Debate Thread

the1

I'd say yes to the death penalty, but only for murder and only if the evidence is 100% solid. Mistakes happened in the past, which are only being realised today because of the technology we now have and so theoretically there should be less mistakes in 2009 than in say 1979.

Treason I'm not so sure about since the UK is so split these days.

i'm personally against the death penalty. i believe that everybody has the right to life. i think it would be a much worse punishment to let someone live the rest of their life in a prison, alone, guilty, and unhappy then to just kill them. i also think that the death penalty, in certain cases, can be slightly hypocritical. it's like "to show that killing is wrong, we are going to kill you..."

thing is, prison isn't as scary as it should be. face it. it's barely even a punishment anymore

True and many prisons are over-crowded. Oh and the fact that most sentences these days are piss weak and (some) "Life" sentences aren't actually "Life" sentences at all.

I figure we'd be better off having murderers serve the death penalty so it frees up more space in UK prisons, and so people like rapists and paedophiles can then serve real sentences in prisons that aren't so over-crowded cause at the moment rapists/paedophiles are getting earlier releases because there's no room in prisons.

True and many prisons are over-crowded. Oh and the fact that most sentences these days are piss weak and (some) "Life" sentences aren't actually "Life" sentences at all.

I figure we'd be better off having murderers serve the death penalty so it frees up more space in UK prisons, and so people like rapists and paedophiles can then serve real sentences in prisons that aren't so over-crowded.

Perfect point made!!

I haven't. :shifty: I'm sure someone else has though.

It's set in the future where they have serious criminals killed in a gameshow setting lol the criminals are released into an abandonded city and they are hunted down. The movie has Arnold Schwarzenegger play a wrongly convicted criminal trying to escape from it.

Anyyyywaaay .... :shifty:

I'd say yes to the death penalty, but only for murder and only if the evidence is 100% solid. Mistakes happened in the past, which are only being realised today because of the technology we now have and so theoretically there should be less mistakes in 2009 than in say 1979.

Treason I'm not so sure about since the UK is so split these days.

But they must have thought they were 100% correct when they made those decisions, it's only with, as you said, new technology that they found out they were wrong. What if the same happened now? And advancements in technology down the line showed that people sentenced, and killed, now were actually wrongfully committed?

It's set in the future where they have serious criminals killed in a gameshow setting lol the criminals are released into an abandonded city and they are hunted down. The movie has Arnold Schwarzenegger play a wrongly convicted criminal trying to escape from it.

Anyyyywaaay .... :shifty:

OH I SAW THAT! :)

But they must have thought they were 100% correct when they made those decisions, it's only with, as you said, new technology that they found out they were wrong. What if the same happened now? And advancements in technology down the line showed that people sentenced, and killed, now were actually wrongfully committed?

Yeah I see your point but I still think there's a difference today than in the past and today's technology is pretty solid. In the past police could easily set someone up and say "it was him, I swear my gut feeling is right" as opposed to finger prints, and DNA, etc of today. Dunno how you can get DNA wrong these days. Not sure how you can advance from that. Unless of course someone invents a machine that can look into a dead person's brain and see the last 2 minutes of their life or something :lol:

OH I SAW THAT! :)

8-)

Yeah I see your point but I still think there's a difference today than in the past and today's technology is pretty solid. In the past police could easily set someone up and say "it was him, I swear my gut feeling is right" as opposed to finger prints, and DNA, etc of today. Dunno how you can get DNA wrong these days. Not sure how you can advance from that. Unless of course someone invents a machine that can look into a dead person's brain and see the last 2 minutes of their life or something :lol:

Yeah, but, again, they probably thought there were no more advancements in 1970 ;-) There is still ways to set people up too, so.. y'know :P

nope to the death penalty.

i feel a life in jail is more punishment than death itself.

OHHF! You're hardcore.

Life in prison. I believe that should mean until they die.

I also wonder a lot if maybe prisoners should have the choice if they want to be killed or not. Like..anytime they want it. I mean...after years in prison....death might seem friendly.