is, mostly because of what everyone here will probably say anyway: "faith shouldn't be forced on anyone".

While we're at it, though, I'll say that I don't believe in God or anything else that's told in the Bible, but I'm still christian in a sense that I'm a member of the church and I don't mind having it around. I can take a few zealots telling me I'm going to hell when the church is still doing a lot of good in this world.