Debate Thread

the1

I'd just like to say I'm glad I live in the UK :shifty:

I think people in America don't want to pay for "other people's healthcare" by taxes because they're not used to it. Me personally, I've never thought of me paying for "crack heads" healthcare, because I pay taxes and national insurance and that's just the way it's been for me. I never thought about it you know? Taxes are taxes and the national insurance is making sure I get a pension when I'm old.

But I was wondering, would crack heads as you put it, actually go to a hospital? :lol: Like actually be able to go to a hospital, actually be served by staff, actually be given an appointment and be able to remember it and get there on time? Crack heads live for their next high and that's it, they wouldn't give two shits about getting some free health care. I'm being a bit pedantic I know :P

I supppose if 300million people need health care then it's pretty much impossible to give it to them all, there would need to be set "rules" so the American government doesn't fuck everything up. I wonder if a "Healthcare Benefit" would work better? For people on low incomes who can't afford to actually pay for their health care?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I've been thinking about this alot recently and I'm curious about other peoples opinions.

Organ donation (after passing away,not while being alive 'cause that's a different topic)

Here in Holland some people think there should be a rule that says everbody who doesn't fill in that they disagree with donation after death are automatically 'in', because alot of people die because of damaged organs etc, while many people want to become a donor but forget to sign the file.

And I agree.

Any people on here who have signed a file like that? Considering? Or what are your reasons for not being/wanting to become a donor?

when i'm 18 i'll sign up to be an organ donor.

if i have perfectly functioning organs why not let someone who needs them have them? i dont need them when i pass. they just get thrown away anyway so why not give it to someone who can use it?

if a had a family member who needed a lung or something i would want some one to help out and give a lung if they don't need it.

by being an organ donor you could save someone's life.

I would like to become an organ donor. ...not in any forseeable future, y'know, but yeah.

i don't know why you wouldn't. i can understand it's not pretty and the idea is quite intrusive- but once you're dead, you're dead. even most religions acknowledge the fact that once you're dead your spirit moves on, leaving the body behind. so why not ? helping someone else out who evidently needs it ? i'm down. i give blood every 4 months as it is, and will sign up for the organ donor thing.

i remember thinking about it a couple months ago and i think i decided i'll leave it up to someone else

you can do that, right?

like if i end up married and i die first i'll leave whatever kind of decisions to him

if he's fine with my kidneys going to someone else, cool

if he'd rather they sit in the ground with the rest of me, that's cool too

i'm dead so i can't really be picky either way

i remember thinking about it a couple months ago and i think i decided i'll leave it up to someone else

you can do that, right?

like if i end up married and i die first i'll leave whatever kind of decisions to him

if he's fine with my kidneys going to someone else, cool

if he'd rather they sit in the ground with the rest of me, that's cool too

i'm dead so i can't really be picky either way

i know this is a serious subject but i cant help but to laugh to what Kayla said...ahahha

since my country is a bit arrested development and most of the donated organs ends up on a black market... idk if i would want to donate them when i am 99,9% sure that some fat lazy doctor would sell them for money. But if i end up in some better country i will think of a possibillity of being a donor. But i am a blood donor

Yeah you can also do that Kayla.

I agree with you guys, you won't need them after you've died and you can saves someone else's life with donating them.

I'm signing up when I turn 18 and plan on telling some family members about it now, so that just in case, they knew what I wanted.

My only concern about organ donation is that if someone has a new organ, their body may not "accept it" if you know what I mean. Actually what would happen then if the person getting the organ, their body rejected it? Would they take it back out and put it back in the dead person? :shifty:

I don't really have much of an opinion on organ donation, not against it, not for it, I'm in the middle.

I.. dunnno. For myself I think I'd be okay with it, but if someone I loved died, I don't think I like the thought of their organs given to a stranger.

exactly what i was thinking

which is why i figured i'd leave that decision for someone who probably cares more about what happens to me after i'm dead than i do

Well yeah but atleast they've tried. If the organ stays inside you it's not gonna do anything rather than just stink and disappear.

Ive read stories about a family member taking comfort out of

the thought that even though their loved one had gone way too soon, he had saved 3 other people's lifes.

okay well i could see that being weird going to a stranger.

but what if that stranger was your uncle (or whatever) and this person's organ is the only one that could save his life

and if the body rejected this new organ at least you can say you tried. it's better than not trying at all

this isn't an attack, i am just genuinely curious - why ?

I think it's cause it'd be like.. you know they're dead, but you try not to think about whats happened to their body? And knowing it was cut up and things taken out of it, makes it seem more real.. if that makes any sense haha.

But I guess knowing they helped save lives would be a sort of closure. It'd still be a hard decision to make thoughh.

when i got my learner's permit i had to decide if i wanted to be an organ doner or not. for me a it was a no brainer. if i die, i'm obviously not going to be using my organs. i'd like to think that i could save a life by being an organ doner. i mean it just makes sense.

oh and i've heard the rumor that if you are an organ doner and you get in a car crash or anything, they don't work as hard to save you, because they want your organs. that's rediculous and untrue.